• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moderators

Thistles

3 Year Member
You know, i've been around the tight assed, squeemish little sheltered nerds in this hobby, and their little delicate sensibilities so long that I don't even express myself the way I want to anymore. I just realized something. I had a vodka buzzed epiphany, just now. I just realized, **** those people. Theyve influenced the most popular forum for my hobby so much that I cant stand going there. I really cant stand the people there. Now I see it bleeding into my chosen forum.
If you want to do things a certain way, start your own forum. There are enough people who think like you. I have to take care with my language on forums, too. I cuss up a storm in real life. I just recognize that when I sign up for a community, I am agreeing to their rules.
Thistles, stop sticking up for AB. You come out swinging anytime anyone criticizes that piece of ****. Get over it, not everyone likes that polished turd.
Of course not everyone does. I just try to be fair. I understand why Casey is upset. She was banned from a forum she uses to supplement her income. I just don't think she was being completely fair to the mod who banned her. She's in the middle of the mess, so it'll be hard for her to see it from a step back.

If you don't like it, don't use it. I just think it's silly for people who don't like something to spend a lot of time and energy rehashing why they don't like it on another forum. It's their time, so feel free to rant, but if I think something is inaccurate, I'm going to say something. That goes for pretty much everything. I speak up on AB, too, and call out bullies. I do the same thing for spider care. If I think it's wrong, I say something.
For those of you that complain about language on the internet, eat a ****ing ****. Get over yourselves, grow a ****ing spine and stop whining. Just excersizing my free speech rights:) @Schoolman, if you think I havent noticed you censoring peoples language, you're mistaken.
For the record, I don't report people for language. I've reported spammers and one scammer. I absolutely believe in free speech on the internet. What you don't seem to understand is that the government isn't censoring things here, the community is. I haven't complained about language, either. I've just stood up for the rules. If you're going to agree to follow certain rules, you shouldn't complain when you're asked to abide by them. These forums are child-friendly. Most people don't want their children introduced to hard language too young. That's basically it. Most people don't suffer negative effects if they're asked to reign in their foul mouths. Sometimes I have to think a little harder about how I'm going to say something, but it's a minor inconvenience. It could be shocking for a child who is researching their new pet spider to come across some nasty language. Also, I have some older friends who are in the hobby, and hard language could put them off, too. It's about appealing to the most people. If you don't like it, don't agree to the rules. If the rules were different, there wouldn't be any problem.
Do you have any positive, helpful contributions to the site, or is enforcing your sensibilities the best you can do? Youve been crying for more power, more control for mods. I submit that its fine the way it is, people like you dont need more power. Youre useless unless someone needs a scrolling marquee fixed, lol. I love you Enn. You are quite and classy, and probably wouldnt associate with me in real life:D I havent seen chubbs since they made him a mod. Performance anxiety, probably. :D ANYWAY, just wanted to get that off my chest. Ban me, who ****ing cares anymore. Im in a hobby with mainly people I enjoyed beating the **** out of in highschool..**** it. Thanks for listening :)
Aaand I think the fact that you proudly admit to having beaten people up in high school says a lot more than I could ever express. Shame. Scoolman is an excellent mod. He takes his responsibility seriously. Maybe he's a stickler for the rules, but that's kind of what he's been asked to do by the admin.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You know, i've been around the tight assed, squeemish little sheltered nerds in this hobby, and their little delicate sensibilities so long that I don't even express myself the way I want to anymore. I just realized something. I had a vodka buzzed epiphany, just now. I just realized, **** those people. Theyve influenced the most popular forum for my hobby so much that I cant stand going there. I really cant stand the people there. Now I see it bleeding into my chosen forum. Thistles, stop sticking up for AB. You come out swinging anytime anyone criticizes that piece of ****. Get over it, not everyone likes that polished turd. For those of you that complain about language on the internet, eat a ****ing ****. Get over yourselves, grow a ****ing spine and stop whining. Just excersizing my free speech rights:) @Schoolman, if you think I havent noticed you censoring peoples language, you're mistaken. Do you have any positive, helpful contributions to the site, or is enforcing your sensibilities the best you can do? Youve been crying for more power, more control for mods. I submit that its fine the way it is, people like you dont need more power. Youre useless unless someone needs a scrolling marquee fixed, lol. I love you Enn. You are quite and classy, and probably wouldnt associate with me in real life:D I havent seen chubbs since they made him a mod. Performance anxiety, probably. :D ANYWAY, just wanted to get that off my chest. Ban me, who ****ing cares anymore. Im in a hobby with mainly people I enjoyed beating the **** out of in highschool..**** it. Thanks for listening :)

