• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who really are we, behind T keepers ? :)

rénee

3 Year Member
Well I recently just got promoted!:) My boyfriend and I currently are saving for a house, and have slowly been looking, honestly its a bit scary haha. I enjoy hiking, camping, I like just driving mine, or my boyfriends car around, biking, I play quite a few video games(I just got a new computer and bought my WoW subscription!), I love to bake, watch movies/TV, I do love to read BUT its always hard for me to find a book that does interest me.

OH and I'm also slowly learning to be a dog groomer too! I plan to work as part time groomer, but have my own shop in my backyard

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I recently just got promoted!:) My boyfriend and I currently are saving for a house, and have slowly been looking, honestly its a bit scary haha. I enjoy hiking, camping, I like just driving mine, or my boyfriends car around, biking, I play quite a few video games(I just got a new computer and bought my WoW subscription!), I love to bake, watch movies/TV, I do love to read BUT its always hard for me to find a book that does interest me.

OH and I'm also slowly learning to be a dog groomer too! I plan to work as part time groomer, but have my own shop in my backyard
house hunting is scary, I'm working with the bank on a loan now for one i found.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some very interesting stories here......not sure I can match them so..........The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving roofer from Ireland with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers by the beach, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of 14 I ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
Not really....that was slightly adapted from a mike myers movie. I have 4 girls so really really busy and broke as a consequence....lol Love nature with a passion and photography and in a previous life did pet portraits.....even did one of my spider once. Must try and dig that one out and post a pic. I did have a dog, a white German Shepherd but unfortunately she has passed away. I also keep tropical fish....have a large 5ft tank in my wall.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some very interesting stories here......not sure I can match them so..........The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving roofer from Ireland with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers by the beach, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of 14 I ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
Not really....that was slightly adapted from a mike myers movie. I have 4 girls so really really busy and broke as a consequence....lol Love nature with a passion and photography and in a previous life did pet portraits.....even did one of my spider once. Must try and dig that one out and post a pic. I did have a dog, a white German Shepherd but unfortunately she has passed away. I also keep tropical fish....have a large 5ft tank in my wall.
Ahhh, that one got me laughing..well done sir. My first dog was a white shepherd..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahhh, that one got me laughing..well done sir. My first dog was a white shepherd..
Thanks buddy. She was an awesome pet. Bless her. Must show a picture even tho she is not a T just cos I still miss her. RIP Kira.
2013-01-13.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks buddy. She was an awesome pet. Bless her. Must show a picture even tho she is not a T just cos I still miss her. RIP Kira.
View attachment 13793
Aw, what a beauty! GSDs are fantastic dogs, my 10 year old shep is my soul pet and I can't even contemplate thinking about saying goodbye to him one day :(. This is him enjoying the wee bit of snow we had the other weekend:
WkyUfIM.jpg

This is my other dog, Storm. She's a Husky X (possible Husky/Husky-GSD).
5oCr21T.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aw, what a beauty! GSDs are fantastic dogs, my 10 year old shep is my soul pet and I can't even contemplate thinking about saying goodbye to him one day :(. This is him enjoying the wee bit of snow we had the other weekend:
WkyUfIM.jpg

This is my other dog, Storm. She's a Husky X (possible Husky/Husky-GSD).
5oCr21T.jpg
Lovely dogs . I can't bring myself to replace Kira and I am about to lose my p. Metallica I think. Looks like she has an injury to abdomen. Gutted :(. Pics are on the Pokie thread but I think it is too late to save her and I don't have any incubators or anything like that.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lovely dogs . I can't bring myself to replace Kira and I am about to lose my p. Metallica I think. Looks like she has an injury to abdomen. Gutted :(. Pics are on the Pokie thread but I think it is too late to save her and I don't have any incubators or anything like that.
You can never replace a dog, but I believe we've got enough love and affection to give to a new dog when the old one leaves us. I won't be getting another GSD though, as I think I'd be comparing with Trigger all the time. I've got my mind set on either a Czechoslovakian or Saarloos Wolfdog (been wanting one for a while, but they are breeds that need a lot of research and I hadn't felt ready yet).

