• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What breed would you recommend?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is nice. Boxers are great with kids and very protective....

upload_2019-6-8_12-18-56.jpeg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any good names? Got three in mind already, just looking for more ideas.

Rahhh1983

3 Year Member
Im so sorry for your loss. :( Here is my baby at about a year old. I Was told he's American bulldog/pitbull. He's basically
20170801_181836.jpg
our fourth child and we LOVE him. I want to send out for a DNA test. Anyway Tortoise Tom had some great points. We have been to a few doggy dermatologists for his allergies with not a whole lot of luck. Apparently these breeds have really sensitive skin/allergies. We are researching before getting another rescue. I cant wait for your pics!!!!! Good luck!!!!!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im so sorry for your loss. :( Here is my baby at about a year old. I Was told he's American bulldog/pitbull. He's basically View attachment 38215 our fourth child and we LOVE him. I want to send out for a DNA test. Anyway Tortoise Tom had some great points. We have been to a few doggy dermatologists for his allergies with not a whole lot of luck. Apparently these breeds have really sensitive skin/allergies. We are researching before getting another rescue. I cant wait for your pics!!!!! Good luck!!!!!
Great picture! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im so sorry for your loss. :( Here is my baby at about a year old. I Was told he's American bulldog/pitbull. He's basically View attachment 38215 our fourth child and we LOVE him. I want to send out for a DNA test. Anyway Tortoise Tom had some great points. We have been to a few doggy dermatologists for his allergies with not a whole lot of luck. Apparently these breeds have really sensitive skin/allergies. We are researching before getting another rescue. I cant wait for your pics!!!!! Good luck!!!!!
White bulldogs of any breed tend to have a certain percentage of dogs with skin issues. Also hearing loss/deafness. Great looking dog.

barefoot

What do you want to do with the dog? What do you want the dog to do? Is training a hobby of yours? If not, will it become one?

I'm a professional dog trainer. I ask the above because many people buy a dog based on looks or misconceptions about what the dog will be like. Remember that all of these dogs were bred to "do" something. If you have sheep to tend, get a border collie. If you want to hunt hogs, or people, then an American bull dog would be great for you. Want a dog meant to sit on your lap and attack people who come toward you? Welcome to a chihuahua.

Consider what the breed was created and bred to do. Then consider how much of your time you want to devote to training your new dog on a daily basis. All require some training, but some, like a hound, will require a lot.

Shih Tzus are fantastic pets. They require very little training, are usually social and friendly, and tend to potty train themselves very easily. I have two that sleep at the foot of my bed every night. I'm afraid that if you go from 12 wonderful years with a shih tzu to a chihuahuahua or basset hound, you might find yourself frustrated and disappointed.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Does anyone own sealed brindle boxers (looks black) or white boxers? Anything unique about them? I know 18% of white boxers are born deaf. The sealed coloration dosen't seem all that common.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Does anyone own sealed brindle boxers (looks black) or white boxers? Anything unique about them? I know 18% of white boxers are born deaf. The sealed coloration dosen't seem all that common.
I had white boxer and reverse brindle all my life. Never had any problems with white ones. My “black” boxers are doing very well also and seeing the vet only for routine check ups. I guess I am lucky!
upload_2019-6-21_18-50-44.jpeg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had white boxer and reverse brindle all my life. Never had any problems with white ones. My “black” boxers are doing very well also and seeing the vet only for routine check ups. I guess I am lucky!
View attachment 38605
I found some that will be ready in two weeks and it's a litter of eight, 4 of them are sealed brindle (looks black).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hell, any boxer pup will make a great dog. Its a fantastic sp, Boxers are unique, like a lot of working breeds. I find them very intelligent, sometimes this makes them skittish, sometimes defensive. They bond very strongly to their family, like many bulldog types, are very social, and they need to run. They're the intelligent athletes of bulldogs. They usually have an agreeable demeanor, but can be protective. If they go beast mode, a big powerful boxer can do serious damage. Ive seen it..I had a guy come to jail years ago that had been to the hospital for two days first..he hit his ex girlfriend with her boxer in the room. He looked like the survivor of a serial killer/rapist. Lmfao. What do you want to bet he never bothered her again?