• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moderators

Thistles

3 Year Member
It's the way they tend to pick and choose hun. Some folks are downright foul and beyond rude. Rarely is much said about it. Seems like if your one of the elite then the rules don't include you. ...
It's just the way they bash folks who dare to ask a simple question...it is insane. There's ways of doing things and any modicum of politeness there seems to be lacking for a large group of folks. And again. Nothing seems to be said to them. I have been admin a few times on various forums ( a gfx forum of several thousand at one point) so I do get it and I know how hard it can be. I just bite my tongue constantly reading the new posts. And yeah. Some of the questions are absurd and frustrating. But that's all part of running a forum of this type.
And if we are honest, once they decide they don't care for you they can be extremely hard to deal with. <3/
Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate how people jump on newbies. I've waded into the mix a few times before, and tried to dampen the nastiness. I just don't see how they can stop that without imposing a ton more rules. It's also so subjective. I dunno.

And I know what you mean about the "f-word" posts, Casey. Lol. I've wondered about that, too.

Telson

3 Year Member
I know it's hard sometimes to answer the simple questions time and time again but I always remind myself that we all have to start right at the beginning, we've been there. I've learned an awful lot since I came on here and am still learning but I'm always willing to pass on what I've learned to others. It's not just AB, there are other forums just as guilty of intolerance towards beginners/newbies but this is why this is such a great forum, because people here have more patience to give advice no matter how obvious the answer might seem to them.
Mostly we do, yes. I see where the attitude comes from, it gets frustrating sometimes when people make no effort at all to research before asking questions. That's when you shut up, instead of posting negative crap because you think you're anonymous and untouchable. That's just weak people showing their charming side, and AB has always had a bunch of those folks. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions. Its what these forums are for. A newb could possibly have no idea how much info you can find just by searching a little. Many people wouldn't know how far the hobby has come, or just how much archived info is available. Plus people get excited about their fascinating new pets and just blurt stuff out, its human nature:D Even I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and im a moody bastard:p

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Upon logging on one of the what I guess is considered a fair mod had PMd me early this morning explaining as to why the delete (and the ban for Casey, I will PM that to you):

"This is a heads up that the post you made in the Watering Hole titled "Casey K" was deleted earlier today/ yesterday due to it being an announcement on behalf of a suspended user. When that happens, it is inappropriate for another user to post on behalf of a suspended user explaining why it happened. For the record, and you may want to relay this back to Casey K, she was not suspended for "using asterisks"; ....." there was more here which I am relaying to Casey and she can post that if she wants to.

I replied to them saying I had done posted as she wanted those who were trying to reach @Casey K. to be able to but I had no questions and thanked them because at least there was a reason albeit 11 hours later.

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's funny because that's not what Advan sent me in a PM as to why I received a warning. It was specifically stated that I was given warning for using inappropriate language. There was nothing in my PM's about "calling out a mod for doing his job". Oh I wish I could login to my PM's so I can take a pic of what was said and post it here. @Psyrocke- do you mind getting in the water hole thread and looking at the "rules" for posting in there? Please let me know if you see anything in there about posting with "asterisks". That's such horse ****. Next time, instead of saying "f*ck" or "****" I will just say "F-word" and know I won't get banned because IF I get banned for that, I KNOW they're being biased and I will NEVER use AB again. (Excuse my language, mods- just using it as an example).

Thistles

3 Year Member
That's funny because that's not what Advan sent me in a PM as to why I received a warning. It was specifically stated that I was given warning for using inappropriate language. There was nothing in my PM's about "calling out a mod for doing his job". Oh I wish I could login to my PM's so I can take a pic of what was said and post it here. @Psyrocke- do you mind getting in the water hole thread and looking at the "rules" for posting in there? Please let me know if you see anything in there about posting with "asterisks". That's such horse ****. Next time, instead of saying "f*ck" or "****" I will just say "F-word" and know I won't get banned because IF I get banned for that, I KNOW they're being biased and I will NEVER use AB again. (Excuse my language, mods- just using it as an example).
To be fair to advan, that probably was why you were warned. The ban came after you complained about it, right?

