• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some tips in case you get bitten

Noodlelove

I like most of it. And I'm not be facetious, but 3 and 5 to seek medical help? In all my days I can't recall anyone going to the hospital for a tarantula bite. Almost 100% of people that get bit run to the internet to tell about it, or they are already on You of Tube streaming the incident while it happens. Lol

Maybe 20 years ago I might have read something about someone going to the hospital, but if I even remember it right, all they got was a Grape Apple Pie band-aid and a stern " Dont do it again".

Other than that I think you summed it up well. Good job.
As somebody with allergic reactions to almost everything I go to the hospital over things like aspirin which is ridiculous but that's my overreactive immune system for you. And I mean not just hives, I'm talking tongue swelling up and trouble talking. The problem is is that some people with allergic reactions it quickly goes to fatal. It's not really the spider it's our stupid immune systems that overreact to everything.

Noodlelove

All excellent points.
I think that an EpiPen, an antihistamine and a follow-up protocol is very responsibly wise. A card with the specific puffer's toxin and your medical references is beyond what most keepers would have on hand just in case of the worst case scenario. This would not only save time but also may lead the ER dr. on staff at any given time some direction..... Your direction as to what your desires are. Having all of that in writing is especially helpful when under stress and trauma, perhaps unconscious.
If I could add that you may find a veterinarian who is on staff at a large zoo/aquarium (s). He may provide practical advice that exceeds any hospital physician. If a human MD would agree ahead of time to be your advocate in a hypothetical future emergency, his contact info can be added along with the veterinarian. Detailed instructions would be your choice rather than a newbie at the hospital.....who by chance may or may not find the best treatment.

My first ER experience was that of a college student practicing stitches on my open scalp. I think that they should start sewing on fabrics, leather and pickled pigs feet before children. Everything else is like that too. Since then I've seen some very good and too much extreme poor care. Some have been injuries and death of patients from physician chosen drug therapies.

As to rattlesnakes, I no longer keep snakes. I used to catch Timber rattlers and Eastern US Copperheads, etc. for wildlife education in my part of the US.
It provided up close identification to communities of what was present, how to deal with safety issues in the wild, etc.
My collection contained cobras and African pit vipers as far as hot snakes.
My daughter is an emergency room nurse and she keeps telling me I need to get an EpiPen and every time I go to the doctor I forget to ask for one and I really do need one. And not just for the t's. They're the least of my problem. So annoying situations. but I'd Rather have an overactive immune system than none at all.

Tomb Spider

I hope it is not too far off topic.
Would help work gloves e.g. nitrile or latex gloves (especially more "stitch resistant") from beeing bitten? (respectively safety gloves against knife stitches)
Would the spiders chelicerae be to thin and strong to be stopped by the nitril layer and the fabric?

Blackdog

Would help work gloves e.g. nitrile or latex gloves (especially more "stitch resistant") from beeing bitten? (respectively safety gloves against knife stitches)
Would the spiders chelicerae be to thin and strong to be stopped by the nitril layer and the fabric?
Very unlikely as they are very pointy. Years ago I had a cat bite through actual "Bite Gloves" which sadly are more for dogs. It was due to the pointy fangs it had

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
My daughter is an emergency room nurse and she keeps telling me I need to get an EpiPen and every time I go to the doctor I forget to ask for one and I really do need one. And not just for the t's. They're the least of my problem. So annoying situations. but I'd Rather have an overactive immune system than none at all.
Do you have hair kicking Ts and if so have you ever had a reaction?

Noodlelove

Do you have hair kicking Ts and if so have you ever had a reaction?
That's a great question. Both species are hair flicking but still little kids. I'm positive I got a hair in my palm from Tliltocatl albopilosus. I did not have much of a reaction to a single hair. But I sure felt it. I believe having an epi pen would be wise for lots of other things I might react to. Not really the octopods. I've reacted poorly to Meds, foods, chemicals. Having had anaphylaxis come on is terrible.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Octopods? Tarantulas of the sea? (but only much smarter and a totally different animal)

Noodlelove

I heard hot water (heat) helps as there are sting bite pain relief sticks...
guess you'd alredy known this.
Oh I didn't know that at all. So thank you for the information. I'm really new at this I just pulled the little hair out of my palm. It wasn't too bad I didn't have a big reaction but I have to admit I felt it really it hurt. Those little things have some fine protectors on them

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When it comes to hairs, I heard that using duct tape will rip them babies out pretty well. I've kept it in my mind just in case. I'm pretty sure I've gotten haired by handling old substrate sans gloves LOL. All I got was itchy, rinsed my hand and was better for the most part.

Noodlelove

When it comes to hairs, I heard that using duct tape will rip them babies out pretty well. I've kept it in my mind just in case. I'm pretty sure I've gotten haired by handling old substrate sans gloves LOL. All I got was itchy, rinsed my hand and was better for the most part.
I'm pretty sure the substrate was where I got the little hair that I got in my palm. We all shed :cool:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Their fangs will punch though leather gloves. A 9-10" Poecilotheria ornata bite clean through my hand with one fang and dislocated my pinky finger with the other.

Personally I wouldn't want to use any puncture resistant gloves either due to damaging my spiders fangs. I'd rather take a bite.