• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Club Avicularia/Avics

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The one you posted first the Sp. Ecuador, does it have orange on the abdomen ? Doesn't matter in what shape,it should have orange on the side and look like a black stripe forming through the middle. Just goes to show,pics can mislead like when I looked at it. Also,what threw me off was Avicularia Sp. Ecuador since the common name used for Avicularia Purpurea is Ecuadorian pink toe which that one isn't.

Last edited:

MrBoom619

3 Year Member
Do me a favour,look up the Avicularia Sp. Peru purple and compare just be careful some on the net are not the Sp. Peru purple. I think I saw a piece about it on arachnaboards BTS and ATS.
Yeah, the Avicularia genus is so messed up, lol. Do you have any info you could possibly pass to me concerning the A.ulrichea and A.aurantiaca? Oh and the A.sp. Pucallpa? I would definitely appreciate pictures if possible! Thanks Martin!

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, the Avicularia genus is so messed up, lol. Do you have any info you could possibly pass to me concerning the A.ulrichea and A.aurantiaca? Oh and the A.sp. Pucallpa? I would definitely appreciate pictures if possible! Thanks Martin!

I will have a look when I get home,I have files just not sure if I have on those. Internet can be very misleading,so I will try.

MrBoom619

3 Year Member
The one you posted first the Sp. Ecuador, does it have orange on the abdomen ? Doesn't matter in what shape,it should have orange on the side and look like a black stripe forming through the middle. Just goes to show,pics can mislead like when I looked at it. Also,what threw me off was Avicularia Sp. Ecuador since the common name used for Avicularia Purpurea is Ecuadorian pink toe which that one isn't.

It does have orange "chevrons" on the abdomen which is different from any of the "purple" Avicularia species I own or have seen. As a sling it looked very similar to the A.purpurea (Ecuadorian Pinktoe) however the difference on appearance is that it had a reddish hue on the abdomen which is abesnt on the A.purpurea.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It does have orange "chevrons" on the abdomen which is different from any of the "purple" Avicularia species I own or have seen. As a sling it looked very similar to the A.purpurea (Ecuadorian Pinktoe) however the difference on appearance is that it had a reddish hue on the abdomen which is abesnt on the A.purpurea.

Mmm,then my suspicion is correct some call it commonly by the following name.
- black striped pink toe or black stripe pink toe
I haven't seen any available in the hobby, you are very lucky indeed.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1413218448501.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm getting my first Avic (Versicolor) on Tuesday :T:. Still a sling, but at 4.5 cm leg span, it's not too tiny anymore. Can't wait! Also ordered a T. Gigas, so I'm definitely venturing into arboreal territory.
Just need to be extra nice to the hubby this weekend as he doesn't know yet, lol (I promised him the GBB would be the last spider for a while, although he did say (jokingly) that he wanted an OBT - well, the T. Gigas will be orange and fast, so we're half way there, lol).

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm getting my first Avic (Versicolor) on Tuesday :T:. Still a sling, but at 4.5 cm leg span, it's not too tiny anymore. Can't wait! Also ordered a T. Gigas, so I'm definitely venturing into arboreal territory.
Just need to be extra nice to the hubby this weekend as he doesn't know yet, lol (I promised him the GBB would be the last spider for a while, although he did say (jokingly) that he wanted an OBT - well, the T. Gigas will be orange and fast, so we're half way there, lol).
Haha smartly done !!!

MrBoom619

3 Year Member

Very nice!!!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here they are (I'm posting pics of my Gigas in here, too, as they IIRC in the same family(?) ):
Tiny Gigas sling:
IMG_5020_zpsf212dcd8.jpg

a578ea8b-f919-496c-ad81-aa0bcaeaede8_zpsd2380bf2.jpg

A. Versi. Has been very busy webbing a tunnel for itself. I think my husband is in love, lol.
IMG_5025_zpsccec6bfc.jpg

IMG_5026_zpsb115b6a8.jpg

IMG_5016_zps8cdf5962.jpg

IMG_5018_zpsb7108df4.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi and thanks.
The little guy/gal seems to have settled in fine. It kept jumping for the water droplets when I sprayed the tank, so I actually gave it one of the little moths the wax worms had turned into. It got it over night.
It keeps running down its tube at disturbances but comes back up after only 1-2 minutes, so it seems to be confident enough.

I had to rehouse my Gigas already, because I didn't see how long its legs actually are, lol. When it climbed along the little vial it was in it didn't have much space to move around too much. It now lives in a small tilted sweetie jar which is still huge, but it seems more content usually moving between its log and plant. It goes for a little wander every night, so I might try and feed it soon.