• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Blue, my A. seemanni BCF molted yesterday. Or at least pushed his molt out.
20170318_134916.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my son's P. sp. machala molted yesterday also. Hiding in the burrow with the molt so no pics yet.

Got a bunch in premolt also -
  • Savage - A. genic
  • Pantera - G. rosea #2
  • Cheech - B. smithi #2
  • Spaz - P. sazmai
  • Alicia - PZB
  • Moe - B. albo
  • Astrid - A. chalcodes
  • Scooter - B. smithi #1

Kole G

3 Year Member
So I'm not sure my avic sling is dead or molting but hasn't eaten for a week and is motionless in its tube Web. I'm hoping if it is molting I can watch it happen because I have yet to catch one in the process.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kole G

3 Year Member
No. It looked that way this morning but not it's moved them and changed positions. I was worried because when I tipped the container it just flopped over and didn't move. Wasn't holding the Web. But seems like it's legs have changed position now

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No. It looked that way this morning but not it's moved them and changed positions. I was worried because when I tipped the container it just flopped over and didn't move. Wasn't holding the Web. But seems like it's legs have changed position now

Pictures will help

Kole G

3 Year Member
58ed4e1b1e913c0dd34d77d996a6b14e.jpg
7303b1b4d86ccca241f3d7e199c07629.jpg
it's been 3 days no movement, ended up checking if it had died got it out of the enclosure but it's not dried out but still no oticeable movement. I've placed it back in the enclosure. What do you think?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
When in your hand, didn't it move at all?

Check the jonction between the upper carapace (cephalothorax) and the underside (where the legs are): if it tried to molt, you should notice like a small break as if the carapace began to split but without success. If you see this, then it probably died when trying to molt.

I guess you cannot take a good close up pictures of the area I'm talking about?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Kole G

3 Year Member
I cannot take close ups with my phone and have no time to mess around with my nikon lol. I would think if it was dead it would be stiff yes? It is still limber and it's legs haven't curled

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cannot take close ups with my phone and have no time to mess around with my nikon lol. I would think if it was dead it would be stiff yes? It is still limber and it's legs haven't curled

i'd say it's dead if it hasn't moved at all in 3 days and doesn't respond at all to you. If it were me i'd put it in the freezer a few hours to end it's suffering if it's still alive and bury it or whatever you do with them.

Kole G

3 Year Member
i'd say it's dead if it hasn't moved at all in 3 days and doesn't respond at all to you. If it were me i'd put it in the freezer a few hours to end it's suffering if it's still alive and bury it or whatever you do with them.
I want to be sure before I do that. I blew on it and it looks liked it tried to move. I hope it's not dead. I have 4 others that are smaller and that would really suck. I'll have to get a larger one this weekend at the reptile expo...

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
What you could maybe try is to put her on her back - molting position. Then increase moisture around (pouring water in the substrate) and put one or two drops of water on her mouth. Then you put the enclosure in the warmest and darkest place of your house (laundry room?). Then you leave it very quiet. If it's trying to molt, it might help.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
DSCF9575 (2).JPG

Pagan, my Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, moulted yesterday. You can just see its legs down its burrow.

Last edited:

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
IMG_20170324_080714.jpg
IMG_20170324_080744.jpg

As I left for work last night I did my nightly check on my lovelies and found my N. Chromatus on her back. Came home this morning and my my so beautiful! Wish I had gotten a picture of her on her back but didn't want to disturb the enclosure while she was in such a state haha. She put in quite a bit of size. I'm so amazed at how fast this species grows!!.

Also, male or female? I can't decide if I see the Pouch or not! I honestly don't see it so I'm thinking Vivian is actually a Victor haha.

IMG_20170324_075040.jpg
IMG_20170324_074840.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont have a chromatus (though I do want one) but I see no idications its a male. I'd say female, though at that size I'd expect some kind of development..but there's no indication of epiandral fusilae. Its easier to eliminate what its not, sometimes. I see a female, immature. Not 100% though, I've got no experience with the species.