• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ventral Sexing.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the 1st 3 are pretty blurry but It looks like I can see a fisillae(male) however the last pic, looks female. can you get a clearer pic with less flash?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah the first three were when I had no clue at all, the last one I had slightly more of a clue....I'll go try again LOL

Ok..here's a new pic. I really suck at taking pictures close up, and really have no clue how to use the macro setting (obviously lol).

Attachments

• IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 43

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's alway hard to sex through glass, but she looks female. That's by no means a guarantee, but I don't see a visable indication of a male.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for taking a look Kenny! We were told she was female from the guy who gave her to us, but he was pretty clueless about everything else I didn't want to take his word on it. I'll get some pics of her moult when it happens...and I'll keep fiddling with my camera and see if I can get any better shots to you. Really hope she is female :D

Atx13

3 Year Member
the chaco is male, almost 100% sure on that, the... what im assuming is an obt? is a female, pretty sure on that as well. Correct me otherwise :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Probably sounds very unproffesional and silly but i am scared of finding out what sex they are. I just want to enjoy there childhood with them and if anyone matures into a male i will find a breeder with a female and let them go. Probably cry for a few days and then buy some babies to cheer myself up.

john m shires

3 Year Member
Well I finally got some shots of what I believe to be spurs / hooks on my Grammostola Rosea(Chilean Rose Tarantula) That many hairs it is hard to tell and I don’t want to harass him too much since he has only just had his moult . If you look at him on his back preparing him self for the moult there is no hooks. So I feel he has just reached adult? I don’t know? Will he moult again? Just what is the time line for a male Tarantula of his age?

Attachments

• spurs 004.jpg
    spurs 004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • spurs 008.jpg
    spurs 008.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • spurs 010.jpg
    spurs 010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • spurs 012.jpg
    spurs 012.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • spurs 016.jpg
    spurs 016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • spurs 017.jpg
    spurs 017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • spurs 020.jpg
    spurs 020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • spurs 023.jpg
    spurs 023.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • spurs 034.jpg
    spurs 034.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still having an issue figuring this out on live spiders (I understand better on moults...but I don't have one of those yet lol)...so I got some better pictures; anyone care to help?
1011 copy.jpg
1012 copy.jpg
1014 copy.jpg

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If there is a "Belly Button" it's a male, otherwise it is female...
I don't see such, but there is a glare, so I am not sure...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yay! Thanks guys :) Can you tell me why exactly? Is it because that one area is raised? I read the article, but still not getting it (I suck lol).

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The drawings in this post earlier really helped me. The area on females looks like a "U" and a "n" on males....at least how it looks to me...the males have a dimpled arched area and the females don't.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yay! Thanks guys :) Can you tell me why exactly? Is it because that one area is raised? I read the article, but still not getting it (I suck lol).

Yes, and no. I can tell you why it looks female, however, ventral sexing is not 100% accurate. So I can't tell you why it IS female.
With a male your looking for a secondaryu set of spinnerets. These are used for making sperm webs. on darker Tarantulas, they make what I call an "Against the grain" pattern. Basically you have a patch of inconsistent hairs,sometimes creating a (very obvious) half circle. the lack of the secondary spinneretts (Epiandrous fusilae) suggests female.

Latest posts