• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
Here's the kids, updated as new ones arrive. The starter set:

5hZM3vs.jpg

Ayla was the first tarantula that I got. She's (they're all going to be referred to as she even if they aren't) a Tililtocatl albopilosus. Her name was briefly Pewbs because I thought it was pretty funny. I still think it's pretty funny, but she got her slightly more respectable name two days later. I got her because so many people recommended them as an easy, docile, calm, not scary, not scary, not scary, not scary, and not scary. This was my "I used to be deathly afraid of spiders but now I'm going to spend money to get one as a pet but I don't want anything to do anything that will make me second guess that decision" tarantula. She's a sweetie.

JQZVxvc.jpg

This is Avi, my Avicularia avicularia. She's cool looking. That's kind of why I got her. I did see this tarantula listed on a few beginner lists, so I justified the purchase that way. She's very active. She does laps of her enclosure and has started webbing near the bottom. I've inadvertently handled her when transferring her from the deli cup that I got her in to a more proper enclosure. She took a little stroll on my hands while I tried to motivate her to go into her new home.

JeFw0iC.jpg

This is Ruby, my Tliltocatl vagans. She's got a big booty. She was pretty mobile, but she's walled herself up in her hide and I haven't seen her for almost a week. I hope she's molting.

OLmFjRa.jpg

This is Charlie. She's a very small Grammostola pulchripes who currently lives in a specimen cup. Her butt looks like it's about to pop. Thankfully, she hangs out where I can see her even though she recently sealed herself off.

loj7AoV.jpg

This is my latest addition, as of yesterday. She's a Brachypelma hamorii that I picked up from a chain pet shop. Her name is Kitty Cat Meow Meow because... reasons. She's Kit, for short. She's super calm and docile so far. I expected a little hair flicking when trying to move her from the box I got her in to her new enclosure but she moved over very gently and didn't kick a single hair or throw anything close to a threat posture. She's awesome!

That's the first. There are more to come.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
My family has gotten much bigger. As usual, they'll all be referenced as female with no proof of them being so. Here's the latest new members:

vDJOfVH.jpg

Aphonopelma seemani. No name yet. This one scares the crap out of me right now. She's very skittish. I'm hoping as she gets bigger, she'll calm the eff down.

Cy83CiP.jpg

Brachypelma boehmei. Scarlett. I love this one. She quickly runs up to the top of her little terracotta hide whenever I take the lid off. She's awesome.

lnTYuuu.jpg

Pseudhapalopus sp. blue, also no name yet. She's very, very, very small. I'm most worried about this one. I've been feeding her flightless fruit flies and she seems to be fattening up from them, but I'll feel much better when she gets some size on her.

wC5hu7M.jpg

Cyriocosmus sellatus. I've recently found I really like Cyriocosmus tarantulas. Something about the way they look in pictures really appeals to me. The hearts on the butts are neat also, especially since I work in a cath lab.

nvJlsFC.jpg

Brachypelma albiceps. I've been trying to get one since I got into collecting tarantulas about a month ago. I like the reports on their temperament being very calm and I like the look of the adults...

gUuh8Ex.jpg

... so I ended up with two. Yay!

gfZml4H.jpg

Kochiana brunnipes. She's been awesome to watch. Pops out of her little enclosure whenever I open the lid, seems to be curious, and just a nice active little spider. So awesome.

HxUdm1h.jpg
Brachypelma emelia. Very shy spider right now. Any disturbance to her enclosure and she curls up on the spot. I'm looking forward to her getting some size on her and hopefully being more out in the open.

8nqASGX.jpg

Avicularia minatrix. I really like dwarf tarantulas. A dwarf Avic seemed like a no brainer.

RScBZaN.jpg

Inside this little web is an OBT sling. @octanejunkie was a true gentleman and included this as a freebie when I purchased stuff from him. This thing gave me anxiety before it even arrived, however, it's been very laid back and no issues at all. Granted, it's small and it hasn't been very long, but so far, so good.

7JiylHz.jpg

Cyriocosmus ritae. Another Cyriocosmus. Another dwarf. Lots of activity in such a tiny package. She's my second favorite of my new acquisitions.

TxvS2yH.jpg

Eresus Walckenaeri. Christopher Walckenaeri was the only name that came to mind, but I'm not settled on it. This is my first true spider and my favorite of the new family members. I read that this species likes lots of moss to hide in, and that's been very true. She's well hidden in the moss, but I know (roughly) where she's at from the webbing. When I shake in some fruit flies, her legs come out of the moss and she starts hunting. Such a cool spider! The pictures of this spider on the internet really drew me in. Their faces look almost Pixar fake, with very atypical eyes that looks expressive. She needs to put on a little size because she's teensy.

That's the latest of the growing collection. They'll get names soon, but work has been sucking out my brain power lately.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
HGCsl5B.jpg
Psalmopoeus reduncus, just lounging on cork bark after eating. Its been webbing quite a bit lately, closing off any open spaces with web and dirt. Hopefully this one be the last time I see this one. The gold shimmer on the carapace almost shows up in pictures, and it's so cool!

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
1zKQGib.jpg

I don't know what this is. It was purchased as a Grammostola pulchra, and before this molt, it looked no different than the other (only?) Grammostola pulchra I have. After molting, though, it's completely different from the pulchra. I've been in touch with the local place that I picked it up and we've been trying to figure it out. It's definitely leaning old world, and we're thinking it may be a Chilobrachys huahini. Whatever it is, it's been a real gem. About a week after the molt, it started towards a death curl and was not doing well. I put a bunch of wet moss in to see if a bump in moisture and humidity would help. Two days later, this thing was bombing around the enclosure like it had two bottles of nitrous blowing through its system. I've developed a fondness for it after bringing it back from the brink. It webs like crazy and pounces on crickets. Whatever it is, I'm very happy I have it.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
tAS8kLn.jpg
WhenI picked up this Monocentropus balfouri, I was told it wouldmake web tunnels and probably be reclusive. I put it in this hazy container figuring I would only see it once in a while. Instead, it hangs out like this all day. If I bump the enclosure, it'll shoot back into one of its web tunnels, but eventually comes back out and just hangs out on the side, just like this. I wish I started it in a clear container. Next time.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
ZNwYpJr.jpg

Hysterocrates gigas making an appearance. This is an older picture. It has been doing some extensive landscaping. I gave it plenty of substrate to burrow into and it has used every bit of it. It still ends up on the surface quite a bit, but it'll bolt into its cave system the minute I touch the enclosure.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
G6B00k2.jpg

I resisted getting a GBB. I'm not even sure why. This one happened to be at the right place, at the right time, and at the right price. I'm glad I picked it up. It's a great eater, a great webber, and seems to be out on display quite often. I messed up and got an enclosure with a large, not clear lid. I picked up a proper enclosure for the future, and maybe after a molt or two I'll transfer it into its new home. It still has some growing to do.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
HuydRx8.jpg

My Kochiana brunnipes got an emergency rehouse today. I found what looked like mold in the substrate and to be on the safe side, moved it to a new enclosure with fresh substrate. I rarely see these spiders mentioned anywhere, but it is a great little spider. I've heard they can be pet holes, but mine pops up on the surface fairly regularly. I hope it likes its new home and fresh substrate.