• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying t

James1975

While there's life there is hope. Has she moved or changed position since yesterday?

I wouldn't rehouse the Aphonopelma, especially if she's been on that topsoil for a while. If it's topsoil, it's just dirt that hasn't had any
fertilisers added to it.
I also think she's had a fall + sustained some other injury than just the leg.

I don't think anyone was saying your genic has DKS. It was brought up because someone mentioned a balance disorder that chicks can get. DKS isn't a disease but it's a symptom (like a rash is a symptom of measles or chicken pox or etc. ......you get the picture!) It's not well understood but the spider loses the ability to move and feed in a coordinated way. Often very jerky movements, legs going everywhere in an uncoordinated flurry. Poisoning by chemical exposure is suspected to be the main culprit, but noone really knows.
could of been a bad molt.its just not knowing what it is which is frustrating.its been 5 days she is still alive I will keep her comfortable and hope she pulls through but of course I will keep u updated.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
could of been a bad molt.its just not knowing what it is which is frustrating.its been 5 days she is still alive I will keep her comfortable and hope she pulls through but of course I will keep u updated.

Did she flip back over herself or did you turn her back over to put a drop of water on her mouthparts? I'm only asking as if she flipped herself back over that shows she has the strength to do so plus is really trying to moult.
Seems she has gone into an extremely premature moult that she is not able to complete. She hasn't even popped her carapace. Poor thing. Sorry you are having to go through this, it's horrible.

James1975

Did she flip back over herself or did you turn her back over to put a drop of water on her mouthparts? I'm only asking as if she flipped herself back over that shows she has the strength to do so plus is really trying to moult.
Seems she has gone into an extremely premature moult that she is not able to complete. She hasn't even popped her carapace. Poor thing. Sorry you are having to go through this, it's horrible.
[/QUOT I put her back up I've been dropping water on her it's been 5 days sin
I put her back up and dropped water on her.its been 5 days now.i feel completely useless that I can't help her it's heartbreaking to watch her like this.thanks for keeping in torch.i can only hope she pulls through.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put her back up and dropped water on her.its been 5 days now.i feel completely useless that I can't help her it's heartbreaking to watch her like this.thanks for keeping in torch.i can only hope she pulls through.

I hope she pulls through. I know how horrible it is to watch a T struggling & feel unable to help them.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I'm glad.

So, since she seems to believe she should be molting, despite not actually being molting, that makes me wonder, what if they have something like ants? Basically, dead ants have a particular substance on them that makes other ants believe they're dead and put them in the graveyard pile. But if you put this on a living ant, the ant, and every other ant, will believe it's dead, even if it's moving (to clarify, the ant itself thinks it's dead, because it smells dead). So maybe tarantulas have some kind of hormone that makes them believe they should be (or possibly force them to be) contracting their legs. It could be totally wrong but it just seems like an interesting idea.

James1975

I'm glad.

So, since she seems to believe she should be molting, despite not actually being molting, that makes me wonder, what if they have something like ants? Basically, dead ants have a particular substance on them that makes other ants believe they're dead and put them in the graveyard pile. But if you put this on a living ant, the ant, and every other ant, will believe it's dead, even if it's moving (to clarify, the ant itself thinks it's dead, because it smells dead). So maybe tarantulas have some kind of hormone that makes them believe they should be (or possibly force them to be) contracting their legs. It could be totally wrong but it just seems like an interesting idea.
u could have a point she picks up when I drop water on her do u think put her in ITC.

James1975

It's been 7 days she is still alive moving her legs slowly.i would of thought if she was dying she would of gone by now.im baffled to know what is happening is there anything I can try.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
It's been 7 days she is still alive moving her legs slowly.i would of thought if she was dying she would of gone by now.im baffled to know what is happening is there anything I can try.

I wouldn't try ICU. It can be harmful as it just leaves them stewing in overly humid conditions plus the added stress of taking them from their enclosure.

To be honest, I keep swinging between thinking it could possibly be trying to moult, to not being convinced that it's moulting. Especially, as it's still alive. I've not heard of a t stuck moulting (with no sign of a moult I.e. popped carapace other than the t bring found on its back) for a week and still being alive.

I'm probably going to be slated for saying this, but if it was mine, I'd flip it over the right way, with its mouthparts in a waterdish and leave it alone for 3 days. I think it could be injured and just be too weak to stand upright. In that time, it'll either get better or pass away. If no progress at all, you could then consider euthanasia if you feel able to do so. If so, post again in 3 days or pm me and I'll talk you through how to do it in the most humane way. But let's see if anything changes in the next few days first.

I'm really crossing my fingers for her and you. Hate to hear of any animal unwell and I know you love her.

James1975

I wouldn't try ICU. It can be harmful as it just leaves them stewing in overly humid conditions plus the added stress of taking them from their enclosure.

To be honest, I keep swinging between thinking it could possibly be trying to moult, to not being convinced that it's moulting. Especially, as it's still alive. I've not heard of a t stuck moulting (with no sign of a moult I.e. popped carapace other than the t bring found on its back) for a week and still being alive.

I'm probably going to be slated for saying this, but if it was mine, I'd flip it over the right way, with its mouthparts in a waterdish and leave it alone for 3 days. I think it could be injured and just be too weak to stand upright. In that time, it'll either get better or pass away. If no progress at all, you could then consider euthanasia if you feel able to do so. If so, post again in 3 days or pm me and I'll talk you through how to do it in the most humane way. But let's see if anything changes in the next few days first.

I'm really crossing my fingers for her and you. Hate to hear of any animal unwell and I know you love her.
Thanks for your help I will try water dish first and see what happens.and I wouldn't slate u as u are trying to help me.i do love her very much.she is my baby.i will let u know how it goes.and thanks.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your help I will try water dish first and see what happens.and I wouldn't slate u as u are trying to help me.i do love her very much.she is my baby.i will let u know how it goes.and thanks.

Thanks James. You've done a marvellous job of keeping her alive. Unfortunately, there's very little that can be done in these situations. It's up to her now.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Yeah, I agree. I don't really "like" euthanasia because it feels like maybe if I just waited longer they'd recover, but really it's the best you can do for them to try to minimize their suffering (it's easy to feel like life is worth more but I think if something is suffering I think it's really worth more to try to help it be comfortable).

It also seems to me like she must think she is or should be molting for some reason, even though she's clearly not. But since she isn't done she just keeps trying. It's weird but it's all that makes sense.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I agree. I don't really "like" euthanasia because it feels like maybe if I just waited longer they'd recover, but really it's the best you can do for them to try to minimize their suffering (it's easy to feel like life is worth more but I think if something is suffering I think it's really worth more to try to help it be comfortable).

Thank you. My feelings too. :)

James1975

Thanks James. You've done a marvellous job of keeping her alive. Unfortunately, there's very little that can be done in these situations. It's up to her now.
I'm not sure I can do that but I'm going to do my
Thank you. My feelings too. :)
I just don't think I can do it it will just break my heart.i see where your coming from though I don't want her to suffer.im in a bad place right now.just don't know what to do for the best.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'm not sure I can do that but I'm going to do my
I just don't think I can do it it will just break my heart.i see where your coming from though I don't want her to suffer.im in a bad place right now.just don't know what to do for the best.

And that is totally fine. It is thought they don't feel pain like we do, so it's not cruel to keep her alive. It all boils down to personal choice. There is no right or wrong decision in these circumstances.

Latest posts