And there goes the freedom of speech, lol....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you want to do things a certain way, start your own forum. There are enough people who think like you. I have to take care with my language on forums, too. I cuss up a storm in real life. I just recognize that when I sign up for a community, I am agreeing to their rules.
Of course not everyone does. I just try to be fair. I understand why Casey is upset. She was banned from a forum she uses to supplement her income. I just don't think she was being completely fair to the mod who banned her. She's in the middle of the mess, so it'll be hard for her to see it from a step back.

If you don't like it, don't use it. I just think it's silly for people who don't like something to spend a lot of time and energy rehashing why they don't like it on another forum. It's their time, so feel free to rant, but if I think something is inaccurate, I'm going to say something. That goes for pretty much everything. I speak up on AB, too, and call out bullies. I do the same thing for spider care. If I think it's wrong, I say something.
For the record, I don't report people for language. I've reported spammers and one scammer. I absolutely believe in free speech on the internet. What you don't seem to understand is that the government isn't censoring things here, the community is. I haven't complained about language, either. I've just stood up for the rules. If you're going to agree to follow certain rules, you shouldn't complain when you're asked to abide by them. These forums are child-friendly. Most people don't want their children introduced to hard language too young. That's basically it. Most people don't suffer negative effects if they're asked to reign in their foul mouths. Sometimes I have to think a little harder about how I'm going to say something, but it's a minor inconvenience. It could be shocking for a child who is researching their new pet spider to come across some nasty language. Also, I have some older friends who are in the hobby, and hard language could put them off, too. It's about appealing to the most people. If you don't like it, don't agree to the rules. If the rules were different, there wouldn't be any problem.
Aaand I think the fact that you proudly admit to having beaten people up in high school says a lot more than I could ever express. Shame. Scoolman is an excellent mod. He takes his responsibility seriously. Maybe he's a stickler for the rules, but that's kind of what he's been asked to do by the admin.

Point taken. You know, I read the rules prior to AB's conversion and I know there were some changes done but I didn't read them. If I did, I skimmed through (shame on me) and wasn't attentive.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Point taken. You know, I read the rules prior to AB's conversion and I know there were some changes done but I didn't read them. If I did, I skimmed through (shame on me) and wasn't attentive.
I wasn't trying to call you out. That was to Telson. You're being reasonable lol.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I want to like your posts, too, but I don't want you to feel like I'm liking the because you're saying "mea culpa." Just liking everyone getting along lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mostly we do, yes. I see where the attitude comes from, it gets frustrating sometimes when people make no effort at all to research before asking questions. That's when you shut up, instead of posting negative crap because you think you're anonymous and untouchable. That's just weak people showing their charming side, and AB has always had a bunch of those folks. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions. Its what these forums are for. A newb could possibly have no idea how much info you can find just by searching a little. Many people wouldn't know how far the hobby has come, or just how much archived info is available. Plus people get excited about their fascinating new pets and just blurt stuff out, its human nature:D Even I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and im a moody bastard:p
I agree searching for info is often a very good starting point. I have used the internet for many a description of Ts when all the scientific names crop up. I do prefer the experiences of those on forums like this where you get first hand experiences often from sling stage too, which is something the so called on line care sheets seem to overlook most of the time. Word of warning........Internet searching can sometimes be dissapointing. For example. I searched in Google "lost medieval servant boy" it replied with "this paige cannot be found". Just a joke guys

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm usually a person that easily gets along with everyone. :). I don't like bickering. I try to avoid it and act like an adult in all situations.....although, there are some situations where certain individuals make me feel like I'm going back to grade school (not that they're taking me to school, btw)....lol....I'm old school. I like to walk up to you and shake your hand before I dish it out, lol (if need be). I'm pretty cool, though, if I may say so myself. I'm definitely a people person and I love to talk to everyone. :). I also like to see everyone else around me get along....although it doesn't always happen....I do try to keep the peace......"TRY", lol....

