• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prices in the hobby

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It’s easy to say prices are too high when you know nothing about what it takes to breed spiders. Time and money spent by the breeder unseen by the consumer. Try caring for 1000s of slings sometime, it’s not a hobby then it’s a job.

Been there. Feeding them started to get expensive so i invested in dubia and lateralis colonies. It is still a very time consuming process.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don’t think you will ever get rich selling spiders... @Casey K. said it: Too time consuming. For most of us it is a hobby! :D Like everything else, if you want it and have the money you will go and get it!

It started as a hobby for me. Then my collection grew and I started selling. I can say that I understand both buyers and sellers perspective on this because I have been on both sides but to me, it's just something I love to do....whether I'm buying, selling, starting a new breeding project or giving others advice so that they may utilize the information and enjoy their hobby to the fullest extent possible. :)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It started as a hobby for me. Then my collection grew and I started selling. I can say that I understand both buyers and sellers perspective on this because I have been on both sides but to me, it's just something I love to do....whether I'm buying, selling, starting a new breeding project or giving others advice so that they may utilize the information and enjoy their hobby to the fullest extent possible. :)
...and I think that is perfect. I am the same way. I just don’t have enough time for all the spiders I want :(

DTG

3 Year Member
Actually the prices have dropped since the 90s. My first GBB sling was 35.00 as well as my first C. versicolor. That is what they cost in todays market. The value of the dollar is less now so they are cheaper.

Louis

3 Year Member
The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds. Some of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only wish people would sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!
I can not believe the negative feed back from your post. Seems very rational to me. No whining, just stating the facts. Makes good sense to me.I got to think the ones that give you the most grief are the ones you describe.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
I can not believe the negative feed back from your post. Seems very rational to me. No whining, just stating the facts. Makes good sense to me.I got to think the ones that give you the most grief are the ones you describe.
Didn’t read any negativity till I read your post. You seam to do this a lot in other threads. Maybe your the problem?

Louis

3 Year Member
Didn’t read any negativity till I read your post. You seam to do this a lot in other threads. Maybe your the problem?
Negativity may be strong word but you read my all of 4 or 5 messages and you think I am the negative one? That's laughable to me. Always a group of you telling someone how they are wrong because they don't think like you.

Tnoob

I don’t think you will ever get rich selling spiders... @Casey K. said it: Too time consuming. For most of us it is a hobby! :D Like everything else, if you want it and have the money you will go and get it!
It's not really about getting rich for me, but it's nice to get a little money for all the hard work, research and money you put in to come back to you. I'm starting to see T care as a hobby to be a bit of a missnomer.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds. Some of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only wish people would sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!
I'd like to know what you base this opinion on. What is your experience level? Have you maintained a large collection of tarantulas over a long period of time? Do you know how much time, effort and expense goes into that? Have you ever bred any tarantula species and spent hours separating out hundreds of babies and then feeding each and every one of them every few days? Have you ever imported CB tarantulas from another country and seen all the red tape, paper work and expenses involved in that? Have you ever run your own business and seen the expenses involved with that? You are making an assertion here about the economics of this situation. What is your background and experience level that makes you feel more qualified to decide what anything should cost vs. the business people incurring those myriad expenses involved in actually selling said product?

Or do you just want free stuff? Should the government pay for your college and the credit card companies just erase your debt?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Stop buying slings.

STOP

Next month, don't do it. STOP

Next month....nope....don't do it.

Just stop and watch the prices drop.
You at least demonstrate an understanding of the concept of supply and demand. You don't demonstrate an understanding of the reality of the tarantula business, but that's a different story...

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
I understand what you are saying but do you take into consideration the amount the vendors have to spend to get their stock to the US if importing? The air cargo alone ranges from $400-700. That's not including the cost of paying the broker fee at the border if your merchandise cost you or is valued at x amount of $. You also have to pay a customs fee for import. All of these things add up and are very costly so the person has to factor all of this in to the prices of their stock. I've sold mature male GBB's for $100-150. My prices were based on the demand of gbb at the time. Sometimes there will be a time frame when you can't find any slings. Breeders have females and want to breed to produce those slings to supply the market. In the long run, if they know what they're doing, paying $150 for that male would be well worth it if the demand for gbb was high but the breeder benefits from that and can get their money back from the purchase by selling 3-5 slings. The female can lay hundreds of eggs in a sac. I've purchased mature male gbb's at $175 before.
I
I'm sorry for
I'd like to know what you base this opinion on. What is your experience level? Have you maintained a large collection of tarantulas over a long period of time? Do you know how much time, effort and expense goes into that? Have you ever bred any tarantula species and spent hours separating out hundreds of babies and then feeding each and every one of them every few days? Have you ever imported CB tarantulas from another country and seen all the red tape, paper work and expenses involved in that? Have you ever run your own business and seen the expenses involved with that? You are making an assertion here about the economics of this situation. What is your background and experience level that makes you feel more qualified to decide what anything should cost vs. the business people incurring those myriad expenses involved in actually selling said product?

Or do you just want free stuff? Should the government pay for your college and the credit card companies just erase your debt?
Ok Tortoise, I run a flooring business. I have a collection over 160 tarantulas, with 92 different species. I have 13 scorpion, Jackson chameleon, Pastel mojave vanilla python, a dog, and even a hermit crab. I have and still do everything you mentioned minus importing. I base my comments off of pure experience and my expectations based off of my time, money, effort.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
Oh and Tortoise. I'm also happily married and have three children under ten years old. I know all about responsibilities, sacrifices, dedication, etc..... any more questions?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I

I'm sorry for

Ok Tortoise, I run a flooring business. I have a collection over 160 tarantulas, with 92 different species. I have 13 scorpion, Jackson chameleon, Pastel mojave vanilla python, a dog, and even a hermit crab. I have and still do everything you mentioned minus importing. I base my comments off of pure experience and my expectations based off of my time, money, effort.

Yes. I do have more questions:

So what is your margin on your flooring business? How did you decide that was enough money, but not go too far and become greedy? In your mind, at what point do things move from turning a profit and providing for your family, into being "greedy"?

Given the overhead and time necessary to maintain living animals, I don't see how you could think that a measly $150 is overpriced or greedy. For someone who knows what it costs to run a business, and knows how you can get nickel and dimed to death even when things are going well, why would you get on the internet and complain about someone charging a pittance for something that takes years to produce and is highly sought after. How do you not understand the basic concepts of "supply and demand", balancing your budget, and "buy low, sell high"? Are you in business to break even or take a loss? Or are you in business to turn a profit and get ahead in life? Why shouldn't someone selling spiders be able to run their business the same as someone selling flooring and make money to support their family and pay their bills?

What would you say to someone who walked into your showroom and said your prices are ridiculously high, you are greedy, and you should do their floor at a much lower rate because helping people is good?

Just saw this yesterday. Perfect analogy. You are like one of the students. I'm like the guy with the mic:

If you think the spider is over priced, how about you give the seller $100 of the money you've earned in your own business through hard work and skill, and then the seller can sell the spider for $50 to the next buyer? No? Why should the seller take a loss, but you are not willing to?

Latest posts