• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding to a collection

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
My rosea is very similar to that. She seems to associate the tongs or anything else that looks like them with food, so she'll turn around and try to grab anything you touch her with. I don't handle her for fun, but if I need to move her for some reason I usually use my hands. My B. smithi doesn't seem to mind being moved using non-handling methods, and my wolf spider is so aggressive she absolutely has to be moved without touching her.

As long as people are reasonable about it I don't have a problem with them handling their spiders. I don't like the idea of people handling them just for fun, but I can see a lot of situations where it might be appropriate.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
My rosea is very similar to that. She seems to associate the tongs or anything else that looks like them with food, so she'll turn around and try to grab anything you touch her with. I don't handle her for fun, but if I need to move her for some reason I usually use my hands. My B. smithi doesn't seem to mind being moved using non-handling methods, and my wolf spider is so aggressive she absolutely has to be moved without touching her.

As long as people are reasonable about it I don't have a problem with them handling their spiders. I don't like the idea of people handling them just for fun, but I can see a lot of situations where it might be appropriate.

I've had several large wolf spiders and I don't think there is any way a person could hold one. They are in hyper drive all the time. Atleast every 2 days I hold all my G rosea and porteri. I even hold my Avics alot.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I've had several large wolf spiders and I don't think there is any way a person could hold one. They are in hyper drive all the time. Atleast every 2 days I hold all my G rosea and porteri. I even hold my Avics alot.

In my fieldwork I've encountered several very large male wolf spiders that were easy to handle, but every female I've ever seen has been like you just described.

My G rosea seems a bit on the aggressive side for a rosehair at least. May just be her response to food but I feel like I'd probably get bitten if I handled her a lot.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I think food and water has a lot to do with it. I keep mine fed and water well. Maybe their in a food coma and easy to handle?????

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
She eats fine and always has fresh water. She's just been a bit feisty since I got her; the first thing she did when I unboxed her was raise up in a threat position.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I'm wondering if that is always a threat pose. I have an adult female that does that sometimes when I take off the lid. She will stay like that until I lay my hand down, then she just walks on. When I do maint. she does it when the lid comes off but comes down when she sees whats going on. I wonder if it's more of a reflex movement because of a sudden sound or movement. Then there is always the chance it's one of the unfriendly ones.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
That may be what's going on with her. She doesn't really seem aggressive so much as easily excitable compared to the really slow, docile reputation roseas have.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
You guys should start a thread on handling and see what other people have to say. I bet there would be a lot of discussion :T:

Did just that on another board, one that does not have a very good reputation. It turned into a fist fight !! There are people there that truly think that if it's not what they think, then it's not right and they will tell you that. Even had one of the Mods reply once that they, meaning him and the others, were tired of correcting all the people that knew nothing. Theres a dozen or so that post replies to every question ask, and they are the ones who have and are running off people. On the holding issue, you would not believe some of their replies. They have their egos so far up their +++ it's almost funny. They never touch their Ts, and some actually talk about how they poke and prod them to make it go into a threat pose or strike. They like that, it's the coolest part of owning a T. No, I won't be starting a post like that here. I doubt it would get out of hand since the people here so far have acted like adults, and I'm very sure Martin would put a stop to it long before it would get to a bad point. Lets just say If you want to hold your T, then please do, enjoy it. If you don't, thats your choice, but be adult about it and as I've said before, don't slam others because they want to.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
In my fieldwork I've encountered several very large male wolf spiders that were easy to handle, but every female I've ever seen has been like you just described.

My G rosea seems a bit on the aggressive side for a rosehair at least. May just be her response to food but I feel like I'd probably get bitten if I handled her a lot.

