• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula mouth covered in mites

x_raphael_xx

Hi, my P sp. Rufus has been hiding away forever, I hadn’t seen her since I got her about 6 months ago, not even any signs of movement (poop etc) food never eaten.

Assumed she had passed so decided to check up on her after waiting long enough (wouldn’t have if I had seen any signs of life)

Now shes been disturbed shes more active and has started drinking again and re-webbing.
She looks healthy still and abdomen is still plump, (although one half is flattish?) but I’ve noticed she has mites around her mouth.

Is this dangerous? Is there anything I can do? Or are they simply after a little moisture from her fangs now shes drinking?

037F7311-C1A4-4E6A-A8D8-76D6D3C0D9E5.jpeg

I’ve popped a cricket in, to see if she’ll take it now shes moving around, but shes not spotted it yet.

Lentulus

3 Year Member
There are videos out there where people remove mites after knocking the T out. I have no idea what is considered harmless infestation or when an actual need to remove them arises.

MBullock

3 Year Member
not dangerous to tarantulas, grain mites have a phoretic form the become when population density reaches critical levels, triggering phoretic behavior. Its a common feature in mites, it's how they colonize new habitat.

The only animals that suffer from grain mites are those that use spiracles to breathe as the phoretic mites can clog the spiracles and suffocate the host. tarantulas have book lungs rather than tracheae so they dont have spiracles to block.
its mostly millipedes/centipedes and beetle larvae that suffer the most, for tarantulas it just stresses them and annoys them.

Dont bother purchasing predator mites- those only attack spider-mites and cannot attack the cystic phoretic state as it's covered in a shell to protect from predators and moisture loss. the only way to stop grain mites is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Baking substrate will destroy the eggs and mites.

You will see less mites if you clean the mealworms with strong blasts of water, then toast some oats around 200 degrees to roast the mites and destroy any eggs hidden in them. discard the original container the mealworms were in.
I stopped using carrot for mealworms because it causes mites. dried prunes are a good moisture source and wont trigger mite explosions.

x_raphael_xx

not dangerous to tarantulas, grain mites have a phoretic form the become when population density reaches critical levels, triggering phoretic behavior. Its a common feature in mites, it's how they colonize new habitat.

The only animals that suffer from grain mites are those that use spiracles to breathe as the phoretic mites can clog the spiracles and suffocate the host. tarantulas have book lungs rather than tracheae so they dont have spiracles to block.
its mostly millipedes/centipedes and beetle larvae that suffer the most, for tarantulas it just stresses them and annoys them.

Dont bother purchasing predator mites- those only attack spider-mites and cannot attack the cystic phoretic state as it's covered in a shell to protect from predators and moisture loss. the only way to stop grain mites is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Baking substrate will destroy the eggs and mites.

You will see less mites if you clean the mealworms with strong blasts of water, then toast some oats around 200 degrees to roast the mites and destroy any eggs hidden in them. discard the original container the mealworms were in.
I stopped using carrot for mealworms because it causes mites. dried prunes are a good moisture source and wont trigger mite explosions.
Thank you, but I haven’t been feeding her mealworms, just crickets that she’s never taken. At least I know they won’t do her harm.

None of my other tarantulas have mites, so I think it just worried me as she’s been so inactive. Almost as if she was hibernating.

What about her weird lopsided butt? Is that an issue? Shes been happily webbing up again, so her spinnerets are okay.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Thank you, but I haven’t been feeding her mealworms, just crickets that she’s never taken. At least I know they won’t do her harm.

None of my other tarantulas have mites, so I think it just worried me as she’s been so inactive. Almost as if she was hibernating.

What about her weird lopsided butt? Is that an issue? Shes been happily webbing up again, so her spinnerets are okay.
whoa didnt catch that the first time. is she wild caught?

x_raphael_xx

whoa didnt catch that the first time. is she wild caught?
I don't know. I bought her at a show, she wasn't labeled either way and I didn't think to ask. She had recently just molted, her carapace was still in the tub.
This is a very blurry pic from when I brought her home, butt looked normal...
1657303209610.png