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm usually a person that easily gets along with everyone. :). I don't like bickering. I try to avoid it and act like an adult in all situations.....although, there are some situations where certain individuals make me feel like I'm going back to grade school (not that they're taking me to school, btw)....lol....I'm old school. I like to walk up to you and shake your hand before I dish it out, lol (if need be). I'm pretty cool, though, if I may say so myself. I'm definitely a people person and I love to talk to everyone. :). I also like to see everyone else around me get along....although it doesn't always happen....I do try to keep the peace......"TRY", lol....
You pitching for a dating show now Casey? Ha ha.

Telson

3 Year Member

FFS Thistles, I wasnt blaming you for everything, I said why I mentioned your name, calm down...I understand that AB has relevancy, i was just mentioning the fact that it was ****, and you act like a fangurl anytime someone here complains about it. And Schoolman offered twice to be a moderator, according to him, he wasn't ASKED to do anything, lmao. I think he has experience and valuable knowledge, but I havent seen any of it, or rarely, anyway. Ive seen a bunch of posts where he censored light curse words, editing someone elses thoughts or opinions to suit his silky boy world view, and a few helpful, monosyllabic words here and there in answer to posts, mostly wrong because he didnt bother reading all of the OPs later posts in the thread.. Yet Josh, the guy that (owns?) this site, decided this ****ing monosyllabic, language opinionated hermit should have the power to edit posts to suit him. And fix marquees..lol... Either way, Enn wipes out more spam, and does much more good, then either of those two handjobs do, yet there they are, just another symptom of mainstream yesman "veteran" keeper geeks in my hobby, editing posts, oooo this should make ol Mass mad..ffs.. Lol, I dont know why I bother. And don't shame me for beating on worms in highschool Thistles. I still get a strong urge to do it all the time. And im practically old, now. My contempt knows no bounds, so dont start in on me, college girl ;) By the way ive been trying to avoid an outburst, I was drinking and got very truthful. I apologize to everyone for my truthiness. Dont worry, ill go back to not using expletives again, so some innocent, unaware 4 year old doesnt get offended while they're looking up the finer points of T stirmi care. Ehehehe. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Speaking of Josh, has anyone seen or heard from him? I haven't really been keeping up here but i havent seen or heard from/of him since I joined....but then again, not being attentive.

Thistles

3 Year Member
FFS Thistles, I wasnt blaming you for everything, I said why I mentioned your name, calm down...I understand that AB has relevancy, i was just mentioning the fact that it was ****, and you act like a fangurl anytime someone here complains about it. And Schoolman offered twice to be a moderator, according to him, he wasn't ASKED to do anything, lmao. I think he has experience and valuable knowledge, but I havent seen any of it, or rarely, anyway. Ive seen a bunch of posts where he censored light curse words, editing someone elses thoughts or opinions to suit his silky boy world view, and a few helpful, monosyllabic words here and there in answer to posts, mostly wrong because he didnt bother reading all of the OPs later posts in the thread.. Yet Josh, the guy that (owns?) this site, decided this ****ing monosyllabic, language opinionated hermit should have the power to edit posts to suit him. And fix marquees..lol... Either way, Enn wipes out more spam, and does much more good, then either of those two handjobs do, yet there they are, just another symptom of mainstream yesman "veteran" keeper geeks in my hobby, editing posts, oooo this should make ol Mass mad..ffs.. Lol, I dont know why I bother. And don't shame me for beating on worms in highschool Thistles. I still get a strong urge to do it all the time. And im practically old, now. My contempt knows no bounds, so dont start in on me, college girl ;) By the way ive been trying to avoid an outburst, I was drinking and got very truthful. I apologize to everyone for my truthiness. Dont worry, ill go back to not using expletives again, so some innocent, unaware 4 year old doesnt get offended while they're looking up the finer points of T stirmi care. Ehehehe. :)
I'm calm. Do I seem riled up? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think you just jokingly threatened me. I think that makes you the not-so-calm one. I'm not going to make this some "x mod is better than y mod" post, but Scool is experienced and level-headed. Whether he volunteered or was drafted, when Josh made him a mod, Scool was asked to perform the functions of a mod. That includes enforcing the rules, whether you like it or not. Again, I understand what you dislike, but I don't think you're justified in your complaints given your consent to the rules.

