• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Alycia

The past 2 mornings the Tarantula has been upside down I think he tries to crawl up the side and then falls over but he has been walking around on and off. Are tarantulas nocturnal it seems more active at night.

Thistles

3 Year Member
The past 2 mornings the Tarantula has been upside down I think he tries to crawl up the side and then falls over but he has been walking around on and off. Are tarantulas nocturnal it seems more active at night.
Yes! Good observation and good signs!

Sonicookie

3 Year Member

Not nocturnal exactly, but they're naturally more active at night. It can be dangerous for a tarantula to fall, could you make a slope on the edges to help with that?

About the potential of drowning, I put small rocks in the water dish.

Alycia

Not nocturnal exactly, but they're naturally more active at night. It can be dangerous for a tarantula to fall, could you make a slope on the edges to help with that?

About the potential of drowning, I put small rocks in the water dish.
Thank you.its weird I can stay up all night and watch it and then I sleep for a couple hours and it’s back on it’s back this has happen everyday for that past 4 days I don’t think it’s falling I hope it not trying to shed its skin. I don’t know anything about spiders I’m just a little worried about it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is possible that it may be trying to moult. It may be worth leaving it and see what happens.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As it's only a little one it shouldn't take long to moult so you should see signs of it moulting after a few hours or you may see signs of it trying to right itself.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
How long should I leave it on it’s back to see? A day or more? Thank you f
I agree with Enn49, wait a few hours and see if it starts sort of gently pushing, and if it is leave it alone. Just make sure it has water and it it'll make it, it will. I'm fairly new, my tarantula molted for the first time (with me) recently. It's pretty scary the first time but they know what they're doing.

I'm glad you decided to help it despite being afraid of spiders, then took the time to make a forum account, learn about it, build an enclosure.. Stuff like this always restores my faith in humanity. Thank you for being a good person.

Alycia

The tarantula has been on its back for nine hours and nothing should I just leave it alone? I did blow on it and it moved so it’s not dead thank you for any help

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
The tarantula has been on its back for nine hours and nothing should I just leave it alone? I did blow on it and it moved so it’s not dead thank you for any help
I'd leave it alone for a while longer, maybe a day. It might just be slow because there's still some venom in its system. They usually know what they're doing, and a tarantula lying on its back rarely means anything bad. What you should be watching out for is curling, when they curl their legs somewhat under themselves. It's called the death curl. Let's wait and see what Enn thinks as well.

If it stays put too long you might want to give it water, but again I don't have a lot of experience with molting so we should see what the others think.

Alycia

I talked to a lady last night she said it looked dehydrated I told her I gave it water everyday since I found it but then again I don’t know what to do you hydrated spider looks like so she told me to put it in a small container with holes in it and to put a wet paper towel out and leave it she said it was trying tto molt and it probably won’t make it. It is a desert spider she also said the tarantula was to hot:/ I don’t know what to think anymore.

Alycia

This is what I put it in

Attachments

• 3183FCD5-ACAC-481B-9826-0B272FEB0684.jpeg
    3183FCD5-ACAC-481B-9826-0B272FEB0684.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think the way you were going was fine. The little T was beginning to recover so I wouldn't stress it out any more.

Alycia

Ok will go and buy it proper and but some coconut fiber and poor it on the floor of the tank and buy some feeders and a hiding place I won’t I’ll leave it like it is until I go get the stuff today. I was worried it’s a desert tarantula and it just doesn’t seem right to be in that much moisture.

Alycia

Ok I will go and buy coconut fiber and put it on the floor of the tank and buy some feeders and a hiding place I won’t I’ll leave it like it is until I go get the stuff today. I was worried it’s a desert tarantula and it just doesn’t seem right to be in that much moisture.[/QUOTE

Thistles

3 Year Member
The lady was recommending an “ICU,” but in this case it will probably do more harm than good. You were doing well keeping it hydrated by dropper. Too much humidity can cause problems. It will try to molt eventually to correct some of the wonky walking, but I don’t think the flipping is a molt attempt just yet.

Alycia

I put the small container on it side and in the bigger one so it can crawl out. I’m getting ready to go to the store what do I need? Coconut fiber, hid out, crickets I don’t know if they have meal worms is that it? Also I have been reading about mites with the substrate do I bake it to kill them? Thank you so much for your time fo this little guy or gal.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It certainly looks better.
Coco fibre and a small piece of cork bark will do as a hide, maybe a little piece of plastic plant just to make it look nice. As long as the substrate is dry you won't have trouble with mites.

Latest posts