• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby tarantula stung by a tarantula wasp

Alycia

I got the coconut fiber the loose one but it feels damp so I’ll wait. I did get crickets I love crickets:( they didn’t have a hideout only a huge one so how can I make one? Can I use styrofoam cup? If I put a cricket in with it will it bite the tarantula?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Leave enough of the coco fibre to give a reasonable depth in the container out to dry. Half a Styrofoam cup will do fine.
It may be a good idea to crush the crickets head so it can't hurt the T.

Alycia

Ok thanks he doesnt have much movement so I don’t think it could eat. I did give him 2 drops of water and he drank it. It just doesn’t seem like he is going to make it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At this stage water is the most important thing. It is a long job but he is doing better so don't give up hope.

Alycia

I just don’t know what to do with this poor thing it’s still on it’s back and I gave it a drop of water and it flinched. I know it would be a long road ahead I’m just worried about it being on is back all the time.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I think your right. It was on its back for 26 hours then he was on his side trying to get right side up.
If it is the case I think the thing to do is wait. It seems hydrated fine, what you've been doing is working well. I wouldn't try to give it food yet, they always fast before a molt to help them slip out.

How are the crickets? Mine are always viscous, murderous little cannibals, but they're cute. I've found that feeding them dry cat food helps prevent some of the murdering.

p.s. If you try to leave the corpses for them to eat, they'll give off a scent and the living crickets. The dead bodies must be removed daily.

Alycia

Oh crap I just checked on him and he was upside down in its water cap thing it’s small and only a little bit of water in it but scared me tho think I’ll take it out. I only got 4 crickets I did give them a spinach leaf I thought they would be noisy but they don’t make a sound maybe I should check on them again maybe they ate each other already lol...

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Oh crap I just checked on him and he was upside down in its water cap thing it’s small and only a little bit of water in it but scared me tho think I’ll take it out. I only got 4 crickets I did give them a spinach leaf I thought they would be noisy but they don’t make a sound maybe I should check on them again maybe they ate each other already lol...
As long as the booklungs (underside of the abdomen) are dry it should be okay. You could blot it with a paper towel if it's wet. People will use small rocks, natural sponge, or (pet-specialized) water beads to prevent drowning. Do you have any shallow jar lids that you could use? @Enn49 would probably know if it's safe to use a paper towel temporarily.

Yeah, feeder crickets are really quiet. I've only had one that chirped. You could add potato and apple (or other fruit) to keep the crickets satisfied for now, if there's only four they shouldn't be too violent. They're supposed to borrow into potatoes.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Paper towel is fine as a temporary measure but don't use sponge or water beads in the bowl they harbour bacteria. The little one may have gone there to ease moulting and should be ok as long as the book lungs are clear of the water.

Don't give your crickets tomato as apparently they are poisonous to Ts.

Alycia

His back end was in the water but it was upside down I do have a natural sea sponge I could cut a piece or I do have the water beads also the water was in a short water bottle cap and the water barely cover the bottom but I just freaked out. I stay up most of the night to check on him it’s almost 5 am now. Thanks for your help.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Paper towel is fine as a temporary measure but don't use sponge or water beads in the bowl they harbour bacteria. The little one may have gone there to ease moulting and should be ok as long as the book lungs are clear of the water.

Don't give your crickets tomato as apparently they are poisonous to Ts.
That makes sense, about the sponge and the water beads.

I guess you learn something new every day. I'll add tomato to my "toxic to tarantulas" mental list.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
His back end was in the water but it was upside down I do have a natural sea sponge I could cut a piece or I do have the water beads also the water was in a short water bottle cap and the water barely cover the bottom but I just freaked out. I stay up most of the night to check on him it’s almost 5 am now. Thanks for your help.
I think as a temporarily solution use a lump of paper towel in the water dish. A plastic jar lid would work if you have one. If the water beads are just the normal kind (like Orbeez) there might dangerous chemicals in them, so I wouldn't risk it.

Out of curiosity, which state do you live in? It was nearly five AM for me, too, and I rarely meet other people in my timezone.

Alycia

He has moved and on his back again within the past 5 hours I was a little worried he didn’t move at all when I got him out of the water. There Was a small cape there and was only about 10 drops to barely cover the bottom of the cap
I think as a temporarily solution use a lump of paper towel in the water dish. A plastic jar lid would work if you have one. If the water beads are just the normal kind (like Orbeez) there might dangerous chemicals in them, so I wouldn't risk it.

Out of curiosity, which state do you live in? It was nearly five AM for me, too, and I rarely meet other people in my timezone.
im in New Mexico. I put a 2x2 wet flat paper towel Incase he wants to lay on it next to him I’m only guessing on what to do.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
He has moved and on his back again within the past 5 hours I was a little worried he didn’t move at all when I got him out of the water. There Was a small cape there and was only about 10 drops to barely cover the bottom of the cap

im in New Mexico. I put a 2x2 wet flat paper towel Incase he wants to lay on it next to him I’m only guessing on what to do.

I agree with Enn, that sounds good for now. Keep the paper towel moist and replace it every couple of days so the bacteria don't build up. Could you post a picture of it (and the current setup as a whole)?

Alycia

Sorry you can’t really see him tho the coconut fiber is about the same color as he is.

Attachments

• BE096741-5676-4B77-B1D4-D87BFCE7FA71.jpeg
    BE096741-5676-4B77-B1D4-D87BFCE7FA71.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 419999AD-93F5-4634-A32B-EE37E6D4D923.jpeg
    419999AD-93F5-4634-A32B-EE37E6D4D923.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 39