• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would you take a Free one??

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Hello
Something we have to know,all specimens have their origins as wild caught otherwise no tarantula hobby. The old the present and the future, they will be wild caught you might buy a captive bred but where did the parents come from or the grandparents etc. So in the end,no wild collection no tarantula hobby.

So we might not like it,but we fuel the illegal pet trade and wild caught specimen trade. As for tarantulas not having hobby value,imagine no one having g.rosea anymore and all die out what would the price be of the newly introduced yet old and known genus specimen of G.rosea? I'd bet the price of any rare T,we the hobbyists kill the prices of expensive Tarantulas by breeding the specimens to drop till a level anyone can have them flooding the market.
I agree, no wild caught no hobby. What I don't support are tarantulas going directly from the wild to the hobby in general. When a wild caught species ends up in the hands of a capable breeder, the hobby and the species benefit. The hobby gets captive bred offspring, and the need for wild caught of that species decreases. There is no good reason for grammostolas and avicularias to go from the wild to chain pet stores only to be sold by the uneducated to the unaware.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree, no wild caught no hobby. What I don't support are tarantulas going directly from the wild to the hobby in general. When a wild caught species ends up in the hands of a capable breeder, the hobby and the species benefit. The hobby gets captive bred offspring, and the need for wild caught of that species decreases. There is no good reason for grammostolas and avicularias to go from the wild to chain pet stores only to be sold by the uneducated to the unaware.
That I agree with,but that happens due to inexperienced wild caught collectors. They all want the extra $$$,so they collect any available specimen hoping it is a new one. When arriving at store or supplier level,just to find out it is a known species. It is a vicious chain that won't be broken soon,we can just hope someday it will and what adds to it which two tarantulas are given a lot as beginner specimens ? Avicularia Avicularia and G.Roses.

Last edited:

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Like Martin said, every animal in the exotics trade is wc until people can breed either more desirable or cheaper individuals in captivity.

I love my G. rosea, my garters, my ball python, and all my other 'beginner' animals. I get the allure of working with more rare/difficult to keep species, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the more commonly found ones.

I like that a lot.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Rosies don't win or lose. They are wonderful animals, but with the selection of species available in the hobby there are certainly more worthy choices for the tarantula keeper. Grammostola rosea is also one of the most numerous wild caught species in the hobby. I personally don't support the wild caught animal trade.

"there are certainly more worthy choices for the tarantula keeper." The post is not about what is worthy or not in someones mind. It is about would you take a free rose hair, thats all, and you said no. If you have something different to say, please start a new post. It works much better if a post is kept to what it was intended for. If you want to start a post on "worthy choices or wild caught trade, I'm sure you will get some replies.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
"there are certainly more worthy choices for the tarantula keeper." The post is not about what is worthy or not in someones mind. It is about would you take a free rose hair, thats all, and you said no. If you have something different to say, please start a new post. It works much better if a post is kept to what it was intended for. If you want to start a post on "worthy choices or wild caught trade, I'm sure you will get some replies.

Funny you don't have a problem with this off subject reply:

"I think even so due to only having one allocated shelf for my Ts I'm trying to limit it to 1 individual per species (obviously not all sp. lol!), I would probably cave in, take it and love it as much as my other 8.
I think Roseas are a bit like corn snakes. Some (not many) keepers regard them as too common and beneath their experience, if you get what I mean (I don't mean the OP of the above mentioned thread, btw). Their reputation isn't the best neither, for example when I first announced on another forum that I'd just bought one for my first T the first response was to expect long period of fasting and schizophrenic behaviour ranging from aggressiveness to being boring pet rocks. Welcome to the hobby, 'eh, lol?
I'm glad to say that none of it bar the fasting (2 months, so not too bad) has come true so far. My Rosea is neither aggressive (she did throw a tantrum when I put a flowerpot hide in. I found it turned upside down the next morning. She hardly ever uses it), not overly defensive (she has never had a bold spot from flicking hair for example), not shy at all and also one of my most active. I know she could potentially be handled because the guy in the shop used to handle her to show his customers, but I don't see a need. We did "shake hands" once though, when she came to see what I was doing and one of her legs touched my finger (I was refilling her bowl).
Fuzzball79, Monday at 4:54 PM"

Seems like you have a personal issue with me.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well now...this took a turn. It's starting to sound like a "dog person vs. cat person" debate! ;)

Seriously, this shouldn't devolve into an argument that draws a line between "pro rosie" and "anti rosie" keepers. We all love tarantulas, an animal that most find abhorrent, and we need to keep that in mind. :) Although I, personally, love the species, I certainly think that others have a right to not be so keen on it (and many offered valid reasons why they would refuse a free one).

One of the wonderful parts of this hobby is that there are just so many genera and species of tarantulas, that folks are bound to have different favorites and different ones that they'd take for free, especially if space is at a premium. On the other hand, I think it's natural for anyone who keeps a specific species or breed of animal to feel defensive when they hear something negative about it (hence why the rosie lovers bristled a bit at the original post that started all of this). Hell, as an owner of two Pit bull-type dogs, I understand the feeling that you need to defend the animal when someone speaks ill of them. But let's focus on the things about this hobby that we agree on and share, and not ****er about the small things. :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well now...this took a turn. It's starting to sound like a "dog person vs. cat person" debate! ;)

Seriously, this shouldn't devolve into an argument that draws a line between "pro rosie" and "anti rosie" keepers. We all love tarantulas, an animal that most find abhorrent, and we need to keep that in mind. :) Although I, personally, love the species, I certainly think that others have a right to not be so keen on it (and many offered valid reasons why they would refuse a free one).

