• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying t

James1975

Thanks for the picture. I was expecting to see her on her back so did you flip her or did she right herself?
Also, what are those bottles of potions by her cage? Tried to zoom in but everything went super blurry!!
Yeah I've flipped her over and those bottles or vape juice.her legs are still crunched up and she is still moving them.i have dropped some water on her fangs,I think I'm going to loose her.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah I've flipped her over and those bottles or vape juice.her legs are still crunched up and she is still moving them.i have dropped some water on her fangs,I think I'm going to loose her.

I'd move those bottles of vape juice away from her, any fumes off them could harm her

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've moved them it's horrible fo watch,I feel helpless that I carnt help her.

Sadly there is not enough known about them to be able to help when they're sick except make sure they can get water easily

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
As @Enn49 says, all you can do is make sure there are no chemicals near her enclosure, that she has fresh water in a waterbowl nearby. Don't spray the enclosure or add water to the substrate, as it already looks damp.

Also are your temperatures good? Is your room around 22-28C?

From what you've told us, she seemed fine after moulting and started feeding after 2 weeks but then you noticed her lying on her side motionless, then you saw that one of her legs looked broken/injured. I'm trying to work out whether that happened in the moult or after? Maybe something else went wrong in that moult, or when she sustained the leg injury if it happened later. Her abdomen looks huge for a recently moulted t.

Which leg is it and when did you first notice the injury? If it's possible to take a pic of that leg without disturbing her that could be helpful, because I can't tell in any of the pictures which one it is unfortunately. When you do that, without touching her get a good look at her body to see if anything else looks injured or 'not right'. And take a photo of anything you notice.

All you can do now is the above and try not to disturb her much (I know that'll be really hard as you are worried!), other than occasional looking in. Low light (preferably darkness), no noise. She needs peace and quiet now. She's probably extremely stressed and quiet time could help aid recovery, if recovery is possible.

Sorry that's all I can offer for now. I really hope for you that she pulls through.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Looks like a death curl unfortunately (or possibly a stress curl). Of course, that doesn't mean that she's dying, as it's caused by dehydration, and she can recover from it. Has she moved recently? If she goes too long I might try to get her some more water but besides that yeah, the only thing I can recommend is to try not to stress her out too much.

James1975

Looks like a death curl unfortunately (or possibly a stress curl). Of course, that doesn't mean that she's dying, as it's caused by dehydration, and she can recover from it. Has she moved recently? If she goes too long I might try to get her some more water but besides that yeah, the only thing I can recommend is to try not to stress her out too much.
She was recently rehoused after molt but that was when she hardened up and she was eating.

Tschorm

I am pretty new in the hobby, but can a T maybe get a vestibular disorder? And that´s what we are seeing here? I only know it from chick´s they can have it after hatching, so that they cant walk or sit without tipping over. But does´nt know if a T has this type off organ, or how they figure out where up and down is and keep balance. But it really reads from the discription like a vestibular disorder, so that she was unable to get out off the water dish and laying on her back, legs doing weird stuff.
Maybe somebody knows better with T anatomy, and if it could be possible for a T to suffer this in/after a molt. With chick´s the way to fix this (if possible) is to keep them upright fixed for a day, so that they can find there balance and if that isnt working there is not much you can do for them.
Doesnt know if this is any helpful, like I said doesnt know anything about T anatomy in detail, I think there is only to wait and seeing what happens, but if she is curling up you can only try to keep her hydratet, I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
If she was recently rehoused my guess (and this is just a guess) is she's either done some extra-curricular climbing, which they all do when rehoused and managed to injure herself by falling. I suspect she's injured something internally as well as the leg.
Or much less likely, maybe she's injured only her leg but you've been really unlucky and there is some sort of contaminant in the substrate you use (potting or topsoil?) which has made her unwell.
Unfortunately, there's nothing you can really do now, other than make sure she is able to drink and has peace and quiet.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I am pretty new in the hobby, but can a T maybe get a vestibular disorder? And that´s what we are seeing here? I only know it from chick´s they can have it after hatching, so that they cant walk or sit without tipping over. But does´nt know if a T has this type off organ, or how they figure out where up and down is and keep balance. But it really reads from the discription like a vestibular disorder, so that she was unable to get out off the water dish and laying on her back, legs doing weird stuff.
Maybe somebody knows better with T anatomy, and if it could be possible for a T to suffer this in/after a molt. With chick´s the way to fix this (if possible) is to keep them upright fixed for a day, so that they can find there balance and if that isnt working there is not much you can do for them.
Doesnt know if this is any helpful, like I said doesnt know anything about T anatomy in detail, I think there is only to wait and seeing what happens, but if she is curling up you can only try to keep her hydratet, I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you

Really interesting. I don't think they can get that disorder as they don't have ears. Their hairs detect sound waves though.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Thought I'd mention they can get something called Dyskinetic Syndrome or DKS for short, which affects their motor control and makes them unable to walk normally (in a very noticeable way).

DKS isn't an actual illness though, it is a symptom of a host of other complaints. Just to give a couple of examples of the possible causes - exposure to extremes of temperature, or chemical exposure (eg. pesticides), dehydration.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I agree, that's really interesting. I found a book once detailing tarantula anatomy, maybe it would be of use to you (of course it might be outdated, but I'm sure there's still some information). It was available to read on Google Books so if I find it again I could give it to you.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I've always thought DKS sounded like it might be caused by nervous system damage. Has anyone done research on this? Last time I checked no one really understood it yet.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I've always thought DKS sounded like it might be caused by nervous system damage. Has anyone done research on this? Last time I checked no one really understood it yet.

Not yet to my knowledge, but hopefully one day it is properly studied and understood.

James1975

If she was recently rehoused my guess (and this is just a guess) is she's either done some extra-curricular climbing, which they all do when rehoused and managed to injure herself by falling. I suspect she's injured something internally as well as the leg.
Or much less likely, maybe she's injured only her leg but you've been really unlucky and there is some sort of contaminant in the substrate you use (potting or topsoil?) which has made her unwell.
Unfortunately, there's nothing you can really do now, other than make sure she is able to drink and has peace and quiet.
Yeah she is still with me no change I don't know about the substrate I normally use spider life my aphonopelma sp new river rust rump has got that top soil should I change it in case it is bad.when I did rehoused her she spent most of her time on the enclosure so she could of fallen I just don't know.some body on here suggested that diesese where they loose all the body functions.u have been great support I will keep u updated.

James1975

Thanks for the info I do really appreciate it thanks I will keep u updated.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah she is still with me no change I don't know about the substrate I normally use spider life my aphonopelma sp new river rust rump has got that top soil should I change it in case it is bad.when I did rehoused her she spent most of her time on the enclosure so she could of fallen I just don't know.some body on here suggested that diesese where they loose all the body functions.u have been great support I will keep u updated.

While there's life there is hope. Has she moved or changed position since yesterday?

I wouldn't rehouse the Aphonopelma, especially if she's been on that topsoil for a while. If it's topsoil, it's just dirt that hasn't had any
fertilisers added to it.
I also think she's had a fall + sustained some other injury than just the leg.

I don't think anyone was saying your genic has DKS. It was brought up because someone mentioned a balance disorder that chicks can get. DKS isn't a disease but it's a symptom (like a rash is a symptom of measles or chicken pox or etc. ......you get the picture!) It's not well understood but the spider loses the ability to move and feed in a coordinated way. Often very jerky movements, legs going everywhere in an uncoordinated flurry. Poisoning by chemical exposure is suspected to be the main culprit, but noone really knows.

Latest posts