• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria rufilata communal

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Quick update on the communal so I threw in some crickets and something quite amazed me but scared me at the same time. The regalis and 1 rufilata went for the same cricket. The regalis narrowly missed and the rufie was on the regalis feeling around on him. What scared me was I thought for a second he was gonna chomp on him but what amazed me was the rufilata realised it wasn't food and that was it. Thing is when I put the crickets in all the T's start moving around in the hide then boom feeding frenzy crickets and spiders running all over the place but they still know what is food and what isn't. Then it calms down a couple of spiders don't have food then it's like as if they know who has food and theres a little chase on "gimme that cricket" one trys to snatch one from the other but his not letting him. All of a sudden a loan cricket on the other end of the tank having a drink and a regalis knows his there and pounces straight on him. The cricket is no where near him UNBELIEVABLE
God, I wish I could see all this. To me, you and Martin are making some tarantula history here ! Communal set ups may become a lot more common. I know I'm looking into it.

Last edited:

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
God, I wish I could see all this. To me, you and Martin are making some tarantula history here ! Communal set ups
God, I wish I could see all this. To me, you and Martin are making some tarantula history here ! Communal set ups may become a lot more common. I know I'm looking into it.
I will try and post a feeding video if it comes out good

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Not to take anything away from terror_corpz, but these have been done for a number of years already. The majority of the people who have been doing these have split theirs up though after seeing the results. :(

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Not to take anything away from terror_corpz, but these have been done for a number of years already. The majority of the people who have been doing these have split theirs up though after seeing the results. :(

Kind of a buzz kill there. Maybe terror_corpz and Martin won't be in the majority. Most of us hope so anyway. Martin has an established communal and terror_corpz could be on his way to one. I don't think you can take anything away from him. He's having a great time doing this and is taking us along for the ride.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Sorry, just being realistic. :) Been keeping communals for a few years now and at some stage 95% of them go South. Just know the feeling when you walk in one day and there are legs lying everywhere and one fat spider. :(

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418241612449.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418241612449.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34