• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Thistles

3 Year Member
1. It is paralyzed, not dead.
2. Eggs are not laid until the spider is in the burrow.
3. If kept hydrated, it is possible for the spider to recover.

The threads linked will be good resources. If you're up for it, you could try to keep it alive long enough to recover. It will be a long process, though. If you're not ready for it, euthanasia is an option. Best of luck.

Alycia

1. It is paralyzed, not dead.
2. Eggs are not laid until the spider is in the burrow.
3. If kept hydrated, it is possible for the spider to recover.

The threads linked will be good resources. If you're up for it, you could try to keep it alive long enough to recover. It will be a long process, though. If you're not ready for it, euthanasia is an option. Best of luck.
I don’t think it’s dead it’s legs move but I’m not sure if it’s because there is no feeling if I try to move it there’s definitely no Rigamortus but I don’t know if tarantulas get Rigamortus. I have the time to commit to taking care of it I just don’t know anything about spiders but I’m willing to try.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It never hurts to try. Just keep it hydrated. If it's not stiff it's not dead. It's not in pain if it's paralyzed, probably 100% numb actually.

The paralysis will last longer then the larva takes to develop. After that period of time, it should start to wear off.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I don’t think it’s dead it’s legs move but I’m not sure if it’s because there is no feeling if I try to move it there’s definitely no Rigamortus but I don’t know if tarantulas get Rigamortus. I have the time to commit to taking care of it I just don’t know anything about spiders but I’m willing to try.
Tarantulas don't get rigor mortis the way mammals do. When they die, their legs curl up underneath them due to loss of fluid pressure. Dehydrated living spiders can exhibit the same curling, so it isn't a guaranteed way to tell. The threads linked earlier are a good source to see what others have done. I have never rescued tarantulas that were stung by wasps, but I have saved marbled orb weavers that were paralyzed. I'd say 3/20 of mine survived, so the survival rate was not great. Tarantulas seem to be hardier, though. Just keep it quiet and maybe put a drop of water onto its fangs every couple of days.

I appreciate that you are taking care of an animal you're not especially fond of. Thanks for having such a good heart!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just to take a step back for a second.
You've stopped a spider from being dragged away to its death even thou you don't particularly like them. Taken it into your home and joined a forum to see if anyone knows how to save it.. for people not in the hobby it's "just a spider". The fact that you've tried is enough in its self. There needs to be more people like you

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I followed that rescue thread and one other. They were very interesting. But the fact is, the spider got caught slippin, natural selection and all that. The kind thing is to put it down. Although I might suggest the brick method is a bit strong..lmfao..a freezer would be kinder methinks. Or give it to a healthy tarantula, as Arachnoclown said, thats good eats right there!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I followed that rescue thread and one other. They were very interesting. But the fact is, the spider got caught slippin, natural selection and all that. The kind thing is to put it down. Although I might suggest the brick method is a bit strong..lmfao..a freezer would be kinder methinks. Or give it to a healthy tarantula, as Arachnoclown said, thats good eats right there!
I wonder though. What if the chemical that paralyses when injected causes a similar effect when ingested?
I think Arachnoclown might have first hand experience with this so he likely knows, but that was my first thought when feeding to another tarantula was suggested.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wonder though. What if the chemical that paralyses when injected causes a similar effect when ingested?
I think Arachnoclown might have first hand experience with this so he likely knows, but that was my first thought when feeding to another tarantula was suggested.
The wasp doesn't always win....I've seen more wasps killed and by Tarantulas then the other way around. The tarantulas seemed fine after taking the wasps down...dont know about know about long term though. Im sure the tarantulas venom breaks down other toxins...im not sure though. Ive seen Ts take the wasps back down into their burrows through. Just to clear up a little wikapedia nonsense...the wasp doest take the T back to its nest. The wasp finds the Ts burrow and acts like its stuck in its webbing in front of the burrow. After the battle if the wasp wins it drags The T into the tarantulas burrow. If the wasp catchs a wondering male...it drags it into the brush or something out of the view of birds and other scavengers to lay the single egg. I spent every summer as a kid in New mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Wyoming. Hunted for spiders/scorpions/snakes and lizards everyday. I sure miss it but I don't miss the dry heat though.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know using a brick sounds crude there’s no way I could put a T in the freezer for IMO a drawn out death, not as if an invert has ever said “I suffered least in the freezer”... Fish can take hours to die in the freezer and I’ve seen crabs in ice boxes moving... Brick method for me :confused:
Freezing would be painful...everyone needs a T. Stirmi. Anytime I need to put a T down its done very quickly :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the update, it's good to hear it's still alive at least. Keep up the good work.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know using a brick sounds crude there’s no way I could put a T in the freezer for IMO a drawn out death, not as if an invert has ever said “I suffered least in the freezer”... Fish can take hours to die in the freezer and I’ve seen crabs in ice boxes moving... Brick method for me :confused:
You may be right. I just think freezing might be ok because inverts shut down pretty fast in severe cold. Humans report feeling warm and sleepy before they freeze to death. Not a horrible way to go..I can think of worse, like a car falling on me..squashing would certainly be fast though..

