• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY - Enclosures of your own design

Lady J

Yeah you kinda need that, its the same with skidish terrestrials. Here is another material alternative and likely the one I will use

Polycarbonate sheet - polycarbonate sheets are as clear as glass, and they are 250 times more resistant to breakage than standard glass and 30 times more resistant to impact than acrylic sheet plastic. UV and weather resistant. They're also non toxic unlike acrylic

10 gallon Terrestrial Terrarium (accommodates Tarantulas 5-6", Larger T's will need a larger enclosure. I am going by the 3x rule)
- 4 polycarbonate sheets 12 x 20
- 2 polycarbonate sheets 12 x 12
= $52.95
total with other materials = $ 65.00
DIY Kit: $65 plus shipping
Built: $75 plus shipping

included in Kit: ( 6x polycarbonate sheets cut to size "7 if your including the hatch, doesn't effect charge", 2x acrylic hinges, 1x handle/knob/pull, 1x magnet lock. 2x sliders cut to size, 4x adhesive furnature protectors,1x tube of aquarium safe silicone adhesive )

Last edited:

Logan D

3 Year Member
I really like the price point of that, think you could build one so I can see a finished product?

Lady J

Yes! I will be building one for myself to make sure my design is sound, I will take pictures and possibly make a video showcasing functionality. If it doesn't work, gotta change the design. I will probably make a mock out of cardboard or heavy duty paper just to test it before I make the final

Lady J

Ok! The design has been tested and I had to make a few adjustments. This is the officially tested functional re-design. This current design allows for 4" of substrate. If you have an obligate burrower I have to make this enclosure taller, so they can enjoy their deep hides.

Terrestrial enclosure ver 2.JPG

Roman Sergeev

Here is designed by my own terrarium for juvenile p.regalis. It is about 15х10х10 inches

Ventilation holes MUST be in the bottom and in the top. It will help you to avoid the mold by convection process.
Vent holes is temporary, soon i will replace it with *this ones*

This terrarium became really practice.
And cheap. It cost me about 14$. 7$ for the glass, 3$ for silicone, and other for the furniture (magnets, slides, ventilation)
Gfo5fKk.jpg

Lady J

very nice! that's actually how I designed my arboreal enclosure the only issue with that is it is glass and will require metal ventilation plates. Glass is also heavy. I designed mine to be made out of polycarbonate which is much lighter and stronger then glass yet very easy to cut. you can drill your own ventilation holes wherever you need them. Glass is also expensive here in NY for some reason, polycarbonate is cheaper.

crystalfreakkk

3 Year Member
For slings I buy Amac boxes at thecontainerstore.com they cost at most like $3? For my adult A. Avic I was able to make a 12x18 plexiglass enclosure for under $50. Maybe you should consider buying larger sheets and then cutting them? I bought one big sheet and then was able to cut it down to create all the sides. Maybe that would be more cost effective. Just an idea. What kind of adhesive/sealant would you use?

As an arboreal keeper, I love that design! Keep me posted on that contest. My avicularia would really enjoy this! Keep posting ideas too, the designs are fantastic and it’s giving me inspiration. :)

Lady J

Sorry for the late reply I've been really busy with school *im a full time college student*. No, I haven't had a chance to buy the materials. I'm hoping I can get someone to pick it up for me and I give the money for it, that way when I get a break I can assemble it.

Hi, just thought I'd post a few pictures of my arboreal enclosures. For the tiny slings, I've kept it simple, just a piece of cork bark and a small succulent plant in an upturned Ferrero Rocher pot, hinged at the front (Dark Den style). But for my 3 inch Caribena Versicolor I have an enclosure from The Spider Shop, into which I've placed a sculpted background I made from polystyrene sheet with coco fibre stuck to it. It has a cork tube, bromeliad & succulent, plus a drainage layer & springtails to help keep any nasties at bay. For the time being, the little spooder has decided to live inside the bromeliad and web a pretty amazing tunnel down into it, but when it gets a bit too big for that, I'm hoping it'll move into the cork bark instead.

IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0246.JPGIMG_0281.JPG

Latest posts