• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Alycia

Just to join the thread.

Today I too got a paralyzed T...Male

He appears to be fine otherwise. healthy, not stressed animal. I dont believe he experienced any larvae
I don’t think they lay the eggs until they get back to the burrow just make sure you give it water every couple days I gave mine water ever day tho. Good luck.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most folks would call it weird, trying so hard to save a spider. Personally, I love you weirdos. I also kill pepsis wasps wherever I find them. Watch out though, they are mean, and will attack you if they're dragging a paralyzed spider and you try to kill them and miss..happened on my back porch a few weeks ago. Dont worry, its dead. The wolf spider it was dragging is dead too, unfortunately.

Alycia

Hello just a update on the tarantula he/she is still doing fine growing a little the only thing is he never hides or tries to dig a whole just stays on the coconut fibers and likes to stand over his water dish it’s more like a water bottle cap not sure that’s a normal behavior? He is not falling on his back anymore maybe because he doesn’t climb the wall much anymore.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Alycia That is great news :D. Thank you for updating us.
Many terrestrial Ts will just sit around doing nothing much and I have 1 little one that has 2 bottle caps, 1 full of moist substrate that it likes to sit on and the other full of water.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
@Alycia Glad to hear from you and also to hear that the baby is doing well! At some point it is going to need to eat something - have you fed it yet? Pet store crickets seem to be most popular with the Ts and available a lot of places. A prey item a little smaller than the abdomen is a good place to start.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad to hear it's doing good.

What are your views now? If you don't mind me asking

I know you said you didn't like spiders ( not sure if that was a fear or just not keen) wondering how this experience has affected you

Alycia

Glad to hear it's doing good.

What are your views now? If you don't mind me asking

I know you said you didn't like spiders ( not sure if that was a fear or just not keen) wondering how this experience has affected you
I’m still afraid of them it’s not that I didnt like them I can see the beauty in them, I’m just compassionate about living beings but he still creeps me out.Lol

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What progress had been made? If you have a video of him moving, be sure to upload it to YouTube and then post it here!!

You do know that tarantulas need to be photographed and videos are needed for our forum for them to survive, right ? ;) :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Uhhh I don’t know anything about YouTube he is fine he moves, eats I’m sure he in not happy tho think he wants to be free.

It maybe that he'll never be as strong after his ordeal and probably wouldn't survive long in the wild. I do admire what you've done for him considering you don't like spiders but if you felt you couldn't keep him maybe you could find someone that would take him on..

Alycia

It maybe that he'll never be as strong after his ordeal and probably wouldn't survive long in the wild. I do admire what you've done for him considering you don't like spiders but if you felt you couldn't keep him maybe you could find someone that would take him on..
No I made a comment to take care of him I’ll keep him as long as he lives. do they need sunlight like other animals? I have had reptiles but never spiders.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No I made a comment to take care of him I’ll keep him as long as he lives. do they need sunlight like other animals? I have had reptiles but never spiders.
This is a question that has never been fully answered regarding many nocturnal animals, but I think it's safe to say that they have thrived in captivity without the need of UV light so using one would be experimental at best, overall they aren't used in terrestrial invertebrate husbandry so I think no. Whether they need a light cycle at all is controversial but I feel all animals benefit from having light intensity vary from day to night to help maintain their circadian rhythms which do affect their metabolism cycles. The plain fact is though that not enough proper study has been done to confirm whether nocturnal terrestrial invertebrates benefit from a day/night light cycle at all.
My view, and it is just my view, is that if the ambient light varies over a 24 hour period a circadian rhythm is maintained which is highly likely to be beneficial to the animal.
This is not a question that even scientists can answer unfortunately.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I thought you might. No they don't need sunshine but I find that if the sun catches their containers for a little while they will go and bask for a while.

Last edited:

Latest posts