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You may be right. I just think freezing might be ok because inverts shut down pretty fast in severe cold. Humans report feeling warm and sleepy before they freeze to death. Not a horrible way to go..I can think of worse, like a car falling on me..squashing would certainly be fast though..
With fish I bag them as for transport then put them in the fridge initially, once comatose I move them to the freezer, that way I know that there's no chance of them feeling fluids freezing etc.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully I don't find myself in that position. It world probably be best to gas them first, baking soda + vinegar for CO2 and then freeze them once it's done working, same as a medical intervention if the leg breaks off or nothing etc.

The poisoned T will probably stay immobile for the length of time the larva takes to mature and then will slowly wake up.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Freezing would be painful...everyone needs a T. Stirmi. Anytime I need to put a T down its done very quickly :D

A T stirmi.... Yes of course they do!! Honestly though they are an advanced species, more like keeping an OW or even some amphibians.

The hardest part is getting the enclosure and it's conditions right. It took me several hours for the initial setup and then I had to redo it and improve it.

She literally wouldn't come out of the enclosure so I resorted to using an infrared thermometer to monitor the temps of the T directly, one flash on the abdomen, one on the carapace.

Yes, you CAN take a spider's temperature of it's large enough.

Still, it's not impossible and she molted just fine. I think a 4th of July post molt feeding is about right unless she shows a strong feeding drive before that, eg attacking the water dish or the substrate when moistened or walking around digging around looking for feeders

For now, she's chilling out comfortably within her hide. I'm tempted to nudge her out to get some extra pics but I'm not going to. She should be hardening up nicely.

T stirmi Mindy 5th day from molt 1.jpg

When I retrieved the molt many hours later, she looked like she just molted minutes ago. I think I can get a pic, crappy one though.

T stirmi Mindy 5th day from molt 4.jpg

Well, just a little bit crappy. At last!! I captured the true richness of the brown coloration. These guys are far more impressive then they mostly appear.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hopefully I don't find myself in that position. It world probably be best to gas them first, baking soda + vinegar for CO2 and then freeze them once it's done working, same as a medical intervention if the leg breaks off or nothing etc.

The poisoned T will probably stay immobile for the length of time the larva takes to mature and then will slowly wake up.

Firstly why would you euthanize a T if it loses a leg, the leg will regrow?

Secondly if the T already has a larva in it, it will certainly die as the larva eats its insides.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What I'm saying is that you should knock out a tarantula prior to euthanasia the same way you would for a curable but serious condition requiring intervention, for example a leg off or minor hole in the abdomen requiring corn starch.

They don't necessarily have the larva when the situation is stopped while the wasp is dragging it. In many cases, the wasp will drag it into the burrow first and then lay the egg. Of course, if the egg is physically removed with tweezers prior to hatching, it might or might not also be saved.

If a T is paralyzed, chances are that pain receptors are also not functioning as well. From what I've found, it's like gradually awakening from a coma.

Don't give up!! It's scientifically important and good for the hobby to attempt to cure tarantulas whether or not the treatment succeeds.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Anesthesia? Lmao thats got me giggling a little bit..

"Dr. lightning, we have a 3yr old juvie genic stuck in a molt!"

"Give me ten milligrams of morphine, stat!"

"Her pulse is dropping Dr.!"

"Would you like that IV Dr.?"

"No just jam it in my ass! Pads are hot, CLEAR!"
:confused::D
cdc.gif