• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He is seems a lot more skittish, he only had 7 legs now he has 8 but it’s a lot smaller is that normal?

Where he lost his leg before he’s starting to regrow it but without the original leg for the new one to develop in it has limited space. It’ll be smaller for a while but after 2-3 more months it will eventually reach the size of the others. It’s completely normal :)

Alycia

He’s doing good I have a piece of paper towel so when I feed him I can see to get the left overs of his food it funny he will come when I put it there he comes to it and gets his food.

Attachments

• 576AD28E-1ED3-42EE-88F7-722D09096A03.jpeg
    576AD28E-1ED3-42EE-88F7-722D09096A03.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

nedaK

He is seems a lot more skittish, he only had 7 legs now he has 8 but it’s a lot smaller is that normal?
It’s normal it will take a couple molts for the leg to regenerate to full size. Most likely skittish because it’s exoskeleton is fresh after the molt and it doesn’t want to get hurt.

nedaK

He’s doing good I have a piece of paper towel so when I feed him I can see to get the left overs of his food it funny he will come when I put it there he comes to it and gets his food.
Based on the picture I believe it is Aphonopelma anax, though it could be A. hentzi as the two are nearly indistinguishable. Good job on your part for taking care of it ;)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
This thread was amazing to read.

So... There are so many Tarantula species and tbh I can't tell them apart very well. What do you look for?
Lasiodora-klugi.jpg

brachypelma-albopilosum-l34-15cm-x10.jpg

This is l klugi and b albipo

Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell the diff

DreadedNeith

Great job. I've never seen someone so dedicated to save an animal that they were so scared of. I'm happy the spider is doing so good. Are you finding yourself to be less scared of it?

Alycia

Great job. I've never seen someone so dedicated to save an animal that they were so scared of. I'm happy the spider is doing so good. Are you finding yourself to be less scared of it?
Oh I’m still scared to death of him I have no idea how I’m going to be able clean his enclosure and ever since his molted he is more skittish, it was easy when he couldn’t move

DreadedNeith

Oh I’m still scared to death of him I have no idea how I’m going to be able clean his enclosure and ever since his molted he is more skittish, it was easy when he couldn’t move
You can get a long pair of tweakers (12 inch) and use those to pick dead insects out of the enclosure. You can also cut the top half of a 2 litre soda bottle off, drill a hole in the lid and a couple holes in the side and use that as a catch cup to move the T out of the enclosure with. Use a soft clean paintbrush to brush the back of the spiders legs and it will move forward. You can do this to get it into the catch cup, then cover the opening with a plastic plate or lid of some sort. Once the enclosure is clean you can put the soda bottle catch cup in the enclosure and wait for the spider to come out before removing the catch cup.

Alycia

After the molt he has been very skittish will not eat now I think he is dying he is shaking walking really weird some old on fb said something DKS I don’t think there is anything I can do to help him.

Alycia

Don't give up on him, after all he's been through the moult may just have taken more out of him than normal so it may take him longer to recover.
I won’t he just looks really bad I have her covered so he can feel like he is hiding it also kind of weird I put water in a cap and it’s gone in 3 seconds I thought it was leaking so I put a new cap in and it was gone in 3 seconds I did this 6 times and the waters gone I know he can’t even get to the water he can’t really walk just shakes really band and fast it odd.

Alycia

I checked on him this morning and he is not moving but I don’t think he is dead yet I put him on his back and gave him a drop of water he looks like when he was paralyzed he is not stiff just not able to move this is absolutely sad

DreadedNeith

I checked on him this morning and he is not moving but I don’t think he is dead yet I put him on his back and gave him a drop of water he looks like when he was paralyzed he is not stiff just not able to move this is absolutely sad
Hmm. I wonder what happened. He seemed to be doing pretty good. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in with ideas.

Alycia

Hmm. I wonder what happened. He seemed to be doing pretty good. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in with ideas.
I don’t know he was never the same after the molt he would act scared and hide and move fast wouldn’t eat. I put him on his back but his legs are curled but still alive It’s just heartbreaking.