• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Alycia

Hi, I found a baby tarantula that was being dragged by a black bug with red wings I read about it stings and Paralyzes the tarantula I really don't like spiders but I don't want it to die is there a way of saving it? I know nothing about spiders Sorry.

Alycia

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not that I know a lot about it, but I think once stung it's too late. From what I understand once paralysed it stays that way until the wasp eggs inside it hatch. If it's still moving now I guess there might be a chance that the wasp didn't get to paralyse it fully and lay eggs, maybe it will recover if you've removed it from the wasp before the real damage was done. I really don't know, someone else may know more.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I understand, not that I've looked into it much, the spider would be paralysed, dragged to a 'nest' and then the eggs are laid, so I would think that if the spider isn't paralysed the eggs would not have been laid yet. So to my thinking if the spider wasn't paralysed when she 'saved' it chances are eggs hadn't been laid. I could be wrong, but if the spider is active she might have intervened in time.

Edit - according to Wikipedia, the paralysed spider is taken to a nest and then a single egg is laid ON the abdomen of the spider. I had always thought that eggs were laid inside but apparently the larvae burrows into the abdomen after hatching.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If there's a hole in the abdomen the egg is already been laid. They don't always take them to a burrow. Most times its the actual tarantulas burrow the wasp uses. I've seen them lay an egg minutes after stinging the Tarantula multiple times then leave....no burrow or dragging to one.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If there's a hole in the abdomen the egg is already been laid. They don't always take them to a burrow. Most times its the actual tarantulas burrow the wasp uses. I've seen them lay an egg minutes after stinging the Tarantula multiple times then leave....no burrow or dragging to one.
I'll take first hand knowledge over Wikipedia every time!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I understand, the egg isn't placed until it's underground. If you caught it being dragged, it was only paralysed not violated.

A few attempts to rescue have been successful. Keep it on the back and use a dropper to drop water between the fangs to keep it hydrated.

It'll take a week or two for the venom to wear off. Since spiders don't inhale or exhale to breathe, being paralysed isn't always fatal.

It's worth trying to keep it alive. If it wakes up and molts successfully, you will have a great pet and a story to tell.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
From what I understand, the egg isn't placed until it's underground. If you caught it being dragged, it was only paralysed not violated.

A few attempts to rescue have been successful. Keep it on the back and use a dropper to drop water between the fangs to keep it hydrated.

It'll take a week or two for the venom to wear off. Since spiders don't inhale or exhale to breathe, being paralysed isn't always fatal.

It's worth trying to keep it alive. If it wakes up and molts successfully, you will have a great pet and a story to tell.
I agree. The sting doesn't kill them or they'd be rotten by the time the egg hatched. And the wasp doesn't lay the egg until it gets wherever it was going. I never thought of putting the spider on its back and dropping water into its mouth, but that makes sense to me after reading it.

@Alycia ,
Spiders don't breathe through their "mouth", so there is no danger of drowning by doing this. They have book lungs down on the bottom of their abdomen, so just don't drip water down there. Please keep us posted. I'd love to know what happens!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11149

This individual tried it with interesting results.
After reading this thread it seems there might be some hope of recovery IF the wasp didn't lay an egg.
To summarise - The Tarantula was being attacked by a wasp, was paralysed but no egg laid. Water was given by flipping the T on its back and drops applied to the fangs. Later mealworm 'guts' were applied to the fangs. The legs were moved by hand to pump fluid. After a while the T could stand and move a little and would drink water or guts by itself from a dish.
Eventually it seemed to recover fully and was sent to a new home where it lived for 6 years before dying from unknown causes.

Alycia

Not that I know a lot about it, but I think once stung it's too late. From what I understand once paralysed it stays that way until the wasp eggs inside it hatch. If it's still moving now I guess there might be a chance that the wasp didn't get to paralyse it fully and lay eggs, maybe it will recover if you've removed it from the wasp before the real damage was done. I really don't know, someone else may knows more.
The bug was dragging it somewhere but I got it away from it. I guess I'll try and see what happens. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good luck...i haven't been able to save one yet. My first attempt the larvae appeared 2 weeks later the other 3 times the spiders eventually passed on. Also for the record they don't always get dragged off to the nest or to the spiders burrow. Google and Wikipedia are wrong. I've seen this happen dozens of times. The only times I've seen it dragged off was into some nearby brush or into the Tarantulas burrow.