• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

remington

Hello all,
After months of deliberation, I have finally acquired my first tarantula. It’s a B hamorii that’s about a half inch, I would say. Its abdomen is bigger than I expected it would be, and now I’m squarely conflicted on whether to feed it or wait a week or two. I need some more seasoned eyes to help me out. Photo included so you can judge its fatness :) isn’t it a cute little thing
41590BE5-4A52-40EF-BDFC-2433B273F117.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations!
Good choice for a first T and a fine looking specimen you have there! Looks healthy. When it's ready to molt it will loose the setae off its abdomen.

Offer food and see if it's hungry. Remove uneaten food items after a 24 hours. When it starts refusing food or retreats from food items then stop feeding. Does it have a water dish?

Can you share pics of the entire enclosure,?

Congrats again!

remington

Congratulations!
Good choice for a first T and a fine looking specimen you have there! Looks healthy. When it's ready to molt it will loose the setae off its abdomen.

Offer food and see if it's hungry. Remove uneaten food items after a 24 hours. When it starts refusing food or retreats from food items then stop feeding. Does it have a water dish?

Can you share pics of the entire enclosure,?

Congrats again!
Thank you! I'm very pleased with it as well.
I don't have a photo of the whole enclosure at hand, but it was the one sent with the fear not ts full package. It's a little big for the sling in my opinion, but since I'm new to this I don't exactly have a wealth of tarantula safe containers to keep it in until it grows. It's been walking all over the enclosure though, so I think it may enjoy exploring the space. I don't have a water dish yet, but I've been dripping water on the sides. I've been keep half of the substrate moist and half dry so it can choose where it wants to go. It seems to prefer the wet side.

A vial of pinhead crickets came with the package. I tried feeding but it seemed disinterested and maybe even a little scared of the cricket so I removed it. Next time I will definitely crush the head to slow the cricket down. Thanks for your advice! :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
1/2" hamorii should make short work of a pinhead cricket. They don't always eat when prey is dropped in often opting to eat overnight. You can also offer prefilled but there is a chance your new guy/gal isn't in the mood for grub.

A bottle cap makes a good water dish as does a clump of damp moss in a corner. Almost doesn't matter which cause Brachys are bulldozers.

Here is a 1.5-2" smithi sling as an example. I have to fight it to keep the water dish upright and empty-ish.
PXL_20211209_210914485.MP~2.jpg

Latest posts