I checked on her when I got home from work today, and she's back behind her cork bark, but not scrunched up like she had been.
The cricket hasn't been captured yet, but he's tucked himself amongst the moss, so might just not have been spotted.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know. I bought her at a show, she wasn't labeled either way and I didn't think to ask. She had recently just molted, her carapace was still in the tub.
This is a very blurry pic from when I brought her home, butt looked normal...
View attachment 67160
I checked on her when I got home from work today, and she's back behind her cork bark, but not scrunched up like she had been.
The cricket hasn't been captured yet, but he's tucked himself amongst the moss, so might just not have been spotted.
Her abdomen is super fat for a Asian species. That's probably why she's not eating. As for the mites there's a few tricks you can do to get the numbers down. First dry out you enclosure. Stop over watering and misting. Only fill your water dish. Also move your water dish to a drier spot for a while and let the area under it dry out. You can place carrots or apples around the enclosure to attract the mites but you need toss and switch them out frequently. Also raw meat like steak of hamburger works well but you need to change this out frequently as well. If your spider happens to eat some meat...no worries. Ive read in the British tarantula society that they had a shortage on prey items once and people were using raw meat to feed their spiders temporarily. Also remove any dead prey. Crickets are filthy little creatures that probably already have mites on them. Any lost dead crickets are probably potential breeding grounds for more. These things will only lower the number of mites to a less stressful level for your spider.

x_raphael_xx

Her abdomen is super fat for a Asian species. That's probably why she's not eating. As for the mites there's a few tricks you can do to get the numbers down. First dry out you enclosure. Stop over watering and misting. Only fill your water dish. Also move your water dish to a drier spot for a while and let the area under it dry out. You can place carrots or apples around the enclosure to attract the mites but you need toss and switch them out frequently. Also raw meat like steak of hamburger works well but you need to change this out frequently as well. If your spider happens to eat some meat...no worries. Ive read in the British tarantula society that they had a shortage on prey items once and people were using raw meat to feed their spiders temporarily. Also remove any dead prey. Crickets are filthy little creatures that probably already have mites on them. Any lost dead crickets are probably potential breeding grounds for more. These things will only lower the number of mites to a less stressful level for your spider.
Thank you. I was worried she wasn't getting enough water/humidity, so probably over watered. At the risk of stressing her out I think it might be benefitial just to rehouse her into a new clean & dry enclosure.

I think as she was round when I picked her up, that what I assumed her abdomen was supposed to look like, as opposed to a pokie. I guess she's just been in a food coma all this time.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you. I was worried she wasn't getting enough water/humidity, so probably over watered. At the risk of stressing her out I think it might be benefitial just to rehouse her into a new clean & dry enclosure.

I think as she was round when I picked her up, that what I assumed her abdomen was supposed to look like, as opposed to a pokie. I guess she's just been in a food coma all this time.
Better yet if you rehouse her. Leave her in a temp enclosure for a day or two with the apples carrots or meat. The smaller space will make it easier for the mites to jump off her onto something to eat.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Her abdomen should be long and lean. (Phormingochilus ackaya)
20211229_210158.jpg
20211122_204139.jpg

Last edited:

x_raphael_xx

She seems to be doing okay, but I’m still not sure.
She spends most of her time scrunched in the waterbowl, almost as if shes trying to hide in it.
She has moved around, but shes kinda slow and doesn’t react to my movements.
From what I understand of asian species they are fast and defensive. Normally my pokies will shoot away if I touch the door, but she just sits there.
I haven’t been able to get another good look at her mouth yet.
E0DF1B4B-1E6D-4C13-BAD1-C674FB6384F8.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She seems to be doing okay, but I’m still not sure.
She spends most of her time scrunched in the waterbowl, almost as if shes trying to hide in it.
She has moved around, but shes kinda slow and doesn’t react to my movements.
From what I understand of asian species they are fast and defensive. Normally my pokies will shoot away if I touch the door, but she just sits there.
I haven’t been able to get another good look at her mouth yet.
View attachment 67207
As big as she is and as lethargic as she sounds id say she's in premolt. Just keep adding water to the waterbowl. I use a long turkey baster. I can slowly add water to a bowl that a spider is sitting on without spooking or being in harm's way.

x_raphael_xx

As big as she is and as lethargic as she sounds id say she's in premolt. Just keep adding water to the waterbowl. I use a long turkey baster. I can slowly add water to a bowl that a spider is sitting on without spooking or being in harm's way.
I used this thing very slowly while she was in it, and she didn’t even flinch.
EA2DD356-37EB-4C7D-B8CC-7C75F4F9D458.jpeg

She did move away, but now shes back in her bowl, and I’ve noticed this on her leg joint…
C625F39B-8604-48D4-A011-4A6ED6901EF5.jpeg

Is this ‘blood’?
Shes just pooped as well, which is positive. But now I’m worried shes bleeding!
Shall I attempt to dab with flour?

x_raphael_xx

I don’t have corn starch, should stock up.
Looks like its stopped, so thats good news.
Also, she was against the side just now so took a peeky, looking miles better!
Maybe one or two hanging on, but mostly cleared up.
She’s probably been drowning them in the water bowl :D
93D5517E-9E73-4B80-A650-FDC2C9A5AF1F.jpeg

Latest posts