• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY - Enclosures of your own design

Lady J

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but I wanted to talk about T enclosures. Frankly I hate all of them for one reason or another they're not practical. I decided to design my own. Right now I have one kritter keeper and two hobby lobby enclosures. The Kritter keeper lid is hard to remove and the hobby lobby lids are easy to drop and can harm your T if they're on the lid. I'm starting with a sling enclosure design before I buy the materials needed to make it. Have a look, I plan to make this one out of scratch resistant plexiglass.This design can be used for terrestrial or arboreal slings it just depends on the amount of substrate you use. Any feed back is good feed back, If there's anything you don't like about the enclosure let me know and I will adjust it until an ideal enclosure is designed before I go into production. Juvenile and Adult enclosures will follow for burrowers, terrestrial and arboreal species.

Attachments

• Sling Enclosure ver. 1.jpg
    Sling Enclosure ver. 1.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 307

Logan D

3 Year Member
I would suggest on the sides so that it will hold moisture better with the holes being on the top water would evaporate out of the enclosure faster and what sizes are you thinking cause 5gal 10 gallon even 20 gallon would be nice

Lady J

right now this is enclosure design is for a sling so a spiderling from birth to 1-1 1/2 max. Sounds like you want an adult terrarium design. I was going to design a juvenile and adult terrarium a bit later but I can whip up something now

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use 4" cube glass containers for my larger slings made by spidershop.pl. They have a strip if metal mesh across one side, holes too big for small feet to get caught in but too small for a sling to squeeze through. The lids fit snugly and because they are double thickness glass heavy enough to prevent being pushed off. The upper layer of glass sits over the sides while the bottom layer fits snugly inside the container preventing the lid sliding open.

DSCF3945.JPG

DSCF3946.JPG

Logan D

3 Year Member
I use 4" cube glass containers for my larger slings made by spidershop.pl. They have a strip if metal mesh across one side, holes too big for small feet to get caught in but too small for a sling to squeeze through. The lids fit snugly and because they are double thickness glass heavy enough to prevent being pushed off. The upper layer of glass sits over the sides while the bottom layer fits snugly inside the container preventing the lid sliding open.

View attachment 32215

View attachment 32216
I would just worry about ts trying to chew threw the mesh and injuring themselves or escaping

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would just worry about ts trying to chew threw the mesh and injuring themselves or escaping

The mesh is too thick for them to chew through, even my adult Ts that have the same mesh in their containers have never attempted it.

Logan D

3 Year Member
alright ive heard and seen videos on youtube where a t had made its way threw a mesh vent I suppose that would be to thick for them just good to be on the side of caution

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
alright ive heard and seen videos on youtube where a t had made its way threw a mesh vent I suppose that would be to thick for them just good to be on the side of caution

They have been tried and tested by some of the top breeders and collectors in Europe.

Lady J

The "window" is not an opening, it will be a spot covered by a piece of dark plexiglass that can be removed via magnet from the clear plexiglass so you can view your hiding tarantula and re-cover so your T can feel secure

Lady J

Here is a price breakdown for a 10 gallon tank

- 3 sheets of acrylic AR 2 1/8" thick 12" x 20"
- 1 sheet of cast acrylic 1/8" thick 12" x 20"
- 2 sheets of cast acrylic 1/8" thick 12" x 12"
$160

- acrylic hinges $1.40

- PVC moulding $3

- knob: .80c-$1

- magnets $1.50

- furniture protectors ill just throw in for free

total: $166.90 and that's just material cost. I will keep pricing around to get the lowest price possible. If I were to sell this as a DIY kit It will be the material cost shown there plus shipping. If I were to sell it built, $185 plus shipping. That's with the current material cost I have If I can find lower price for the acrylic (mind you this is high quality acrylic that's lighter then glass, but stronger, resistant to chemicals and scratches) I will lower the prices.

Alternative to AR acrylic

Plaskolite - 20x stronger then glass, UV resistant, weather resistant 18" x 24" 6 sheets
$71.88

DIY kit with Plaskolite: - $78.81 plus shipping
built by me: - $90 plus shipping

* if theres enough acrylic left over I can use it to make a sling enclosure or juvenile enclosure which will be added as a bonus, free of charge

Last edited:

Lady J

Terrestrial Enclosure
*note* this is not for pet holes, I have to design a different enclosure for burrowers so you can enjoy them even when they're burried
Terrestrial enclosure.jpg

Logan D

3 Year Member
Alright I think where you would get most sales would be with the plaskolite the ar acrylic with the cost of it you could almost buy 2 really nice exo terras for that price

Lady J

Agreed. I'm going to make one for myself first to ensure it works! Then, if others in the hobby are interested I will make these for them too. I don't have an arboreal T so for the arboreal enclosure I might make a contest, whoever wins will get the enclosure free and give me feedback on how well it works or any changes I can make to make it better.

By the way, I have the maintenance hatches as pull downs since it seems more economical, but what do you guy prefer? A hatch that goes down or a hatch that opens sideways like a regular door?

Last edited:

Logan D

3 Year Member
I like that you have access from the top and side some arboreal ts will run around their cage when you enter so having both options is defiantly a plus

Latest posts