• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prices in the hobby

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
If my mature Male serves me no purpose I will gladly price him so that he sells. Rather than sell, I would find a reputable breeder who can fulfill his purpose of life instead of turning a profit.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
this is a HOBBY to me folks. I'm not here to make money. Definitely cover my costs, but not get rich. Fyi, I will no longer be taking questions on this thread.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
this is a HOBBY to me folks. I'm not here to make money. Definitely cover my costs, but not get rich. Fyi, I will no longer be taking questions on this thread.
You do understand that for some people a hobby can become a business and in that case, they need to be able to pay their bills, right?

I've got no problem with you giving your animals away at whatever cost you want. I do that too. My issue with your initial post and this thread is you complaining about a business trying to do the same thing you do in your business, which is what we should all be trying to do.

Here are some of my spiders, at your request:
IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

Panhandle arachnids

The prices of tarantulas are high, even at the most affordable web sites or stores. I was browsing the classifieds. Some of the prices are crazy people. Do your research folks and dont rush to make a purchase. I only wish people would sell at reasonable prices to try and have the hobby grow, instead of trying to get rich from one egg sac. The cost of shipping is a deterrent for some people, so please consider this before over pricing your tarantulas. You know who you are people. Shame on you!
Some are high buts that's due to supply and demand. I for one try to sell my slings at a lower than average cost so I can move them

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
No I keep pleasure and work separated. That is just me though.
Herein lies the difference of opinion between you and I, and I suspect a few of the others chiming in on your thread. I don't disagree with how you choose to live your life, but I've chosen differently. As a child I heard the saying: Do something you love to do and you'll never have to "work" a day in your life. I took it to heart. I found something I love to do. I get paid stupid amounts of money to play with animals. Not kidding. I train animals for film and they pay me to do it. I fly in first class with my dog sitting in its own seat next to me and hang out on film sets eating tons of free food. It was Mexican food day on the set of the Walking Dead here in Georgia today. Mmmmmmm horchata....

I have more of a lifestyle than a job. My hobbies outside of work are protection dog training, falconry, scuba and free diving, shooting, MX riding, drone flying, and so many more. All of these combine and bleed into each other. I do falconry before or after work, but sometimes I fly hawks, falcons, eagles, owls, or even parrots for pay all day. I sic my dog on the "bad guy' on the protection field, and then the next day I get paid to sic the same dog on the stunt man. I exercise the dogs with the dirt bikes, and desensitize them to the drone. I carry guns around to get the dogs ready to do military or police scenes.

In short, my hobbies ARE my job, and I love every minute of it. So I do charge for baby tortoises. It pays their expenses and it pays my bills. I'll do the same for tarantulas when I get some bred. I'll spend hours of my time and hundreds of my dollars to get to that point and I will sell every baby for as much as I can. Then that money will go into my daughter's college fund and into my retirement plans. I might give away a baby here and there to a friend, but I'll be selling them to most people for whatever the market will allow me to get for them. Does that make me greedy? If you think it does, then I'll wear the title with pride and a smile as I continue exploiting my animals for profit, and enjoying every minute of my time with them.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
160 tarantulas and you are complaining about prices? I smell . I'll buy ANYTHING I feel legitimately priced. Lying to a bunch of strangers about my collection does nothing for me
Stick around for your proof. I love taking and posting pictures!

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
160 tarantulas and you are complaining about prices? I smell bull**** there... :rolleyes:
160 is not a lot by any means either. If something is legitimately priced I have no qualms. There are plenty of reasonably priced species in the classifieds, but there is some craziness