• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What breed would you recommend?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As some of you know, my shih tzu of 12 years passed away this past October, and I have been looking to get another dog.

So far I have the opportunity to get any of the following:

American Bully (Classic)
American Bully (exotic)
Basset Hound
Maltipoo

I am also looking into the following:

Chihuahua
Yorkie
Pug
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Portugese water dog
Goldendoodle
Bull terrier

Any other recommendations for a good breed I should look into?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love dogs. Since I grew up with a boxer and always had at least two...guess what I would suggest?

upload_2019-5-18_13-2-13.jpeg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As some of you know, my shih tzu of 12 years passed away this past October, and I have been looking to get another dog.

So far I have the opportunity to get any of the following:

American Bully (Classic)
American Bully (exotic)
Basset Hound
Maltipoo

I am also looking into the following:

Chihuahua
Yorkie
Pug
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Portugese water dog
Goldendoodle
Bull terrier

Any other recommendations for a good breed I should look into?
sorry to hear about the loss of your shih Tzu.....
I'm with @menavodi on this one I love boxers and bull terriers but its personal choice as to what suits your lifestyle and what you like the look of:)
also take into consideration which health problems are common within each breed before you decide...

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
What do you want to do with the dog? What do you want the dog to do? Is training a hobby of yours? If not, will it become one?

I'm a professional dog trainer. I ask the above because many people buy a dog based on looks or misconceptions about what the dog will be like. Remember that all of these dogs were bred to "do" something. If you have sheep to tend, get a border collie. If you want to hunt hogs, or people, then an American bull dog would be great for you. Want a dog meant to sit on your lap and attack people who come toward you? Welcome to a chihuahua.

Consider what the breed was created and bred to do. Then consider how much of your time you want to devote to training your new dog on a daily basis. All require some training, but some, like a hound, will require a lot.

Shih Tzus are fantastic pets. They require very little training, are usually social and friendly, and tend to potty train themselves very easily. I have two that sleep at the foot of my bed every night. I'm afraid that if you go from 12 wonderful years with a shih tzu to a chihuahuahua or basset hound, you might find yourself frustrated and disappointed.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm more of a cat person. I like cats. You should get a cat, or 2, or 4 . Get loads of cats. Cats everywhere. Cats cats cats.

I think with pets it's hard not to be bias towards certain breeds. I've had 2 German Shepards a border collie and a standard collie. Best dog of them was a German Shepard. Biggest arsehole was the other German Shepard.(still love the ****head btw. Just accepting that he's a bellend) also know a lot of people with Staffies and they are sweet dogs. Can't go wrong with a collie thou. Or a cat.
Or 2

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually grew up with Rottweilers and boxers and a Chinese Shar-pei (who if I may add was amazing as a guard dog, but had a lot of behavior issues)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you buy a bull terrier, you'll never be satisfied with anything else. Have you considered a Cane Corso? I'm interested in those, currently. But..they aint bull terriers..I feel like I'm fixing to cry ffs
Actually yes, forgot about those. Someone nearby has a litter.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually yes, forgot about those. Someone nearby has a litter.
Its funny, while reading this at work, a friend of mine came to give me a bbq plate and had her two pocket bullies in her truck. Wanted to take a pic but I havent replaced my phone yet. ****ty camera. Every American bully I ever met has been a sweetheart as far as temperament. I may get one if the opportunity arises.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its funny, while reading this at work, a friend of mine came to give me a bbq plate and had her two pocket bullies in her truck. Wanted to take a pic but I havent replaced my phone yet. ****ty camera. Every American bully I ever met has been a sweetheart as far as temperament. I may get one if the opportunity arises.
I just inquired about two gorgeous bully puppies both with blue eyes.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Found some staffy puppies at the shelter as well as a rottweiler/German shepherd mix. Tempted to adopt two of them.

Latest posts