Telson

3 Year Member
I'm calm. Do I seem riled up? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think you just jokingly threatened me. I think that makes you the not-so-calm one. I'm not going to make this some "x mod is better than y mod" post, but Scool is experienced and level-headed. Whether he volunteered or was drafted, when Josh made him a mod, Scool was asked to perform the functions of a mod. That includes enforcing the rules, whether you like it or not. Again, I understand what you dislike, but I don't think you're justified in your complaints given your consent to the rules.
That's what I mean, right there, lol! I neither threatened, nor intended any threat to you, joking or otherwise...I think you mistake blunt for brutish, girl. The thought of threatening a female is alien to me...even drunk and/or angry..it would give me no satisfaction at all...wth do you mean? Level headed? I attend this forum more than any mod, or owner, here. Except maybe for Enn..shes the only mod I see after 7 pm Texas time, when there will be 14-15 new spam posts that completely wipe new, valuable and pertinent posts off the "new posts" page. Scoolman has business elsewhere, hes made that quite clear...I have no idea where the other idiot is. But Enn is there every night when I get on. Funny..huh Thistles? I never see you here, during the "peak"hrs...

Thistles

3 Year Member
That's what I mean, right there, lol! I neither threatened, nor intended any threat to you, joking or otherwise...I think you mistake blunt for brutish, girl. The thought of threatening a female is alien to me...even drunk and/or angry..it would give me no satisfaction at all...
And don't shame me for beating on worms in highschool Thistles. I still get a strong urge to do it all the time. And im practically old, now. My contempt knows no bounds, so dont start in on me, college girl ;)
I didn't think you were serious, but I don't really know how else to take the above.

wth do you mean? Level headed? I attend this forum more than any mod, or owner, here. Except maybe for Enn..shes the only mod I see after 7 pm Texas time, when there will be 14-15 new spam posts that completely wipe new, valuable and pertinent posts off the "new posts" page. Scoolman has business elsewhere, hes made that quite clear...I have no idea where the other idiot is. But Enn is there every night when I get on. Funny..huh Thistles? I never see you here, during the "peak"hrs...
You've been a member for less than a month. You're right that Scool hasn't been on as much lately as he used to be. This isn't a paid position. If he's got stuff to do elsewhere, that's fine. I'm glad Enn is there to take care of the spam. She's also in the UK, so her timezone difference lends itself well to taking care of things during hours when American members may be asleep or otherwise occupied. This isn't "battle of the mods."

...is there a problem with the amount of time I spend on or off the forums? Do I have some obligation to be on here? Is it okay that I have a full time job while going to school and a few hundred tarantulas to care for in the few minutes a day I have off? When I do have time to check forums, it's usually on my phone on a break at work. Sometimes I don't check for days at a time. Sometimes I spend my whole day off (when I get one) checking back every hour or so. When I have something worth checking on (a potential customer or interesting thread, for example) I will be more present. Is that schedule okay with you?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Dear all, wouldn't it be better if we focus on our passions: tarantulas, scorpions, roaches, snakes, music, etc.? Let us not turn this wonderful forum in something bitter and uncomfortable. Let's keep it family friendly.

I've been a user of AB, and I still check it once in a while. But I left because I was disappointed by the behavior of some (few) members, who were so judging and harsh (typically: "you don't have enough experience to keep an OBT, how dare you?!" and downward it went...). I really like reading most of their members, but only when they are helpful and not full of disdain. And I like TarantulaForum not to be like this: we focus on the questions, not trying to either: imagine who the member is, or what are his/her skills and experience, or judging him/her, etc.

I have the feeling that this very discussion is about to turn (has already turned?) in a bad AB caricature. We are not here to speak about another forum nor its members, we are not here to speak about the mods nor other members. We are here to share what we love, our experiences, or questions and, as Kymura reminds us: our photos! And I really do appreciate when we do it with a smile (thanks Phil, among others!).

Maybe I sound preachy... Sorry for this, it's not my intention. But I really want all of us to keep this forum a mature and friendly place. (... when I say "mature", I really hope you get it in the good sense, of course...!)

Latest posts