Sorry to hear about you P Met. I'll have a look at your posts about her. I've lost my sling last year after trying everything (bar vet, I don't think any vet would be able to treat a sling) to save it. I still don't know what killed it, it just got really weak, even tried to molt, but flipped back over, and then showed symptoms similar to DKS and then just stopped moving and died (no death curl). I hope, yours pulls through though, fingers crossed!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can never replace a dog, but I believe we've got enough love and affection to give to a new dog when the old one leaves us. I won't be getting another GSD though, as I think I'd be comparing with Trigger all the time. I've got my mind set on either a Czechoslovakian or Saarloos Wolfdog (been wanting one for a while, but they are breeds that need a lot of research and I hadn't felt ready yet).

Sorry to hear about you P Met. I'll have a look at your posts about her. I've lost my sling last year after trying everything (bar vet, I don't think any vet would be able to treat a sling) to save it. I still don't know what killed it, it just got really weak, even tried to molt, but flipped back over, and then showed symptoms similar to DKS and then just stopped moving and died (no death curl). I hope, yours pulls through though, fingers crossed!
Thanks but I am not holding my breath tbh. Looks bad. Look up Utonagen dogs too. Thay will be my next if I get one again.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks but I am not holding my breath tbh. Looks bad. Look up Utonagen dogs too. Thay will be my next if I get one again.
I had checked them out, too and Northern Inuits, but I really fell in love with the CWD when I met them years ago.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I see a lot of people with a lot of the same interests as I :) I enjoy guns and target shooting, but haven't been to a range in years. I use to do a lot of outdoors stuff - fishing or geocaching nearly every weekend, camping, ATV riding, gardening, but I developed chronic joint pain and fatigue last year and I haven't been able to do much at all since then (and my doctors haven't found an obvious cause yet). I'm passionate about photography, particularly macrophotography. I enjoy making YouTube videos for my channel. I have a daughter, she's 13, but she lives out of state with her father until this summer. I'm a transplant to the Pacific Northwest after spending the first 32 years of my life in the southwest. I miss the desert and it's blasphemy to say it up here, but I hate the rain. I'm an avid cook and baker - always from scratch.

I'm a gamer. Previously Playstation but married an Xbox-er so now it's on the Xbox One. Completely obsessed with Fallout right now (I say that like I wasn't with Fallout 3 and New Vegas too). Have never played an MMO and very unlikely I ever will; I just can't get into fantasy or that kind of role-playing. I like board games like Monopoly and Evolution.

I'm currently a housewife, but I start a course next month to be a system admin for a company that sells/develops CRM software. I may take coding courses later this year, if the non-profit I'm going through is able to get it set up to accept the GI Bill (military spouse here).

Aside from my 42 tarantulas, I also have two dogs (a standard dachshund and a beagle/coonhound mix), a barred tiger salamander, a hedgehog, 8 snakes, two leopard geckos, and a crested gecko. Many of my animals are rescues. My family has rescued dogs for ages, whether we did it on our own or though volunteering with non-profit animal rescues.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Ok, gals and guys, my turn! I live in a very smal l village in a rather small (and cold!) country, and my english is rather poor because my first langage is french (try to imagine my accent as you read this!). I work as a pastor in the presbyterian church. After having spent ten years in a community, I have been working for five years only in prisons as a prison chaplain. I'm married and we have three beautiful kids, two boys and a girl, who also love animals as I do. My oldest son has two cornsnakes, and we also have two cats. My other interests aren't guns (sorry ;-) but my father used to own a gun shop), but music (I played drums in my youth): I listen to tons of cds (yes, I'm of a generation who likes to have a physical support for books and music!), from fifties rock'n'roll to extrem-proggy-blakish metal of 2016: every kind of different styles are ok for me when the music is good. But my favorite period is 60s - 70s. I read a lot of books too. And spend three hours a week playing PS4 games like GTA5, Witcher or FallOut4 (hello Bugmom!).That's all folks!

