• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
Not usually and I've only had this one a couple of weeks but looking at how much it's grown with this moult I think I might have to consider moving it to a bigger container.
Yay, u should take pics of the rehouse! Or maybe even a video *hint hint* he he he I love watching the rehouse videos from the hobbyists on YouTube. Do u have a YouTube ennie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finally molt with pics.

Flash, my GBB, molted 5/17
20170519_164456.jpg

And Zeb, my A. seemanni, molted probably 4 days ago, 5/15, the molt looks dried out stuffed at the back of the burrow.
20170519_164533.jpg

Calico

3 Year Member
What do I look for as a possible premolt? As we've only had our first one for a little over 2 weeks and still a little nervous, we have set it up in the garage (man cave). I set up a camera so I could watch him at night. There has been little to no activity, he never leaves his log house. The other night I was watching him and he was all over his tank. Up the walls, hanging on the top. This went on for a few hours. The next morning, he had dug a burrow under his water dish and hasn't been out since. His dish is full of soil but I don't want to disturb it to put more water in it. Is this a possible premolt? We fed him one cricket and he must have ate it as it's gone. I can't tell if there is a web in the burrow. What do I need to do to make sure he will be ok? Humidity, feeding, water, etc? We are going to bring him into the house as with the hot weather we've been having it is really hot in the garage. Thanks for any info!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Normally their butt will darken and they will begin to refuse food during premoult. Some Ts will hide away for months so I wouldn't worry about that. If he's filled his bowl and burrowed under it the easiest solution is to give him another bowl if there is room, I've had 3-4 bowls in T containers before because the T kept burying it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What do I look for as a possible premolt? As we've only had our first one for a little over 2 weeks and still a little nervous, we have set it up in the garage (man cave). I set up a camera so I could watch him at night. There has been little to no activity, he never leaves his log house. The other night I was watching him and he was all over his tank. Up the walls, hanging on the top. This went on for a few hours. The next morning, he had dug a burrow under his water dish and hasn't been out since. His dish is full of soil but I don't want to disturb it to put more water in it. Is this a possible premolt? We fed him one cricket and he must have ate it as it's gone. I can't tell if there is a web in the burrow. What do I need to do to make sure he will be ok? Humidity, feeding, water, etc? We are going to bring him into the house as with the hot weather we've been having it is really hot in the garage. Thanks for any info!
what species and size is it? that sounds normal for some slings.

Adraps11

3 Year Member
I'm worried about my G. Pulchripes. She's spun the web mat down for a few days, rested all day yesterday, and for most of today has been propped up against the side of the plastic enclosure. I am hoping she's just resting, before flipping over to molt. As far as I can tell she hasn't split open the carapace yet, nor does it seem like she's trying or struggling to do so. That would be bad! They always do this to me everytime! What is cool is that she molted on May 25th of last year! *fingers crossed*

MantisRCool

3 Year Member
My P. Ornata just molted today, I got it a week ago as one of 2 of my first tarantulas ever, and the guy said it molted, so I was a bit worried cause it wasn't eating. Morning I saw it poking out of its hideout and in the afternoon I saw sometthing crumpled on the substrate and thougt it's dead. But then I saw the spider is still in the hole and its just the skin :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 12

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My P. Ornata just molted today, I got it a week ago as one of 2 of my first tarantulas ever, and the guy said it molted, so I was a bit worried cause it wasn't eating. Morning I saw it poking out of its hideout and in the afternoon I saw sometthing crumpled on the substrate and thougt it's dead. But then I saw the spider is still in the hole and its just the skin :)

Congrats on your first moult. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
few molts over the weekend i found last night while feeding.

G. pulchra "Satin"
N. coloratovilosus "Duke"
B. emilia "Emilia"
B. albiceps "Thug"

Maybe even more as i'm feeding my son's tonight :)

MantisRCool

3 Year Member
Hello, update on my molts :) my P. ornata molted again, starting to look real pretty, but I'm gonna have to move her to a bigger appartment I think. Also my Nhandu molted, she's pretty big now :) and my newest tarantula P. rufilata is hidden inside its cork tube, so I hope it will come out bigger and is not dead. It used to be out often before, now it blocked the entrance and doesm't come out at all.

jackys

3 Year Member
So my G. porteri is eating again after molting 11 days ago. That was super exciting because it was the first molt I'd ever seen (I'm new at this). Now it looks like my little B. hamorii is about to molt too!

The B. hamorii is something like 2.5-3" DLS. The dealer (Jamie's Tarantulas) told me that she last molted in May or June. She had a couple pale bald spots on her abdomen, and these recently turned black. Her abdomen is also getting quite plump, but I'm not sure if it's "molting soon" plump or "OMG ABOUT TO BURST" plump.

With my G. porteri, I offered food once a week and removed uneaten food after 24 hours, and it worked out fine. However, it did stress me out a bit, because I kept worrying that she would molt in the 24 hours between offering food and removing it. Now I'm worrying about that with my B. hamorii, too.

...Which brings me to my extremely noobish question. I've heard that some T's will eat up to the day before a molt, but is there any benefit to it? I know they can go weeks or even months without eating, so I'm considering whether I should just stop offering food until after the molt (+ 1 week hardening time).

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 27580 had an unexpected moult that has put a big smile on my face.
My H.Pulchripes ^^^ had a bad moult and lost 3 limbs and a pedi, was like this for ages... I checked on it a few days ago and it looked terrible but the abdomen was plump, still thought it was gonna die..
Good to see it pulled through

Latest posts