• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Transition to Old World T’s - any advice?

jas97

Hi! I am making the leap and getting my first old world t (c sp. hati hati) after keeping new worlds for years. Any tips/tricks for the transition to old worlds?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Keep your fingers away :)
As they do not have urticating hairs to dust at you, they often tend to be a little bit more protective of their space but then again it depends on the species and individuals as well. For the rest I trust you'll be just fine. P.S: "hati hati" literally means watch out or danger danger :D

jas97

Keep your fingers away :)
As they do not have urticating hairs to dust at you, they often tend to be a little bit more protective of their space but then again it depends on the species and individuals as well. For the rest I trust you'll be just fine. P.S: "hati hati" literally means watch out or danger danger :D
Thank you! Oh yeah she’s a feisty little thing- arrived about an hour ago and has spent the entire time threat posing at me bless her. I’ll get an extra long pair of tongs I think :D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you have experience with new worlds and you know what you should and shouldn't do you will be fine:)
Respect the T and she will respect you. I apply this to all Ts new world or old world.
+1 for long tongs (metal) and contemplated, conscious interactions - no leaving the cage open to go get something

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My learning experience was with a Cyriopagopus albostriatus using either long tongs or a paint brush. As I gently & slowly tried to persuade her from postal container to new home, she went from calm & relaxed to full on attack mode in a millisecond. There was no warning, no defensive posture. She just flew up the tweezers/brush at lightning speed & attempted to bite me. Fortunately she missed.

Not all T's are defensive, some are just plain aggressive & give no warning of the impending attack. Oh & I use long bamboo tweezers, I do have metal ones, but I prefer something softer, warmer, than metal.

timc

3 Year Member
Don’t open the enclosure without a game plan. Literally, just go in to do what you need to do and don’t be in the position of “oh yeah I meant to...” with the lid open: Been there, done that, learned fast. Also, catch cups. Plural. Don’t be caught without one. Lastly, (one of the best bits of advice i’ve ever received) depending on the species, doing rehouses in cooler temperatures can make a difference. Not too cold, but a lower temperature will slow some down without hurting them. Good luck!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feeling now that we might start scaring you and make you want to change your mind... I hope not as they are after all only gentle souls that will most of a time want to give you high-fives or a big hug ;)
A094281B-B76F-4E8C-B411-99366DE708D7.jpeg

Latest posts