• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

big up the rose hairs!

Nerris

3 Year Member
My baby girl molted for the first time since she has been with me over the weekend! She is sooo much bigger, I didn't expect to see such a change. So I have a question for all you lovely people. She is too big for her tank now. It's only a little plastic one and I got given a tank from my cousin which had his turtles in and it is massive, so she will be able to live in that for a good portion of her life. How do I get her out of the old one? I'm not doing it yet. Not for a few weeks until I know she is ok but I just want to know. Every time I open the lid, she flinches or if I take her water bowl, she gets skittish. I haven't held her since I got her which was last November. The guy that had her before did but I don't have the confidence. What is going to be the safest way to move her?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Get something for her to walk into like a clean pot or jar. Leave it in with her so she can explore it ( rosies are usually nosey and wIll explore.) When she goes in the jar or pot just put the lid on and then you can move her.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can put the pot she is in into the big enclosure when its ready and just take the lid off and let her climb out in her own time. Congratulations on the moult.

Nerris

3 Year Member
Thank you! I know I ask a lot of questions and I'm sorry. Just really don't want to do anything wrong. With the new tank I have, I want to fill it about 2 3rd's full because she tends to climb the walls at the moment and I read that isn't good for a Chilean to do as they are burrowers. What is the best substrate to use? Someone said eco earth, will that be ok?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes eco earth is perfect. Dont worry about asking questions, we know you want whats best for your t. And yes put plenty of substrate in so she doesnt have far to fall if she does loose her grip. Good luck with her house upgrade. Hope you can put a pic on soon I would love to see how she looks now.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some Rosies will burrow, others won't. Mine started excavating a tunnel inside her hide, but now she just sits on top of her larger water dish LOL. So if yours doesn't burrow don't worry about it, as long as she's got a place to hide away :) As for the climbing, that usually subsides as they become comfortable in their surroundings, and the substrate is kept dry (they really hate moist sub).

Nerris

3 Year Member
She is a bit crumpled up here but she has definitely filled out and got bigger. Soooo happy with her! Nay 4 is the before pic and New Nerris is her now!

Attachments

• New Nerris.jpg
    New Nerris.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Nay 4.jpg
    Nay 4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 14

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In Coppelias picture you can see one of the small huts I got with Pirate and Bandit my genics. I doubt they would even fit one of there feet in there now.....

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Noelle is now always sitting on top of her big water dish (the one that I used because she kept stealing the bottle cap), just sprawled across the top, but not in the water. She ran up towards me and attacked the water when I went to go fill her dish yesterday LOL.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha Bandit does that but its because she is such a pig she thinks its food lol. She is not gaurding the bowl like Noelle. If Noelle is that bad with a water bowl I wonder what she will be like if she has babies?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh my! I don't even want to imagine how defensive and protective she'd be. I think I'm going to buy her a ping pong ball, and see what she does with it lol

Latest posts