• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would you take a Free one??

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
There's a post about a person being offered a free rose hair and he said he had no interest in having it. At least one other person has the same feeling. I'm curious, would you take a free rose hair if it was offered to you? I'll start,,, YES

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If I had the room, absolutely. I could always keep it until I found someone else who was interested and who could give it the proper care. Having seen how many of these things are kept in atrocious conditions, I'd feel better knowing that I was giving it the correct husbandry.

That being said, I can understand that some folks just don't like them, and they are not as "fashionable" as some of the more active or colorful species, so to each his or her own. :) I've kept a wild caught specimen for close to 20 years now, and I'll always have a warm place in my heart for this species (and one in my collection).

Last edited:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think even so due to only having one allocated shelf for my Ts I'm trying to limit it to 1 individual per species (obviously not all sp. lol!), I would probably cave in, take it and love it as much as my other 8.
I think Roseas are a bit like corn snakes. Some (not many) keepers regard them as too common and beneath their experience, if you get what I mean (I don't mean the OP of the above mentioned thread, btw). Their reputation isn't the best neither, for example when I first announced on another forum that I'd just bought one for my first T the first response was to expect long period of fasting and schizophrenic behaviour ranging from aggressiveness to being boring pet rocks. Welcome to the hobby, 'eh, lol?
I'm glad to say that none of it bar the fasting (2 months, so not too bad) has come true so far. My Rosea is neither aggressive (she did throw a tantrum when I put a flowerpot hide in. I found it turned upside down the next morning. She hardly ever uses it), not overly defensive (she has never had a bold spot from flicking hair for example), not shy at all and also one of my most active. I know she could potentially be handled because the guy in the shop used to handle her to show his customers, but I don't see a need. We did "shake hands" once though, when she came to see what I was doing and one of her legs touched my finger (I was refilling her bowl).

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I think even so due to only having one allocated shelf for my Ts I'm trying to limit it to 1 individual per species (obviously not all sp. lol!), I would probably cave in, take it and love it as much as my other 8.
I think Roseas are a bit like corn snakes. Some (not many) keepers regard them as too common and beneath their experience, if you get what I mean (I don't mean the OP of the above mentioned thread, btw). Their reputation isn't the best neither, for example when I first announced on another forum that I'd just bought one for my first T the first response was to expect long period of fasting and schizophrenic behaviour ranging from aggressiveness to being boring pet rocks. Welcome to the hobby, 'eh, lol?
I'm glad to say that none of it bar the fasting (2 months, so not too bad) has come true so far. My Rosea is neither aggressive (she did throw a tantrum when I put a flowerpot hide in. I found it turned upside down the next morning. She hardly ever uses it), not overly defensive (she has never had a bold spot from flicking hair for example), not shy at all and also one of my most active. I know she could potentially be handled because the guy in the shop used to handle her to show his customers, but I don't see a need. We did "shake hands" once though, when she came to see what I was doing and one of her legs touched my finger (I was refilling her bowl).

I know exactly what you mean, by what you were told, and I can take one guess as to what board that was :) Mine are some of the most active and fun to watch. You are so right about the reason some knock them " beneath their experience". Have you noticed how easy it is to spot those people :)

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
If I had the room, absolutely. I could always keep it until I found someone else who was interested and who could give it the proper care. Having seen how many of these things are kept in atrocious conditions, I'd feel better knowing that I was giving it the correct husbandry.

That being said, I can understand that some folks just don't like them, and they are not as "fashionable" as some of the more active or colorful species, so to each his or her own. :) I've kept a wild caught specimen for close to 20 years now, and I'll always have a warm place in my heart for this species (and one in my collection).

Thats a good reason for taking one, glad to see it. I would always take a "free" one, because it's free!! And because I figure if it is being offered free whoever has it is not going to care for it. Taking it could be saving it's life.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats a good reason for taking one, glad to see it. I would always take a "free" one, because it's free!! And because I figure if it is being offered free whoever has it is not going to care for it. Taking it could be saving it's life.

Agreed! I have three rescue dogs, so I guess it's just in my nature to snatch up a pet that someone else either doesn't want or can't care for. :)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
rick
its not a no !!! if its a spices u would like to add to your colletion, then a free T would be awsome. :)
i would take a free T if i could get one, but only if its a spices i wanted in the first place.

ps i will be adding rose hairs to my collection once i get a new rack & have more room.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nope. Room is becoming a premium and reserving any spare space I can squeeze into more exotic species. Sorry Rose Hair lovers :(.

Now if space was not a premium, than YES!!! I would take two :T:

Frances Pauli

3 Year Member
I can't imagine saying no to any tarantula, to be honest. And if space was an issue, then I'd definitely foster it/keep it thriving until I found a home. Tarantulas are harder to "place" with someone who actually knows what they're doing and I'd be afraid the poor thing would get killed, released or homed poorly if I didn't take it.
I have two roseas at the moment, one a "rescue" and I love them both. Thankfully space isn't a problem and one more spider isn't a big difference at this point.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Ok, 7 yes and we know who the 2 no are.... Rosies still win,
Rosies don't win or lose. They are wonderful animals, but with the selection of species available in the hobby there are certainly more worthy choices for the tarantula keeper. Grammostola rosea is also one of the most numerous wild caught species in the hobby. I personally don't support the wild caught animal trade.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rosies don't win or lose. They are wonderful animals, but with the selection of species available in the hobby there are certainly more worthy choices for the tarantula keeper. Grammostola rosea is also one of the most numerous wild caught species in the hobby. I personally don't support the wild caught animal trade.
Hello
Something we have to know,all specimens have their origins as wild caught otherwise no tarantula hobby. The old the present and the future, they will be wild caught you might buy a captive bred but where did the parents come from or the grandparents etc. So in the end,no wild collection no tarantula hobby.

So we might not like it,but we fuel the illegal pet trade and wild caught specimen trade. As for tarantulas not having hobby value,imagine no one having g.rosea anymore and all die out what would the price be of the newly introduced yet old and known genus specimen of G.rosea? I'd bet the price of any rare T,we the hobbyists kill the prices of expensive Tarantulas by breeding the specimens to drop till a level anyone can have them flooding the market.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Like Martin said, every animal in the exotics trade is wc until people can breed either more desirable or cheaper individuals in captivity.

I love my G. rosea, my garters, my ball python, and all my other 'beginner' animals. I get the allure of working with more rare/difficult to keep species, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the more commonly found ones.