• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding to a collection

Payden King

3 Year Member
Thanks!! Here's my male B. Smithi. He is the sweetest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

HTay

3 Year Member
I interact with my T too.
I know some people don't think it's appropriate or whatever.
But she/he is just so friendly and I don't think it does any harm. I understand the risks to both me and her but I think I can read her pretty well.
I think it's rad to handle them every so often!

Payden King

3 Year Member
Oh yes. I handle mine lol. My little sisters who are 10 and 7 love it when I get them out and let them hold them :) I have had him since April. He matured out in about June. But yes.. He is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Here's my juvi female.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Payden King

3 Year Member
I've only been collecting for about a year. You'll soon find you can't stop!! I didn't think I'd ever have more than one and now I'm at ten!!

HTay

3 Year Member
I feel like because I already want another one, I'm def. going to end up with a few when I also didn't think I would have more than one.
My friends already poke fun at me for being so interested in them when nobody else I know shares the same interests hah. But I am forcing at least one friend to go to a rep show with me lol.

Payden King

3 Year Member
lol!! I'm the same way. I make all my friends listen when I tell them and have convinced a couple people to hold one haha!! Oh you will have a ball at the reptile shows. I can't even go to them anymore unless I plan on bringing home a T lol!!

HTay

3 Year Member
I have a few that won't go in my room anymore because she's in there.
And I get a kick out of sending people that don't like her snapchats of her randomly lol.
I'm going to a rep show soon! I def plan on getting another T.
I think I'm convinced on a B. smithi. I also really like GBB and A. versicolor but they're arboreal and I don't know why I'm hesitant about them lol.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I interact with my T too.
I know some people don't think it's appropriate or whatever.
But she/he is just so friendly and I don't think it does any harm. I understand the risks to both me and her but I think I can read her pretty well.
I think it's rad to handle them every so often!

Glad to hear you say that.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Oh yes. I handle mine lol. My little sisters who are 10 and 7 love it when I get them out and let them hold them :) I have had him since April. He matured out in about June. But yes.. He is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Here's my juvi female.

Here's my juvi female.

On the board I use to be on, you would be called everything in the book for holding a T.. You would be told never to hold one, they don't like it. These are the same people that brag about poking and prodding a T to make it strike. Glad to see you do what you want and not what others say.

HTay

3 Year Member
I agree Rick.
It's just like training a dog. Or even raising a child.
People do things differently. Whatever they think is best for whatever the circumstance may be.
I think it's less stressful to handle her over pushing her. But I don't know exactly what she's thinking. She seems less stressed because she slowly walks up onto my hand and doesn't scurry as if I were to poke her.
Plus it makes me feel closer to her. Like there's a trust there or something.
I'm all for doing what you want!

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
We all know they don't look at us and think, oh I like this guy, I'm going to crawl in his hand. But, you are so right about how they react when something bangs into their butt. You wouldn't like it either. They see your hand as a non threat, and crawl on. If they don't bolt and run up your arm, and just slowly stroll around, I'd say he was pretty chill at the moment.

Payden King

3 Year Member
Just thought I'd throw this out there.. My B. Sabulosum is a perfect example of the handling situation. She does NOT like to be touched with temperment sticks and doesn't like anyone poking around doing cage maintenance. She will flick hairs like a little machine. BUT I can reach right in and scoop her up and she is perfectly fine. No hairs no threat posture. And that allows me to do anything I need to in her tank without her going skitzo on me. She actually seems to enjoy being held which might seem strange, but she goes berzerk any other time but you can scoop her right up in your hands and she's a little angel.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Just thought I'd throw this out there.. My B. Sabulosum is a perfect example of the handling situation. She does NOT like to be touched with temperment sticks and doesn't like anyone poking around doing cage maintenance. She will flick hairs like a little machine. BUT I can reach right in and scoop her up and she is perfectly fine. No hairs no threat posture. And that allows me to do anything I need to in her tank without her going skitzo on me. She actually seems to enjoy being held which might seem strange, but she goes berzerk any other time but you can scoop her right up in your hands and she's a little angel.

Thats a great thing to hear. Just shows that every T is not the same and you can't believe half what your told or what you read in a book. I was attacked on another board for saying I hold my Ts. I doubt there are 10 people on the whole board that will hold them. Here, I have not seen one person go all crazy about holding one. It's not for everybody, so if you don't want to , don't slam us that do. Thats why I really like this board. Just don't drop your guard. They sometimes do change temperament at and after a molt.

Latest posts