• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying t

James1975

And that is totally fine. It is thought they don't feel pain like we do, so it's not cruel to keep her alive. It all boils down to personal choice. There is no right or wrong decision in these circumstances.
I know I've tried to move her it's like she is in a trance but in the last minute she has pulled her legs out from under her.is that a good sigh or not.i just don't know what to do for the best.if that other option is do able how would u do it.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I know I've tried to move her it's like she is in a trance but in the last minute she has pulled her legs out from under her.is that a good sigh or not.i just don't know what to do for the best.if that other option is do able how would u do it.

Sorry to ask but could you describe how she was sitting after you flipped her over the right way up (ie was she unable to support her weight and were all her legs curling in under her body).

If she has pulled her legs out can you please post a picture. May be a sign she is now trying to stand. But no need to try to move her yet, will only stress her.

I'm hovering between injury or exposure to some sort of chemical or pesticide. Tarantula can be harmed by insect sprays (Inc fly sprays and spot on dog/cat flea treatments), air fresheners, possibly essential oils, harsh cleaning products if used to clean their enclosures, you name it. If it is poisoning by chemical exposure it would be very difficult to pinpoint the cause. If you bought new feeders from a petshop they could have been exposed to something etc. I'm only mentioning it because if it is poisoning there is a small chance that after working its way through her system she could recover.

I'm not saying these things are definitely what's wrong, just my guesses.

Maybe it would be worth leaving it a few more days If you leave her with her mouthparts in water she can drink and you won't have to stress her by turning her to give fluid. As long as the underneath of her abdomen is not in the water, there is no chance of her drowning.

Leave her in total peace and quiet and give her a chance to mend herself for a few more days.

Euthanasia can be done if the time comes by placing her in a container lined with dry kitchen towel, then putting her in the fridge overnight. She will go to sleep. Then put the container in the freezer until frozen solid which will end life. There are other ways of doing it, but this is the method many keepers prefer as being humane.

James1975

Sorry to ask but could you describe how she was sitting after you flipped her over the right way up (ie was she unable to support her weight and were all her legs curling in under her body).

If she has pulled her legs out can you please post a picture. May be a sign she is now trying to stand. But no need to try to move her yet, will only stress her.

I'm hovering between injury or exposure to some sort of chemical or pesticide. Tarantula can be harmed by insect sprays (Inc fly sprays and spot on dog/cat flea treatments), air fresheners, possibly essential oils, harsh cleaning products if used to clean their enclosures, you name it. If it is poisoning by chemical exposure it would be very difficult to pinpoint the cause. If you bought new feeders from a petshop they could have been exposed to something etc. I'm only mentioning it because if it is poisoning there is a small chance that after working its way through her system she could recover.

Maybe it would be worth leaving it a few more days If you leave her with her mouthparts in water she can drink and you won't have to stress her by turning her to give fluid. As long as the underneath of her abdomen is not in the water, there is no chance of her drowning.

Leave her in total peace and quiet and give her a chance to mend herself for a few more days.

Euthanasia can be done if the time comes by placing her in a container lined with dry kitchen towel, then putting her in the fridge overnight. She will go to sleep. Then put the container in the freezer until frozen solid which will end life. There are other ways of doing it, but this is the method many keepers prefer as being humane.
thanks I will try and put water by her mouth and see.when I finish work I will take pic of her and see what u think.it does look like she can't support her body.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Moving her legs out from under her sounds like a good sign but we'll have to see the picture. I'm glad there's still hope!

James1975

Moving her legs out from under her sounds like a good sign but we'll have to see the picture. I'm glad there's still hope!
Here is the pic
15713269182577677530871247589375.jpg

James1975

hi there so I get back from work have her some water and tried to get her to move not much response the she started to stretch her legs so my guess would be injury or she can not support her body.i did send pic of her.i will send u another one.
15713325181262133053390024869012.jpg

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
beautiful spider! She looks fine to me, maybe just stressed out. Just make sure she has easy access to water and my guess is she will be back to normal eventually.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Cheers hope fully she will be she hasn't moved from that spot I will give her time .

Cheers for the pics. They show a spider capable of movement, the last one it's changed into a stress position (normal). No sign of dehydration or death curl. Very promising.

James1975

Cheers for the pics. They show a spider capable of movement, the last one it's changed into a stress position (normal). No sign of dehydration or death curl. Very promising.
Yeah but I'm still worried as she does not move around the enclosure just stays in the same place.im hoping it's just a stress position.but what has caused this problem I wonder.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
PS. She's capable of supporting her body and doing so in the pictures. Looks like she's on the mend from whatever it was! Keep the water dish near her, don't try to get her moving. Give it a week and try feeding again. :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah but I'm still worried as she does not move around the enclosure just stays in the same place.im hoping it's just a stress position.but what has caused this problem I wonder.

Earlier you mentioned that one of her legs looked injured. Can you describe, ie. which leg and what was it about it that made you think it was injured? Does that leg still look injured? I know it's hard to tell when she's not moving much but is there a physical injury on it or is she holding it in a weird way compared to the others? (Was it the 3rd one on the left, I'm just guessing now, got a 7/8 chance of getting it right :))

James1975

Earlier you mentioned that one of her legs looked injured. Can you describe, ie. which leg and what was it about it that made you think it was injured? Does that leg still look injured? I know it's hard to tell when she's not moving much but is there a physical injury on it or is she holding it in a weird way compared to the others? (Was it the 3rd one on the left, I'm just guessing now, got a 7/8 chance of getting it right :))
I think it was in the right side when she was walking it wasn't bending although now all legs are bent.she looks better than she was still a long way to go.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Indeed she definitely looks ok now. It's fine for her not to move around much now. She's been through a stressful moult, an enclosure change and possibly either an injury or chemical exposure ( or maybe neither of those things!). It'll take time to recover but she'll be back to normal in time.

I'm really happy to see her looking so good, she is definitely a stunner and you've done a great job making sure she didn't get dehydrated for all those days that she wasn't moving .

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Looking better! Looks like she's strong enough to support herself, even without using those two front legs. I'm glad!

She's very pretty too, I love that fresh new hair on her abdomen. Looks like she combs it daily.

James1975

Indeed she definitely looks ok now. It's fine for her not to move around much now. She's been through a stressful moult, an enclosure change and possibly either an injury or chemical exposure ( or maybe neither of those things!). It'll take time to recover but she'll be back to normal in time.

I'm really happy to see her looking so good, she is definitely a stunner and you've done a great job making sure she didn't get dehydrated for all those days that she wasn't moving .
Good job I didn't put her In the fridge lol.on a serious note thanks to u i

It's a good job I didn't put her in the fridge lol.on a serious note thank you for everything I will keep u updated on her road to recovery.and your right she is a beautiful t.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Good job I didn't put her In the fridge lol.on a serious note thanks to u i

It's a good job I didn't put her in the fridge lol.on a serious note thank you for everything I will keep u updated on her road to recovery.and your right she is a beautiful t.

I shudder to think! I did keep stating that the time hadn't come for anything drastic like that, and to give it a few more days. Mind you, from your descriptions of her condition I was half expecting her to pass naturally before the week was out. When you sent these latest pictures, you could have knocked me down with a feather. I was expecting to see a tarantula in partial or full death curl, not one that looked in such good shape. I've been in work until late and believe me, it was a pleasant surprise.
The news couldn't be better, I'm so glad for you :D

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Same, it had seemed more likely that she wouldn't make it. I guess she just had some important fake moulting to do. Method acting maybe.