• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is a question that has never been fully answered regarding many nocturnal animals, but I think it's safe to say that they have thrived in captivity without the need of UV light so using one would be experimental at best, overall they aren't used in terrestrial invertebrate husbandry so I think no. Whether they need a light cycle at all is controversial but I feel all animals benefit from having light intensity vary from day to night to help maintain their circadian rhythms which do affect their metabolism cycles. The plain fact is though that not enough proper study has been done to confirm whether nocturnal terrestrial invertebrates benefit from a day/night light cycle at all.
My view, and it is just my view, is that if the ambient light varies over a 24 hour period a circadian rhythm is maintained which is highly likely to be beneficial to the animal.
This is not a question that even scientists can answer unfortunately.

As long as the lighting doesn't create a dangerous rise in temperature & the tarantula has the option to fully retreat from it if needed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Arboreal species would probably benefit more from a day night cycle then terrestrials or burrowing species in my opinion.

I've noticed that tarantulas go for height and light when they are too cold and down and dark when too hot, regardless of where the heat is coming from or if it may be excessive.

I strongly advocate using a digital infrared thermometer to make sure that there are no unsafe hot spots regardless of how modestly powered the heat source may be & how well the cage is ventilated. Check the water dish twice daily if you do this!! Dehydration can also be potentially fatal in my opinion.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It’s been a year since I found the baby tarantula that was stung he/she is still doing good I do notice he never climbs up the side it seem like he tries to but it’s like his feet seem not sticky anymore.

Nice little update. :D strange timing or did you read the other thread talking about tarantula hawks earlier today?

Losing the ability to climb could be a sign of premolt.
Glad he’s doing well thou :) good job on your end.

How was your first year in the hobby as a tarantula keeper? :)

Alycia

Nice little update. :D strange timing or did you read the other thread talking about tarantula hawks earlier today?

How was your first year in the hobby as a tarantula keeper? :)[/QUOTE

It was good timing. I thought I would give a update. Well it’s got to be the easy pet I have ever taken care of through the winter he would not eat I was worried but I thought maybe they don’t eat much in the winter. I don’t know how I ever going to clean the cage he moves extremely fast and it scares me half to death lol......

Alycia

How was your first year in the hobby as a tarantula keeper? :)
You were right he/she molted. how long after should I feed him? It took him a year to do it I how often do they molt?

Alycia

Hope he is ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hell be fine. They can take a while to harden after a molt. You can tell by looking at the fangs. Right now they would be white or red. Once thier fully black then he can be fed. Usually best to just wait a week or so.

Molting is unpredicatable. Depends on a lot of different factors .some slings can molt every few months, older specimen can go years without a molt. Age size sex temperatures species etc. effect when they do . Molting is a very good sign thou. After a molt a T will “pump” fluids from the abdomen around itself and effectively inflate. You’ll notice a size difference :)

Alycia

Hell be fine. They can take a while to harden after a molt. You can tell by looking at the fangs. Right now they would be white or red. Once thier fully black then he can be fed. Usually best to just wait a week or so.

Molting is unpredicatable. Depends on a lot of different factors .some slings can molt every few months, older specimen can go years without a molt. Age size sex temperatures species etc. effect when they do . Molting is a very good sign thou. After a molt a T will “pump” fluids from the abdomen around itself and effectively inflate. You’ll notice a size difference :)
He's in the exact same spot next to his skin and hasn’t moved it must have molded yesterday do they take a while to recover? I I think he is ok, his legs are straight out.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's in the exact same spot next to his skin and hasn’t moved it must have molded yesterday do they take a while to recover? I I think he is ok, his legs are straight out.

He’ll be fine. Just make sure there is a water dish so he can hydrate. He’s been through a lot and molting is exhausting for a T so given time he will recover to his full glory ( if the molt isn’t too damaged you could post a picture of the inside of the abdomen and someone can tell you if it’s a boy or a girl :))

Alycia

He’ll be fine. Just make sure there is a water dish so he can hydrate. He’s been through a lot and molting is exhausting for a T so given time he will recover to his full glory ( if the molt isn’t too damaged you could post a picture of the inside of the abdomen and someone can tell you if it’s a boy or a girl :))
Ok thank you. I will get the skin when he is not next to it, I don’t want to disturb him.

nedaK

Can someone post a A. Hentzi pic to ID it? And a male A. Chalcodes as well. I don’t have either of these species so...

Latest posts