• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula mouth covered in mites

MBullock

3 Year Member
Keep the corpse and observe it. you may see a large pupa emerge.

if this happens the true culprit was a small-headed fly.
ornithoctoninae are absolutely plagued by these guys. I remember a friend of mine having a really big one emerge from a tarantula that seemed just fine before it matured and then the larva killed it.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I wondered if she was compacted. But she did poop. I'll never know.
small-headed flies will lodge themselves into a book lung and wait there dormant for several years before beginning to consume the host. the symptom is often swelling around the book lungs- the larva eats nonvital parts first, then finally goes for the nervous system and completes the life cycle.

last year we caught a whole bunch of olios giganteus from tucson and they almost all had small-headed flies in them. even the widows we got all had them, too.

the only spiders i caught that day that DIDNT have em were just two olios and a couple of hogna, minus the tarantulas

x_raphael_xx

small-headed flies will lodge themselves into a book lung and wait there dormant for several years before beginning to consume the host. the symptom is often swelling around the book lungs- the larva eats nonvital parts first, then finally goes for the nervous system and completes the life cycle.

last year we caught a whole bunch of olios giganteus from tucson and they almost all had small-headed flies in them. even the widows we got all had them, too.

the only spiders i caught that day that DIDNT have em were just two olios and a couple of hogna, minus the tarantulas
I've never heard or seen such flies here in the UK.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I've never heard or seen such flies here in the UK.
they're obscure and poorly known by the public. Most times you get it from a wild-caught spider from a hot humid region. In the USA sometimes you'll get an aphono carrying one, the species in the USA that attack aphonopelma tend to be pretty huge, large like a horse-fly almost

Latest posts