One of the wonderful parts of this hobby is that there are just so many genera and species of tarantulas, that folks are bound to have different favorites and different ones that they'd take for free, especially if space is at a premium. On the other hand, I think it's natural for anyone who keeps a specific species or breed of animal to feel defensive when they hear something negative about it (hence why the rosie lovers bristled a bit at the original post that started all of this). Hell, as an owner of two Pit bull-type dogs, I understand the feeling that you need to defend the animal when someone speaks ill of them. But let's focus on the things about this hobby that we agree on and share, and not ****er about the small things. :)
I personally think we should look at trying harder to keep topics or original posts in line,so not to stray off from the point of origin. Let me add,I myself am guilty of this at times haha. One gets so exited and enthusiastic, you totally lose your way anyone have a spare GPS for me ?

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I personally think we should look at trying harder to keep topics or original posts in line,so not to stray off from the point of origin. Let me add,I myself am guilty of this at times haha. One gets so exited and enthusiastic, you totally lose your way anyone have a spare GPS for me ?

Your right, but it's funny the quote he used by Fuzzball79 actually did stay on the subject, "I think even so due to only having one allocated shelf for my Ts I'm trying to limit it to 1 individual per species (obviously not all sp. lol!), I would probably cave in, take it and love it as much as my other 8.So he was on subject :) Ok, I'll stop now:confused:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am also involved in arguments due to my views,but that's fine I'm not here for a medal and I am not prone to the sheep mentality where agreement is the best commodity and most acceptable trait.

Damn did it again,back to the rosea which is the centre of this post. I personally do not own one,since I find them too mellow at times and some are prone to not eating for months at a time. I won't buy one,but get one for free ? Hell yeah !

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I am also involved in arguments due to my views,but that's fine I'm not here for a medal and I am not prone to the sheep mentality where agreement is the best commodity and most acceptable trait.

Damn did it again,back to the rosea which is the centre of this post. I personally do not own one,since I find them too mellow at times and some are prone to not eating for months at a time. I won't buy one,but get one for free ? Hell yeah !

:D:D:D:D

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Hi there
The rosea I have is a rescue, and when I first got her she really was a pet rock. She had no personality and had a few legs missing so she didn't move around, her spinnerets where missing and that caused her to take hours to hunt since there was no silk laid down. but now she has the personality of a mountain lion and is very active and dear to my heart. Would I do it again? would I take a free Rosea?
Most definitely YES!

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Hi there
The rosea I have is a rescue, and when I first got her she really was a pet rock. She had no personality and had a few legs missing so she didn't move around, her spinnerets where missing and that caused her to take hours to hunt since there was no silk laid down. but now she has the personality of a mountain lion and is very active and dear to my heart. Would I do it again? would I take a free Rosea?
Most definitely YES!

Thank you. There is NO reason to ever turn down a free tarantula, rose hair or anything else. Not one good reason. You are most likely saving it's life. Take it, then if you don't want it find someone that does. By the looks of this thread there are plenty of people that want it. Saying you would not take a rose hair, just because you don't like them or some other insane reason, to me is very very irresponsible. We are not talking about a dog or a cat or a horse. We are talking about a tiny spider, that does not need to go for walks, does not need to go outside to go to the bathroom, does not eat a huge bag of food. A little guy that will eat a cricket once a week and live in a shoebox just fine. Gosh, wasn't that sweet:rolleyes:

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Thank you. There is NO reason to ever turn down a free tarantula, rose hair or anything else. Not one good reason. You are most likely saving it's life. Take it, then if you don't want it find someone that does. By the looks of this thread there are plenty of people that want it. Saying you would not take a rose hair, just because you don't like them or some other insane reason, to me is very very irresponsible. We are not talking about a dog or a cat or a horse. We are talking about a tiny spider, that does not need to go for walks, does not need to go outside to go to the bathroom, does not eat a huge bag of food. A little guy that will eat a cricket once a week and live in a shoebox just fine. Gosh, wasn't that sweet:rolleyes:

Here's a quote from you earlier on this thread,
"It is about would you take a free rose hair, thats all, and you said no. If you have something different to say, please start a new post. It works much better if a post is kept to what it was intended for."
You sir are a hypocrite. If someone agrees with you, it's okay for them to go off topic by answering more than the yes or no that you asked for. But if they don't agree with you, your panties get in a knot. Please apply your "rules" to respond evenly or pipe down on whether you think someone else's opinion is insane.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would give a good home to any tarantula as long as it wasn't aggressive . Male or female wouldn't bother me.

Sym

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
My main reason for not being willing to take one is I promised myself early into the hobby I wouldn't support the trade of WC rosea. Their native population is being raped by the pet trade. Regardless of the conditions it is in I feel that "rescuing them" is supporting this. There is no way such a slow growing species can keep up with how many are taken each year. Im not going to be surprised when they end up endangered.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yea I would take a free one. I see your reasoning of not supporting the WC trade, but that spider WC or not is doomed to captivity already. Might as well do what you can to improve that life

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I see how buying one supports the trade, but taking one for free wouldn't. Kind of like I hate to support large chain petstores, but I wasn't doing them any favors when I snatched up the ball python they had up for adoption. It was deemed unsuitable for sale, so there's no way they could profit from it at that point. In that same vein, taking some random person's T that they'd have gotten rid of anyway doesn't support wild harvesting.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I see how buying one supports the trade, but taking one for free wouldn't. Kind of like I hate to support large chain petstores, but I wasn't doing them any favors when I snatched up the ball python they had up for adoption. It was deemed unsuitable for sale, so there's no way they could profit from it at that point. In that same vein, taking some random person's T that they'd have gotten rid of anyway doesn't support wild harvesting.
:D;)