• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria rufilata communal

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
UPDATE: communal doing really well all feeding well I reckon more moults in a couple of weeks but what I wanted to update you all with is the regalis who's separated it self from the rufies it's quite amazing because I know these spiders "tolerate" each other rather than wanting to be together but the last couple of weeks the 5 rufilatas have decided to join the regalis all six of them are bundled together on the lid of the enclosure at night you can see them all spread out in the enclosure beautiful site I have some close up pics im getting into macro photography just saving up for a macro lens
IMG_0416-picsay.JPG
IMG_0403-picsay.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I have seperated my communal rufilata and am considering doing the same for some others. Had total destruction in my striata communal when the 2 males matured. For some of the harder to get species like rufilata and subfusca (And the upcoming metallica babies) I have decided it is not worth the risk. Just watch for any aggression when the males mature, because it turns ugly fast. Went from 9 striata to 2 pairs in seperate enclosures now.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
No, surprisingly not. They seemed to cause the females to go crazy. The mother of all of the slings killed off 2 of the younger females. so I seperated her and one mature male and left the remaining 3 females, 1 male and 1 subadult unsexed. A few days later only 1 female and 1 male were left. Seems that the females want the males all to themselves.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Jesus. So unpredictable just when you think all is going well ive noticed attitude changes within each moult im gonna keep an eye mine have a while till they mature but I will be much more wary now

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Where do you live America? In England rufilatas ate really easy to get and there pretty cheap. So did they all go mental as soon as they matured or was it a gradual thing

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
In South Africa. I was the first and possibly the only one to breed these here, so other than illegal imports they are not very common. Regarding the striata, it was just a sudden overnight thing

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
In South Africa. I was the first and possibly the only one to breed these here, so other than illegal imports they are not very common. Regarding the striata, it was just a sudden overnight thing
Wow no wonder you wanna keep your rufilatas safe nice one. There was nothing you could of done with the striata if it was an overnight thing no warning nothing I suppose what we've learnt here is if you don't wanna risk it separate them before they mature. Since my regalis has moulted he /she has been with the rufies in the half tube which is all webbed up now so I reckon more moults soon thanks for the info anyway and good luck with more breeding

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Another update:
All slings have now moulted again these guys are getting big after the next moult I think an enclosure upgrade is in need still all getting along just making sure they are all well fed I'll post some more pics soon

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Hi guys I wasn't gonna do an update for a while but my biggest and last of the 6 slings has moulted and it's got me very excited ive tried taking pics but you can't see the size of this beauti she is gorgeous the colours are really coming out and she must be 2 times bigger than the rest gonna keep a close eye on her and keep her well fed lol just wanted to share this with you
(Tarantula forums is the only place interested in what I have to share)View attachment 6210View attachment 6211 View attachment 6210 View attachment 6211 View attachment 6212

You are so right about being the only place interested. That other "popular" board, all they want to do is run people down and argue. What you're giving us is amazing. Their loss!!

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
The easiest way to look at it is that pokies are not communal, but just quite tolerant of each other.

I have a lot of experience in Black Widows. They are written up as not being communal in any way. In Texas I have seen several times rocky areas that cover a few square feet, covered in widows. No more than 6" away from each other. I have a friend in Arizona that has a large lava type rock in his yard. Roll it over and maybe 100 widows are living in the small holes, some not more than an inch from another. Communal means they do it because they know what they are doing and do it for the betterment of all. Tolerant is showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with. I doubt they are knowingly helping each other, but they are tolerating each other. So in what we are following here, I think communal experiment is a perfect way to put it.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are so right about being the only place interested. That other "popular" board, all they want to do is run people down and argue. What you're giving us is amazing. Their loss!!
Hello
Sadly on every single board there's a person who is like that,they think since they've been in the hobby a while they can sarcastically remark or demean a person. Those are the people I like the most,since the grave they dig they usually fall into themselves and I will even put a flower on the aforementioned grave :).

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I never ever thought about trying a communal. But now I might give it a try. I can get G rosea slings for $5 each. Think I'll get 7-8 and see what happens. Terror_corpz you are already making a difference in the hobby !!

Latest posts