• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Grammostola pulchripes

estheeeerx

3 Year Member
Hi! I'm getting my first T in a few days, a Grammostola pulchripes sling, it's about 1"/1,5". I will be getting it from a reptile shop, and they said it's a female. But isn't it impossible to sex them when they're so small? I searched on internet but I can only find methods to sex them when they're juvenile, adults or from molts.
Also, they said it's only 3 or 4 months old, but after all the sling-care videos on Youtube I saw, (plus knowing that they're slow growers), seems a bit unlikely to me (but hey, what do I know, this will be my first ;)).

I can ask this too when I'm at the reptile shop on Saturday, but just curious to know now!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby :)
You'll find that most shops actually know very little about Ts so I wouldn't believe all they tell you. You've found the best forum to get all the info you need so if you have any questions just ask.
Sexing is easiest once they are a little bigger than yours. Moults are the most reliable way of sexing but we have a few members on here that are great at sexing from belly photos.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
3-4 months? you would think the shop was trying to sell a puppy. Jokes aside, a 3-4 month old sling of this species would probably be about 1/2" DLS at the most. Some people can sex smaller slings provided they have a really good microscope.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In my experience 70% of all Ts ive purchased in reptile shops have been males. Its like the dumping ground for breeders. You can sex them at that size but it takes a very experienced person with mircoscope. Nothing wrong with males though...i actually prefer them. They are great for trading and loaning to grow your collection. It is possible the breeder sexed the molt though... definitely not 3-4 months old...closer to a year.

Last edited:

estheeeerx

3 Year Member
In my experience 70% of all Ts ive purchased in reptile shops have been males. Its like the dumping ground for breeders. You can sex them at that size but it takes a very experienced person with mircoscope. Nothing wrong with males though...i actually prefer them. They are great for trading and loaning to grow your collection. It is possible the breeder sexed the molt though... definitely not 3-4 months old...closer to a year.

Thanks for the info! You're right, for me is doesn't matter if it's a female or male, I just thought it was weird that they said it, while everyone on the internet said it was almost impossible to do so.

I will upload a photo when he/she molts!

estheeeerx

3 Year Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby :)
You'll find that most shops actually know very little about Ts so I wouldn't believe all they tell you. You've found the best forum to get all the info you need so if you have any questions just ask.
Sexing is easiest once they are a little bigger than yours. Moults are the most reliable way of sexing but we have a few members on here that are great at sexing from belly photos.

Thanks for the info, and I will! Going to upload a photo when he of she molts!

estheeeerx

3 Year Member
UPDATE: Still no new T, I went down there this morning and they told me that they may have accidentally switched 2, a Pulchripes and a Rosea, and sold the wrong one to someone else... I'll have to wait another few days :confused:

Latest posts