• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
shrg-1.gif

exalien

My T has started doing the same as your @Alycia - keeps ending up on its back. This after having it for 5 weeks now. It happened for the first time last night. At first I thought it had fallen because it had its front legs plastered on the glass and I thought maybe it tried to climb the glass but couldnt and just fell over, so last night I turned him over, and within about 30 minutes he was on his back again. This time I left him there all night thinking maybe he was molting, but this morning he is in the exact same position. He is alive but just on his back.

This seems like strange behavior to me. Did your T eventually stop rolling over? How long should I let him on his back before I roll him back over?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My T has started doing the same as your @Alycia - keeps ending up on its back. This after having it for 5 weeks now. It happened for the first time last night. At first I thought it had fallen because it had its front legs plastered on the glass and I thought maybe it tried to climb the glass but couldnt and just fell over, so last night I turned him over, and within about 30 minutes he was on his back again. This time I left him there all night thinking maybe he was molting, but this morning he is in the exact same position. He is alive but just on his back.

This seems like strange behavior to me. Did your T eventually stop rolling over? How long should I let him on his back before I roll him back over?
If a tarantula is on its back, never, ever roll it over. Its trying to molt. Increase humidity and help it ;)

exalien

If a tarantula is on its back, never, ever roll it over. Its trying to molt. Increase humidity and help it ;)

Thanks MassExodus, I know that is sound advice. I'm just worried that after 12 hours it means he can't actually molt but is trying. I was going to just let him go for a full 24 hours and then if he was no different roll him over, but maybe I should just let him be from here on out and let nature take its course.

Has there ever been a T that took multiple days to molt?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks MassExodus, I know that is sound advice. I'm just worried that after 12 hours it means he can't actually molt but is trying. I was going to just let him go for a full 24 hours and then if he was no different roll him over, but maybe I should just let him be from here on out and let nature take its course.

Has there ever been a T that took multiple days to molt?
Ive never seen one take more than 24 hrs, which is quite long in my experience. All you can do is wait, and hope it's ok. I know thats not the answer you were looking for, but its the truth. Ive lost a few molting, but its rare. Ive seen several take much too long and come out ok though. Patience, young padawan..;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@exalien Alycia's T is a different case as it was paralysed by a wasp and she has been nursing it back to health.
Leave yours alone when it's on its back as you will just add to the stress of an already stressful time.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These Ts ain't molting...they have issues with their nervous systems. Anyways a Tarantula laying on it's back is not in any danger no matter how long it's just laying there. ;)

Alycia

He still does it I think I have another problem now I guess the part where he breathes is smaller skinnier and on his chest there is a round spot that looks pink so I’m kinda freaking out.

Alycia

Mine links funny his lower part of his body looks a lot thinner and he has a spot on his chest that looks like the skin was rubbed off the spot was there before but looks different.

Attachments

• 7CCEC522-7B56-4FB3-A057-9F59EFF3D9F1.jpeg
    7CCEC522-7B56-4FB3-A057-9F59EFF3D9F1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

Latest posts