• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

*Stupid questions from a newbie*

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
Soooo I've had my T for three days now... Yes, I know, that's too little time to start worrying like this.

But still. Better soon than later :D

Today I tried to give it a mealworm and it rejected it. I've seen that people say you should feed them when their abodmens look small, and honestly I don't know if it looks small or not. Does it look small to you?

I would also like to know when I should try to feed it again... Tomorrow? In three days? In a week?

Also. My local pet store didn't have any crickets or roaches so mealworms is all I have for now.

And how can I tell if it's in premolt?

ALSO. Why did the name changed from B. Smithi to B. Hamorii?

Anyways here's a pic. He/She's about 2 inches. It's name is Samhain. The substrate is a mix of coconut fiber which was all chunky and gross (is it supposed to be like that?) and soil. (don't worry, it's pesticide free, it even says it's safe for animals).
IMG_20171027_204138045.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Soooo I've had my T for three days now... Yes, I know, that's too little time to start worrying like this.

But still. Better soon than later :D

Today I tried to give it a mealworm and it rejected it. I've seen that people say you should feed them when their abodmens look small, and honestly I don't know if it looks small or not. Does it look small to you?

I would also like to know when I should try to feed it again... Tomorrow? In three days? In a week?

Also. My local pet store didn't have any crickets or roaches so mealworms is all I have for now.

And how can I tell if it's in premolt?

ALSO. Why did the name changed from B. Smithi to B. Hamorii?

Anyways here's a pic. He/She's about 2 inches. It's name is Samhain. The substrate is a mix of coconut fiber which was all chunky and gross (is it supposed to be like that?) and soil. (don't worry, it's pesticide free, it even says it's safe for animals).View attachment 26761
It's abdomen doesn't look too big, nor does it look too small, do you smash the mealworm heads? I do so and leave it there for a few hours, as tarantulas eat when they feel like it.

When the abdomen looks like it's shiny black in color, it is in premolt. Premolt can last a while. Tarantulas can go quite a while without food, take the G. porteri for instance, they can fast for quite a while.

You can attempt again, but I would follow the above advice.

As for the name change I can't say. Let's summon some more knowledgeable members @Enn49 @Austin S. @Casey K.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, I haven't smashed the mealworms' heads. Will the tarantula still eat them like that?
They will, the mealworm will still move somewhat. I do that with my collection of 20+ and they take them readily.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've also disabled crickets.

First, put the cricket in a container into the fridge, not the freezer for an hour, 30 minutes absolute minimum.

Remove the rear legs with tongs or tweezers. You can decide to throw it in and as it thaws it'll move more and more until the sling attacks.

Or, you can go one step further and remove all the legs on one side in addition to the rear ones. (Best if only a too large cricket is available) it'll wiggle for days but won't outrun or harm the T.

I had to do this with my versicolor sling because no pinheads were available.

It's not as gross as it sounds. The meal worms die after an hour or two with no head, not so with hobbled crickets.

Last edited:

spiderpaws

3 Year Member
Sometimes tarantulas will refuse food just for the hell of it. My first tarantula, Charlotte, didn't eat for about a week after I got her. Yours looks fine, abdomen included :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no stupid question from a noobie. I don’t like the term “Noobie”. It assumes that you are an idiot. There are only curious budding tarantula experts. I don’t expect you to get any snarky “wisdom” from this forum.
PS—Your hamorii is beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby! You have definately chosen the right forum. Other forums tend to degrade people just getting started. Gorgeous tarantula! you will get it all figure out. always remember that the T will do what it wants. When I first got started I tended to impose my way of thinking on how they should act and I quickly realized that was the wrong approach. When it's hunry, it will eat. Usually a new arrival wont eat for me for a few days, but all of mine are shipped and stressed. Regarding your coco fiber, was it the block kind or loose kind? You may just need to break it up a bit more. You will see that names of Ts change at times, no biggy. One rule of thumb that I was told and it has helpped me, "if you are stressing about your Ts you're not enjoyng them like you should". Look into getting the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, it's a great resource! I agree with @WolfSpider, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Have fun and enjoy that beautiful Tarantula!

Latest posts