• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The case of the disappearing sling...

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Have my OBT slings for 2 weeks now. The runt of the three slings disappeared inside its little cup since last Thursday. I assumed it was busy molting. Today (Tuesday), I still can't find it in the cup. Most of the enclosure is this giant ball of web and dirt. I assumed it's in that ball somewhere since I can't see it anywhere else. The cup has a screw in lid and I had been very careful opening and closing it...so it should not have escaped...in theory. I'm tempted to tease apart the ball of dirt and see if it's hiding in there. But if it's molting, would that harm the sling? How long should I wait before tearing open the webbing to find it? What if it suffocate itself with it's own webbing?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Leave it alone. It will take care of itself. And if it did get out, the best you can do is keep your eyes peeled.

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Just putting it out there...
Missing Tarantula Report:
Full name: Atropos Pterinochilus Murinus
Nickname: Atropos the Runt, Atropos the OBT, Pterror
Primary language: Kicking and biting
Home address: Angola, Southern Africa
Race: P. murinus
Gender: Ambiguous (I let the tarantula choose when it grows up :p)
Length: 1"
Weight: Ambiguous (Yeah, like you can weight an OBT o_O)
Eyes color: Beady black
Hair color: Brown and yellow highlights
Clothing last seen with: Brown top and yellow bottom.
Activity last seen doing: Preparing a dinner of dubia tartare using venom as the liquifier.

Last edited:

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive shown This Report to My t's, They Are emailing it to there friends and family. He Will probably emerge from his Web/ball after causing a world wide alert.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They Have been known to turn up in crates of fruit here So as long as he has Not gone strawberry picking You should be ok :)
Have You checked If he has taken his passport ?

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
LOL. Fresh strawberries!!! Buy some strawberries and get an OBT for free!!! o_O
How dare that ungrateful bugger run away from home! :mad: He'll come crawling back in a few days, begging to get back into his home. It's a rough world out there for a tarantula. ;)
Actually he crawled out of hiding just now. Didn't look any bigger... maybe he just needed sometime to himself. I'm a newbie at keeping tarantula and get worried over nothing.:oops:

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know, they make florescent food dye powders that glow in the dark with black light.....I buy it at a local supply place. I do a lot of baking on the side, and neon colors have been really popular the past couple years.

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
I work in a chem lab, I can make extra strong dye that will last through multiple molts...if the sling survive that long...since the dye would be radioactive :D

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Yes!!!! He emerged again today and he is a lot darker. His legs are all black instead of the usual brown. He is gonna molt. Yay!!! Maybe he is tired of being the runt. Can't wait. I'm gonna moisten his substrate just to be safe. I know OBT are quite hardy but I'm still a bit scare. It's a dangerous rite of passage.

laura916

3 Year Member
Just putting it out there...
Missing Tarantula Report:
Full name: Atropos Pterinochilus Murinus
Nickname: Atropos the Runt, Atropos the OBT, Pterror
Primary language: Kicking and biting
Home address: Angola, Southern Africa
Race: P. murinus
Gender: Ambiguous (I let the tarantula choose when it grows up :p)
Length: 1"
Weight: Ambiguous (Yeah, like you can weight an OBT o_O)
Eyes color: Beady black
Hair color: Brown and yellow highlights
Clothing last seen with: Brown top and yellow bottom.
Activity last seen doing: Preparing a dinner of dubia tartare using venom as the liquifier.
Lmao.. love this!

Latest posts