• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ventral Sexing.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Kenny! I understand it's not 100% accurate, so I'm hoping for a moult sometime soon so I can look that way. When I look at Karina's ventral area, there doesn't seem to be any "noticeable" hairs in that area at all, it appears very smooth.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Kenny! I understand it's not 100% accurate, so I'm hoping for a moult sometime soon so I can look that way. When I look at Karina's ventral area, there doesn't seem to be any "noticeable" hairs in that area at all, it appears very smooth.

The article is great but the Diagram is the best resouce imo. Print it out and take a look in comparison.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
John, that is definitely a q for Kenny or Plessey. I know Kenny is out of town, so unfortunately we will have to wait til one of the 2 pop on.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi all can you tell me what is the smallest / youngest a T can be for you to be able to tell the sex ? .
It also depends on the species. I can accurately sex G pulchra at 1" but G pulchripes can't be determined until nearly 2". A lot depends on when the species develops the spermathecae. A good microscope is a must for early gender determination. As for ventral sexing, again species develop at different rates, can be accurately done by the 3" mark.

Atx13

3 Year Member
It also depends on the species. I can accurately sex G pulchra at 1" but G pulchripes can't be determined until nearly 2". A lot depends on when the species develops the spermathecae. A good microscope is a must for early gender determination. As for ventral sexing, again species develop at different rates, can be accurately done by the 3" mark.
My question is, what makes a Pulchripes so much harder to sex than a Pulchra?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G pulchripes seem to take longer to develop visible spermathecae. I have witnessed it in 1.5" specimen but it translucent and nearly invisible.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can anyone post a comparison shot of male/female G.rosea (and maybe a A.avic)? I think I'm getting the hang of it, just would like some pics to help me out :)

Also, can this post be stickied, pretty please? :D

Latest posts