• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why isn't she eating OR molting??

DesertRat

I live in Tucson, Arizona and I have an Aphonopelma Chalcodes and I've had her for about 6 months. The first 3 or 4 months her appetite was very strong and she was very active and would devour anything that gets in her pin. For the past 2 or 3 months, she hasn't eaten anything I feed her. I thought that was an indication she was gonna molt soon so I stopped feeding her. Now I'm worried that if I feed her, it will delay her molting and stress her out. Should I continue to try to feed her?

Also, I was cleaning her pin a couple weeks ago and she bolted for freedom, right off my countertop and smacked on the ground from over 3 feet. Could this shock be a reason for further delaying her molt?

You can see she has a bald spot, and she is still grooming herself it looks like. Any tips on her enclosure would be awesome too, first time T owner here.

DesertRat

Here are some pics of her

Attachments

• 20220605_114700.jpg
    20220605_114700.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220605_114621.jpg
    20220605_114621.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Kazegal

From the photos I would say she is quite plump as it stands. She could already be in premolt. Keep an eye on that bald spot, if it starts to darken it means a molt is imminent.

At this abdomen size, she is good to go for a molt. Enough reserves. Some tarantulas stop eating for months on end and in some cases they even go a year without food.

As far as the 3 feet drop goes, try to avoid this in the future. If you don't see any tarantula blood (grayish, white fluid) she'll be fine.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I would add a good 4 more inches of sub to that, her hiding place isnt secure enough- stress is causing the baldness.

personally, i'd put an entrance hole on the side of the pot near the rim of the mouth and put the Pot upside down, instead, creating a nice dark retreat for her. that way you wont need deep sub.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
if not anything this species will teach you patience.
My A chalcodes adult female refused food for nearly 790days after I bought her.Then she moulted ate few times and refused food for 200+days then she ate once and now she has been refusing food for nearly 3 months.She is still years from her next moult as her colours haven't faded yet.
When yours nears a moult (whenever that may be ) the pink skin of her abdomen will go dark nearing black. Then your moult is comming.
Yours looks nice and plump so I will offer one pray item every month or two and remove it if not eaten in 24 hours.
Make sure you have full waterdish at all times for her and be patient.
Regards Konstantin

DesertRat

Hi
if not anything this species will teach you patience.
My A chalcodes adult female refused food for nearly 790days after I bought her.Then she moulted ate few times and refused food for 200+days then she ate once and now she has been refusing food for nearly 3 months.She is still years from her next moult as her colours haven't faded yet.
When yours nears a moult (whenever that may be ) the pink skin of her abdomen will go dark nearing black. Then your moult is comming.
Yours looks nice and plump so I will offer one pray item every month or two and remove it if not eaten in 24 hours.
Make sure you have full waterdish at all times for her and be patient.
Regards Konstantin
Very helpful thank you! Thats insane any living thing could go 790 days with no food

DesertRat

I would add a good 4 more inches of sub to that, her hiding place isnt secure enough- stress is causing the baldness.

personally, i'd put an entrance hole on the side of the pot near the rim of the mouth and put the Pot upside down, instead, creating a nice dark retreat for her. that way you wont need deep sub.
She keeps digging out dirt in her hide, which is now clear to me that shes trying to dig deep and failing. I will definately add more thank you so much!

DesertRat

From the photos I would say she is quite plump as it stands. She could already be in premolt. Keep an eye on that bald spot, if it starts to darken it means a molt is imminent.

At this abdomen size, she is good to go for a molt. Enough reserves. Some tarantulas stop eating for months on end and in some cases they even go a year without food.

As far as the 3 feet drop goes, try to avoid this in the future. If you don't see any tarantula blood (grayish, white fluid) she'll be fine.
Thank you so much!

Latest posts