Thats funny. The last 2 I had were males and I was almost afraid to open their container. I deal with and hold Black Widows, but I was afraid of those 2. Very pretty and I'm sure I will get more from my supplier come spring. I sell or use them as trade.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Mine is a female and she is really feisty. I had to move her to another container that her babies can't crawl out of today, and she actually grabbed the tongs (I was using the blunt end to nudge her around gently) and pulled hard enough to move them around. I really wouldn't want to get bitten by her even though it'd probably just be about like a bee-sting.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Mine is a female and she is really feisty. I had to move her to another container that her babies can't crawl out of today, and she actually grabbed the tongs (I was using the blunt end to nudge her around gently) and pulled hard enough to move them around. I really wouldn't want to get bitten by her even though it'd probably just be about like a bee-sting.

WOW, thats crazy. I've never seen one act like that. It has to be because of the babies. They will die to defend them. That is super cool your raising them. It has to be fun. Amazing sight ain't it, all those babies on her.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did just that on another board, one that does not have a very good reputation. It turned into a fist fight !! There are people there that truly think that if it's not what they think, then it's not right and they will tell you that. Even had one of the Mods reply once that they, meaning him and the others, were tired of correcting all the people that knew nothing. Theres a dozen or so that post replies to every question ask, and they are the ones who have and are running off people. On the holding issue, you would not believe some of their replies. They have their egos so far up their +++ it's almost funny. They never touch their Ts, and some actually talk about how they poke and prod them to make it go into a threat pose or strike. They like that, it's the coolest part of owning a T. No, I won't be starting a post like that here. I doubt it would get out of hand since the people here so far have acted like adults, and I'm very sure Martin would put a stop to it long before it would get to a bad point. Lets just say If you want to hold your T, then please do, enjoy it. If you don't, thats your choice, but be adult about it and as I've said before, don't slam others because they want to.
Hello
Like I have said on many occasions,we are all still learning that is my perspective. I will advise give my point of view,and let the owner decide. I believe one has to be objective, warn of the dangers etc giving the good and bad since an informative choice is the best choice. Also,I will add I say this a lot it is my view not a rule just my personal opinion on a subject and I won't just slam a person for no reason I have also said this on another board but I haven't received flack yet haha. We here are a family in my view,whatever we advise etc we just need to remember that some interpret things differently. We need to make learning fun,not a sentence being handed down.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
WOW, thats crazy. I've never seen one act like that. It has to be because of the babies. They will die to defend them. That is super cool your raising them. It has to be fun. Amazing sight ain't it, all those babies on her.

Probably. She was more flighty than aggressive before the babies hatched. It is pretty cool the way the little ones just ride around on her.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I'll throw my opinion out there. If you want to hold your spider, hold it. No hate. If you don't want to then you don't. No hate. If it bites you it bites you. If it doesn't it doesn't. If you are comfortable doing it, DO IT. If you're not DONT.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I'll throw my opinion out there. If you want to hold your spider, hold it. No hate. If you don't want to then you don't. No hate. If it bites you it bites you. If it doesn't it doesn't. If you are comfortable doing it, DO IT. If you're not DONT.
Yes, thats all we can say about it. It's just sooo sad the way some attack those of us that do hold and interact with them. I for one have never said Yes you have to hold your T, but you will hear, NO, never hold your T. Glad you and your Ts enjoy it.

Last edited:

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
my first T was a b,smithi :)
just depends what u like !!! i would say stick with docile spices at first :)

Of course. As we get into keeping Ts we research about ones we are getting, so it gives us an idea of what sort of temperament they have. G. rosea/porteri would be the most talked about docile Ts. There's always a bad apple, but for the most part, very easy to handle. then you can watch how other kinds react to sounds and movements to see if they would mind it. I let them crawl to the top and then offer my hand. Most walk right on and seem fine. I don't push it for several tries. When it gets to the top and does not hesitate at all to crawl on, I know then it's ok. Still have to be aware of whats going on, no sudden loud noise or movement. No gust of wind, just calm slow movements and let both of you enjoy whats going on

HTay

3 Year Member
my first T was a b,smithi :)
just depends what u like !!! i would say stick with docile spices at first :)

I am def. leaning towards a B. smithi. I think they're so pretty!
I also have really been drawn to GBBs.
I'm going to a rep show next month though!

Latest posts