• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Tartulas, need your experienced advice and opinion.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can still do that though, as a precaution. Scoop the substrate around the bark. Another thing that I am torn about is, for slings, should I have a water dish or is just wetting a corner of the substrate along with one side of the enclosure enough?
A water dish is always necessary for slings. The only time I don't use a water dish is 1st and 2nd instar...I use wet moss for them to drink. Chances are your T is going to be much larger than this. As for collecting stuff from the woods to use...just heat in a oven at 200 degrees for a 30-45 min. Boiling is unnecessary.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I can still do that though, as a precaution. Scoop the substrate around the bark. Another thing that I am torn about is, for slings, should I have a water dish or is just wetting a corner of the substrate along with one side of the enclosure enough?
Definitely use a water dish for each one. No need for sponges or rocks in the bowls. Your sling won't drown. I overflow the little water dishes in my sling enclosures to keep the substrate slightly damp in that area.

Microwaving is not effective at eliminating pests. Baking or boiling is more effective. Some of them will survive freezing too.

I like your list. Another fast grower in my collection that I love is A. geniculata. Easy keepers and good eaters. This spider reminds me of "Lullaby" from The Cure. One of my favorite songs.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want a fast growing T that gets big, a Lasiodora parahybana is a good bet for beginners

Anything from the Lasiodora genus is a good first spider. From what I can see, care requirements are identical. L parahybana is generally the most affordable, but after the initial cost all other expenses such as feeders and cages etc are the same. I'd start with a sling between 1" to 2" in size. If you get anything bigger, it might be a little bit intimidating. That way, you will grow with the spider and get to watch it develop. Males and females have the same colors and only differ in terms of size and lifespan. These guys are very pouncey spiders that only refrain from feeding when in late premolt. They don't have any specific humidity requirements but overflowing the water dish and keeping a bit of moist frog moss in a section of the enclosure is much appreciated. Growth rate is fast, especially if you keep them warm. They aren't picky eaters but its best to get food to them that doesn't burrow to quickly. These guys are fairly calm but not handleable. They abhor substrate that has even the slightest bit of vermiculate. I have a Lasiodora klugi which is basically my showcase spider. As they grow, they are more visible and stay out more and more often. Eventually, you will have a tarantula that is visible 2/3rds of the time out in plain sight. They do great feeding videos.

joesTs

So water a dish for my slings is a must, wet moss is appreciated, a Lasiodora parahybana is definitely in my order, bake or boil wood don't freeze, Avicularia geniculata will be included in next order. As a bonus, we got pictures of a beautiful T, I can't wait to show mine. One more question, I bought coco fiber, will that work for all slings mentioned above including the L. Parahybana?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always have fresh water in a dish for slings. Don't worry about drowning, it's not going to happen. I'll also second the Lasiodora recommendation. They're fast growing, and reach an impressive size in 2 yrs. You should get a kick out of comparing its growth rate to Brachys.

joesTs

I always have fresh water in a dish for slings. Don't worry about drowning, it's not going to happen. I'll also second the Lasiodora recommendation. They're fast growing, and reach an impressive size in 2 yrs. You should get a kick out of comparing its growth rate to Brachys.
I am so excited.

joesTs

One more thing, should I have spring tales in my enclosures? if yes, sling or adult enclosures or both? And should I worry about mites? and what to do to prevent them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So water a dish for my slings is a must, wet moss is appreciated, a Lasiodora parahybana is definitely in my order, bake or boil wood don't freeze, Avicularia geniculata will be included in next order. As a bonus, we got pictures of a beautiful T, I can't wait to show mine. One more question, I bought coco fiber, will that work for all slings mentioned above including the L. Parahybana?

I use just coco fibre for all my Ts without problems.

One more thing, should I have spring tales in my enclosures? if yes, sling or adult enclosures or both? And should I worry about mites? and what to do to prevent them.

Mites can be prevented by having plenty ventilation in the container, they can't survive in a dry environment..

joesTs

I use just coco fibre for all my Ts without problems.

Mites can be prevented by having plenty ventilation in the container, they can't survive in a dry environment..
OK perfect, I think I am good. Oh one more thing, when should i start my own feeder colonies? And what about sprigtails? Sorry for all the hassle

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK perfect, I think I am good. Oh one more thing, when should i start my own feeder colonies? And what about sprigtails? Sorry for all the hassle
I would only use springtails on a species that likes moist substrate like Theraphosa and a few others because they will die off in a dry climate. I didn't start my own colony until I got quite a few Ts and I got tired of traveling to get feeders. If you start one with only a few Ts you may become overwhelmed with feeders.

joesTs

I would only use springtails on a species that likes moist substrate like Theraphosa and a few others because they will die off in a dry climate. I didn't start my own colony until I got quite a few Ts and I got tired of traveling to get feeders. If you start one with only a few Ts you may become overwhelmed with feeders.
thanks, that is what I thought. So when the time comes to start my own colony I will know it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Coco fiber works but I prefer to use 100% organic peat because it's resistant to mold. It might cost a bit more but I'd consider it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gardening centers should have it. Certain types of plants actually require less nutrients then others. I got my organic peat from Amazon, which I assume you guys have over in Europe. If you have to special order it, it pays to get a lot. Chances are you'll save a bit of money getting it online as well.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gardening centers should have it. Certain types of plants actually require less nutrients then others. I got my organic peat from Amazon, which I assume you guys have over in Europe. If you have to special order it, it pays to get a lot. Chances are you'll save a bit of money getting it online as well.

If France is anything like the UK peat is almost impossible to buy, all to do with the conservation of the peat bogs.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If that's the case, coco-fiber will work so long as you are monitoring for mold. Should that happen, simply remove the tarantula and change the substrate. I've had to do that. It pays off to put the enclosure back together exactly as it was so that the tarantula doesn't get disorientated but that isn't that important. It'll need an extra day or two to get settled if you change other things around.

joesTs

If that's the case, coco-fiber will work so long as you are monitoring for mold. Should that happen, simply remove the tarantula and change the substrate. I've had to do that. It pays off to put the enclosure back together exactly as it was so that the tarantula doesn't get disorientated but that isn't that important. It'll need an extra day or two to get settled if you change other things around.
Oh I didn't know that. Well thanks I will make sure to put things the way they were .

Latest posts