Steve123

3 Year Member
I'm 55, have done a lot, been educated and worked a lot, but am still trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up. When our son was born I became jealous of our nanny's job. From time to time she would send us photographs of what she and he were doing and I'd sigh, wondering what I was doing away at work when I could/should be doing that. So we made do with a little less income and I became a stay-at-home dad. Now he's 10, home-schooled, and I'm the teacher. One night, on a vacation to Arizona, he found a tarantula crossing a dirt road. He asked if he could keep it. I somewhat reluctantly said yes, in my mind thinking it was an education opportunity. You can imagine the rest as far as Ts go. Yet, here is the odd thing--I would not keep a single tarantula if it were not possible to breed them. I've been this way all my life with animals, mostly fish, always wanting to keep a small Noah's ark going. I didn't always get the opportunity, but the wish was always there. There is something about having a male and female of a species that opens up a huge horizon of potential in my mind. I'm this way with plants too: my first thought is always "can it be propagated?"

So, our house is filled with spiderlings and cuttings, and not a small amount of pairs and parent plants. What next? I dunno. I made a website to help to pass on the spiderlings. T enclosures are still gobbling up cuttings. Within a month we'll be moving to a house with more space, more light, and a few rooms dedicated to cooler- and warmer-than room temperature.

When I kept salt water fish I belonged to a forum called Reef-2-Reef. The owner was/is a pastor, and the whole site had a very charitable atmosphere. Been looking for that type of forum every since. TF reminds me of that forum in many ways. Oh sure, I've already noticed a few, let's say, personality types that make me wince, but that's life. I can survive, not thrive, on AB, but am looking for something better.

Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since we have the dog pics going of course i have to show off my monster dog. At least he has a personality of a monster dog anyway. :D

He's like having a 2nd teenager in the house. I love it! So fun and full of energy (unfortunately that's typically at 3am lately lol)

My son named him Tigger when we got him as his coat was shades of brown that resembled Tigger and he was a bouncy little puppy.

He's 4 yrs old now as of 2 weeks ago, and weighs just over his age :) He's a maltese/yorkshire cross, leaning to the maltese side more than the yorkshire. Commonly known as a Morkie (whoever thought up the yorktese name for these should be drawn and quartered). Last trip to the vet this past fall had him at 4.5 lbs. Perfect size for my townhouse, it'd be crowded with a bigger dog. And his personality goes right along with my son and mine. He fits perfect with us :)

Here he is curled up on his favorite blanky sound asleep after a game of fetch.
20151110_205810-1.jpg

Here's another of my son torturing him. I recently got seat covers for my jeep and they sent an extra headrest cover in the kit. So my son cut a hole in the top and made it into a cape for Super Tigger.
20151111_175850.jpg

He's not a happy puppy there lol but he was a good sport about it ;) Later that evening when my son went to use the bathroom Tigger snuck in his room and dragged a couple pieces of pizza from his plate as revenge.

They also like to 'argue', my son and the dog. At dinner time the dog will sit near my son and let out this half whine half growl noise letting us know he wants some food too. so my son will say no, then the dog will do it again, and they go back and forth. It makes me laugh to tears every time i watch them :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since we have the dog pics going of course i have to show off my monster dog. At least he has a personality of a monster dog anyway. :D

He's like having a 2nd teenager in the house. I love it! So fun and full of energy (unfortunately that's typically at 3am lately lol)

My son named him Tigger when we got him as his coat was shades of brown that resembled Tigger and he was a bouncy little puppy.

He's 4 yrs old now as of 2 weeks ago, and weighs just over his age :) He's a maltese/yorkshire cross, leaning to the maltese side more than the yorkshire. Commonly known as a Morkie (whoever thought up the yorktese name for these should be drawn and quartered). Last trip to the vet this past fall had him at 4.5 lbs. Perfect size for my townhouse, it'd be crowded with a bigger dog. And his personality goes right along with my son and mine. He fits perfect with us :)

Here he is curled up on his favorite blanky sound asleep after a game of fetch.
View attachment 14115

Here's another of my son torturing him. I recently got seat covers for my jeep and they sent an extra headrest cover in the kit. So my son cut a hole in the top and made it into a cape for Super Tigger.
View attachment 14116

He's not a happy puppy there lol but he was a good sport about it ;) Later that evening when my son went to use the bathroom Tigger snuck in his room and dragged a couple pieces of pizza from his plate as revenge.

They also like to 'argue', my son and the dog. At dinner time the dog will sit near my son and let out this half whine half growl noise letting us know he wants some food too. so my son will say no, then the dog will do it again, and they go back and forth. It makes me laugh to tears every time i watch them :)
I think that has to be the cutest little thing I have seen......apart from a. Versicolor slings....lol.

Latest posts