• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prices in the hobby

Tnoob

I can't wait to start breeding. Maybe I should buy that MM lasiodora parhabana instead of a monocentropus b sling?

Tnoob

Yeah, I'm not serious about breeding yet to be honest. From what I've seen avics might be a good starter T for breeding. I'm still getting comfortable with what I have, and I don't want to rush to fast.

Tnoob

Harpactira are easy breeders, took my H. dictator pair 10 minutes to get the job done. Too bad my female decided to molt before dropping a sac, and they double clutch too.
Nice. Not sure when I will be breeding, still a sling, but I'm hoping I have a molt soon. We are starting to darken a bit.

Tnoob

It does a number on your nerves, it is rewarding to watch though.
I think I will be okay as soon as I have confirmation, but so far we are more active, even if it looks like we are starting to darken. Maybe it's lighting? I started a post about it.

Pcancerides

3 Year Member
Reasonably pricing a spider may require that a seller takes the cost to keep that animal alive during marketing. Gbb go for almost $300 regardless of sex. Brachypelma in my area go for almost the same price. I'm not here to enjoy a hobby. I'm here to accomplish something. You want the goods, pay the price.

First one of your kind who admitted to what you are that I've seen.

Pcancerides

3 Year Member
The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds. Some of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only wish people would sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!

Don't buy slings.

Just don't.

STOP.

Watch the prices fall.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Reasonably pricing a spider may require that a seller takes the cost to keep that animal alive during marketing. Gbb go for almost $300 regardless of sex. Brachypelma in my area go for almost the same price. I'm not here to enjoy a hobby. I'm here to accomplish something. You want the goods, pay the price.

I need to move to Utah :D

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry, I'm speaking in regard to the examples I've seen throughout the hobby in my area and my personal experience. Just stop being greedy and promote promote promote the hobby.
I understand what you are saying but do you take into consideration the amount the vendors have to spend to get their stock to the US if importing? The air cargo alone ranges from $400-700. That's not including the cost of paying the broker fee at the border if your merchandise cost you or is valued at x amount of $. You also have to pay a customs fee for import. All of these things add up and are very costly so the person has to factor all of this in to the prices of their stock. I've sold mature male GBB's for $100-150. My prices were based on the demand of gbb at the time. Sometimes there will be a time frame when you can't find any slings. Breeders have females and want to breed to produce those slings to supply the market. In the long run, if they know what they're doing, paying $150 for that male would be well worth it if the demand for gbb was high but the breeder benefits from that and can get their money back from the purchase by selling 3-5 slings. The female can lay hundreds of eggs in a sac. I've purchased mature male gbb's at $175 before.

Latest posts