• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria rufilata communal

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I have a lot of experience in Black Widows. They are written up as not being communal in any way. In Texas I have seen several times rocky areas that cover a few square feet, covered in widows. No more than 6" away from each other. I have a friend in Arizona that has a large lave type rock in his yard. Roll it over and maybe 100 widows are living in the small holes, some not more than an inch from another. Communal means they do it because they know what they are doing and do it for the betterment of all. Tolerant is showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with. I doubt they are knowingly helping each other, but they are tolerating each other. So in what we are following here, I think communal experiment is a perfect way to put it.
So in other words they tolerate each other? If they were communal, you would have no cases of mass destruction IMO within the species/genus. If you look at Genera like Stegodyphus they are fully communal in whichever situation they are put. They hunt together and each have a role to play within the community.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
When I first heard of communally kept ts I was amazed id never heard of this then I saw an actual community of pink toes and I just had to try it my favourite ts are pokies and when I found out they have been kept like this I had to try it everyday is a learning curb for me and having the regalis in with the rufilatas just amazed me even more some people will hate and some like you guys will allso be amazed It might turn nasty it might not either way it's all about learning I really hope it doesn't turn nasty because I love my ts and just the thought of having these big rufilatas all together is unreal again thanks to the response to everyone commenting on my posts

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I have a lot of experience in Black Widows. They are written up as not being communal in any way. In Texas I have seen several times rocky areas that cover a few square feet, covered in widows. No more than 6" away from each other. I have a friend in Arizona that has a large lava type rock in his yard. Roll it over and maybe 100 widows are living in the small holes, some not more than an inch from another. Communal means they do it because they know what they are doing and do it for the betterment of all. Tolerant is showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with. I doubt they are knowingly helping each other, but they are tolerating each other. So in what we are following here, I think communal experiment is a perfect way to put it.
I love widows all we have in England is the false widow but even that looks amazing and they also live very close together loads of them in my garden on the fence inches away from each other I went out one night with a torch and saw males in every web trying to mate with the females amazing stuff

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
That's why I separated my rufilata, formosa and subfusca communals. After my striata communal went south quickly, I just couldn't risk losing any more spiders, especially not those species. I was also a huge believer in communal enclosures, but now after trying pokies for a few years communally, I have definately changed my view. These are tolerant at best, and they can turn on each other with no real notice. Just not worth it for me to pull pieces of spiders and loose legs out of enclosures if I don't have to. Obviously it is your choice, and it could go either way, but just prepare yourself to possibly lose some spiders.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have no idea. I have searched around and not found anything on one. But considering their normal docile nature and super cheap price, seems thats the way to go for a first time try.
Well you've got guts,I am on permanent alert with my pokie communal setups at the slightest chance of something going wrong I'm pulling them apart. Even though my regalis one has been together for years,and a mature male died of naturally and there is a new male that has absolutely went out mating all the females except one or maybe he did and I missed it haha.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I have never heard of a g.rosea communal setup ? Is that even possible ?

Since so many are WC and shipped to the US, does anyone know how they are shipped?? I doubt very much each is in a container alone, but maybe so. It would be alot of containers. Just think of 100 all packed in the same box, being bounced around for a few days, no food, no water. That would be a great test of how they interact in a closed area.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I love widows all we have in England is the false widow but even that looks amazing and they also live very close together loads of them in my garden on the fence inches away from each other I went out one night with a torch and saw males in every web trying to mate with the females amazing stuff

Thats so cool ! Most people will tell you Black Widows will not live next to each other, they will kill until only one is left. I know for a fact this is not true, and I think you have shed light on this too.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Since so many are WC and shipped to the US, does anyone know how they are shipped?? I doubt very much each is in a container alone, but maybe so. It would be alot of containers. Just think of 100 all packed in the same box, being bounced around for a few days, no food, no water. That would be a great test of how they interact in a closed area.

If they are wild caught juvies or adults, they will be shipped in separate containers. As slings (2nd/3rd instar), they are often shipped in one container. You would probably find that as slings the last thing on their mind is food with all of the disruptions. So yes, their would probably be minimal losses, but doesn't mean they all work together to survive or for the good of the "colony"

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
If they are wild caught juvies or adults, they will be shipped in separate containers. As slings (2nd/3rd instar), they are often shipped in one container. You would probably find that as slings the last thing on their mind is food with all of the disruptions. So yes, their would probably be minimal losses, but doesn't mean they all work together to survive or for the good of the "colony"

I know a very big importer in Florida. I will ask him how they are received and what condition.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
So I got a pic it was difficult with the plastic and the lighting but here's all 6 just chilling who can spot the regalis
2014-12-04-20-47-37.png

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Left top?? That is one creepy picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So very cool!!
Lol the colours in the rufies are really coming out the more I look the more colours I see and yes top left is the regalis can't wait for the clear band and the yellow legs on that one

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Lol just wanna get in there and snuggle up wiv em looks cosy lol

I really think what you're doing is great and I'm so glad the other board didn't think so. Have you been keeping insane detailed records? This should be written up and could be a standard for others to go by. This is a very important project for the tarantula community. I know we are on different sides of the pond, but if there is anything I can do to help, contacting the right people, proof reading, helping publish, whatever, I would be glad to.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I really think what you're doing is great and I'm so glad the other board didn't think so. Have you been keeping insane detailed records? This should be written up and could be a standard for others to go by. This is a very important project for the tarantula community. I know we are on different sides of the pond, but if there is anything I can do to help, contacting the right people, proof reading, helping publish, whatever, I would be glad to.
Any updates ive been putting on this post I think whats special about this communal (aka the wolf pack) lol is the fact it has 2 different species but it's very early days yet it could all go tits up I hope not but that's the chance maybe when they are all matured and all is still ok I could write my experience up ☺