• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prices in the hobby

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds. Some of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only wish people would sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!

Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Prices are only as high as people are willing to pay, it's called capitalism. If a vendor prices their T's too high and can't sell them then they will have to lower the price or go out of business. The bottom line is that the consumer will determine the price in the end. If the price is too high then don't buy, the vendor will get the message if they really want to sell.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Prices are only as high as people are willing to pay, it's called capitalism. If a vendor prices their T's too high and can't sell them then they will have to lower the price or go out of business. The bottom line is that the consumer will determine the price in the end. If the price is too high then don't buy, the vendor will get the message if they really want to sell.

That pretty much sums it up right there. Supply and demand doing its job!

Tnoob

The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds on this site and just shook my head. Some of the prices!!!!!!! Most of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only hope people sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!
I'm guessing you've never tried to run your own business.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
That pretty much sums it up right there. Supply and demand doing its job!
I'm just saying, do your research before spending 150 dollars on a Male gbb.
I'm guessing you've never tried to run your own business.
Has not one thing to do with me running a business. How could you sell a Mature male gbb for 150 dollars?????

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
There are plenty of stores, web sites. breeders, and friends t hth at I purchase from. I guess if your not with me, you must be someone selling a 150.00 H. Pulchripes sling!!!!

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I'm just saying, do your research before spending 150 dollars on a Male gbb.

Has not one thing to do with me running a business. How could you sell a Mature male gbb for 150 dollars?????

I’’ve never noticed a male GBB for $150 anywhere. I’m sure it happens though and if someone paid it I guess that’s up to them, but no I wouldn’t pay that. I think $100 is a bit more in line.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
All I'm saying is reasonably price your spiders. Enthused hobbyist trying to get rich. I see it all the time. It's sad. We need more exposure to the hobby. Scaring people away with ridiculous prices is not the way.

Tnoob

All I'm saying is reasonably price your spiders. Enthused hobbyist trying to get rich. I see it all the time. It's sad. We need more exposure to the hobby. Scaring people away with ridiculous prices is not the way.
Reasonably pricing a spider may require that a seller takes the cost to keep that animal alive during marketing. Gbb go for almost $300 regardless of sex. Brachypelma in my area go for almost the same price. I'm not here to enjoy a hobby. I'm here to accomplish something. You want the goods, pay the price.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Why though? You're leaving food on the table.

Nothing wrong with a little charity and/ or promotion of yourself or the hobby. Doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be making a profit either.

Let’s be clear though, @Rahhh1983 you’ll notice once you’ve been here for a bit the names who are active on the board. Those that are usually active here and are selling person to person (and a couple of business-minded folks) usually have good prices.

There are also a couple of vendors that don’t post anything here but sale ads. They are clearly businesses that just show up, post an ad (usually with higher prices than I’d pay) and don’t do anything else around here. I don’t pay those people any attention and I highly doubt they sell much (or anything) around here.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I sold many of my spiders. Often at the end of a fair people walked up to me to get them half price or less. Never liked that and never gave them anything. But if I speak to someone that doesn’t have enough money but really is interested I often gave a spider away free. :cool:

Tnoob

There's nothing wrong with being charitable. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot. 300 bucks for something that may bring you joy for 12 to 25 years doesn't seem that bad. How long will a car last you? 10 years? Still seems like a deal.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
It’s easy to say prices are too high when you know nothing about what it takes to breed spiders. Time and money spent by the breeder unseen by the consumer. Try caring for 1000s of slings sometime, it’s not a hobby then it’s a job.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
I am well aware of the time and costs associated with breeding, caring, shipping, selling, etc..... why would you make a comment like that?

Latest posts