• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding to a collection

HTay

3 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I have had a G. rosea for about 2 months now. It is my first T and I thought I would keep it at that....
Yeah...
So that didn't last long and I am already starting to think about adding a number two.
What did you get as your first and/or second Ts?
What would anyone recommend as a new addition to a newbie?
Here are some pictures of my rosie just for fun.
And no, I don't keep the tank in light like the picture.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Maybe another G rosea or porteri. They do not all act the same, some are kind of temperamental. It would give you two to deal with and get use to how they act. Some of the more colorful ones can be a handful to deal with, but with more experience you will be able to do it. Read up on several kinds. Most are fast, but don't let that scare you off. Any Avic is nice and GBBs are great. Kind of skittish but they are so beautiful.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I got my first T (G. rosea) and within a week I had captured a large H. carolinensis (not a T, I know, but kind of aggressive and very fast, so it was good practice). Then maybe a month after getting the Rosy, I picked up a B. smithi sling from a reptile show. Haven't had any problems. The B. smithi is really calm and easy to deal with.

HTay

3 Year Member
I was thinking about another rose or even a b. smithi. I read a lot about them and I think they are pretty Ts too.
Thank you!

HTay

3 Year Member
Once you've seen one g. rosea you've seen them all.;) If you want another grammostola species try a g. pulchra or a g. pulchripes. Any brachypelma would also make a great second tarantula.

Thank you! The g. pulchripes are pretty too! I'm totally going to be torn between that or a b. smithi.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
well I my first T is a P. Metallica and my second is a GBB. got I third one for my girlfriend but I care for it and the was a LP.

HTay

3 Year Member
well I my first T is a P. Metallica and my second is a GBB. got I third one for my girlfriend but I care for it and the was a LP.

I really like GBBs a lot but I would need to look into them more. Are they difficult to care for?
And forgive me, but what is an LP?

HTay

3 Year Member
So the GBB is fairly similiar to the rosie. I'm pretty interested in one. Did you get yours at reptile shows or did you order them? If you ordered could you recommend a good source? Thank you so much!
The bird eaters get huge! Cool spiders though.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I ordered my rosie through JamiesTarantulas and got my B. smithi from a show. Shows tend to be a bit cheaper I think due to the lack of a shipping cost. I'd probably recommend a show if you can find a vendor you like that's going to be there. (no problems with ordering the T; she arrived nice and healthy, but the show was def. more convenient and a little cheaper)

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I recommend checking out Brachypelma vagans. The love to burrow as slings and sit out in the open all the time once they get a little size to them. Always hungry with a crazy feeding response, and grow very quickly for a brachy. They also look amazing once they get full adult colors.

Attachments

• WP_20141124_002.jpg
    WP_20141124_002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Np, and they are very very cheap as slings which is a bonus. I paid $2.50 each for mine although $5 each is a more average price you'll find.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I had a mature male G. Rosea as my first T and then when he died I got another G. Rosea and then I got a male B. Smithi.. Then a female Avicularia Avicularia.. Then a Avicularia Versicolor sling.. Then an A. Geniculata sling.. Then a female T. Stirmi.. Then a female C. Darlingi.. Then a female juvi B. Smithi.. Then an unsexed B. Sabulosum (in premolt).. Then a female juvi curly hair!! I love my furry beasties.

HTay

3 Year Member
I had a mature male G. Rosea as my first T and then when he died I got another G. Rosea and then I got a male B. Smithi.. Then a female Avicularia Avicularia.. Then a Avicularia Versicolor sling.. Then an A. Geniculata sling.. Then a female T. Stirmi.. Then a female C. Darlingi.. Then a female juvi B. Smithi.. Then an unsexed B. Sabulosum (in premolt).. Then a female juvi curly hair!! I love my furry beasties.

Do you have pictures of your Avic Avic, A. Versi and the T. Stirmi?
It sure sounds like an awesome group!