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I went through and PMd you what you asked for, so if they are banning for what Aphonopelma said, than they should really update their language rules and general rules (the last update is December 2015)..and there is nothing anywhere mentioning curse words other than the "rough, heavy" ones which is something that would totally be up to individual discretion.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To be fair to advan, that probably was why you were warned. The ban came after you complained about it, right?
Yes it did but it wasn't mentioned that it was because I was calling him out on his duties? It just stated inappropriate language. Then I tried to correct it by using asterisks (which apparently wasn't a way to correct it at all).... Then they say if you have questions about something to contact them but you can't contact them when you're banned. The least you should be able to do is get in touch with a mod after the fact so the reason "why" can be explained a little better so there's no miscommunication leading to yet another episode.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yes it did but it wasn't mentioned that it was because I was calling him out on his duties? It just stated inappropriate language. Then I tried to correct it by using asterisks (which apparently wasn't a way to correct it at all).... Then they say if you have questions about something to contact them but you can't contact them when you're banned. The least you should be able to do is get in touch with a mod after the fact so the reason "why" can be explained a little better so there's no miscommunication leading to yet another episode.
Just to clarify, the ban notification said it was for language? Not the warning? Or both?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just to clarify, the ban notification said it was for language? Not the warning? Or both?

It states I was given a "warning" for using inappropriate language (this was Advan that sent the message). I couldn't even "read" why I was banned because I couldn't log back in. Upon receiving the "warning" I tried to correct myself.

Thistles

3 Year Member
It states I was given a "warning" for using inappropriate language (this was Advan that sent the message). I couldn't even "read" why I was banned because I couldn't log back in. Upon receiving the "warning" I tried to correct myself.
Ok, good clarification. I'm saying it's possible that you were warned for the language, which you then corrected, but you also publicly complained about the warning. The complaint rather than the language would be the reason for the ban.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, good clarification. I'm saying it's possible that you were warned for the language, which you then corrected, but you also publicly complained about the warning. The complaint rather than the language would be the reason for the ban.
Yes I remember doing that in a post but I never mentioned the mods name. That is possible and probable but I didn't get to read that part. I'm not angry because I was banned. I'm angry because I could've rectified it on my end but I didn't due to lack of communication.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You are right, though....and wise, Miss Thistles. Perhaps next time (as my good friend Mr. Doud tries to tell me) I can express myself without all those words. After all, I am a lady. ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol, and a lady uses the full range of her vocabulary to express herself. ;) :p
True true, lol.....there are principles on where you may use them, however. Lol.....gosh....what happened to the first amendment, lol???

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol this has been an entertaining thread :) not sure how i missed it the last few days. I've never posted in AB. I've sent a few messages there to people here when this site was down for those few days but that's it. Like others i found AB first from searching google, saw the hatred and attitude problems there and quickly moved on to this forum :) I look at AB when i'm researching but i'll never post there, and this thread just gives me more reasons not to want to post there :)

Telson

3 Year Member
You know, i've been around the tight assed, squeemish little sheltered nerds in this hobby, and their little delicate sensibilities so long that I don't even express myself the way I want to anymore. I just realized something. I had a vodka buzzed epiphany, just now. I just realized, **** those people. Theyve influenced the most popular forum for my hobby so much that I cant stand going there. I really cant stand the people there. Now I see it bleeding into my chosen forum. Thistles, stop sticking up for AB. You come out swinging anytime anyone criticizes that piece of ****. Get over it, not everyone likes that polished turd. For those of you that complain about language on the internet, eat a ****ing ****. Get over yourselves, grow a ****ing spine and stop whining. Just excersizing my free speech rights:) @Schoolman, if you think I havent noticed you censoring peoples language, you're mistaken. Do you have any positive, helpful contributions to the site, or is enforcing your sensibilities the best you can do? Youve been crying for more power, more control for mods. I submit that its fine the way it is, people like you dont need more power. Youre useless unless someone needs a scrolling marquee fixed, lol. I love you Enn. You are quite and classy, and probably wouldnt associate with me in real life:D I havent seen chubbs since they made him a mod. Performance anxiety, probably. :D ANYWAY, just wanted to get that off my chest. Ban me, who ****ing cares anymore. Im in a hobby with mainly people I enjoyed beating the **** out of in highschool..**** it. Thanks for listening :)