• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Post-moult GBB isn't eating, over 21 days later?

slaygerbomb

Please excuse me as I'm still fairly new to the hobby, and this is my first tarantula. It's a juvenile GBB of undetermined sex.

I've tried feeding it once a week post-moult, but so far - it has expressed no interest, with the exception of semi-grabbing a roach. I've also tried feeding it crickets.

I know not eating is usually not a concern - and it's likely nothing. But my problem is - it's been so inactive recently? Prior to moulting, it spent a lot of time webbing and hanging out in a hammock off the substrate. But since moulting - it's just sitting on the side of the tank by the heat pad, not moving. There is always a full water dish - and it's clear it's drinking because i'm re-filling it at least every two days.

I've been told, and from my own research, that GBB require little humidity so I've avoided spraying the enclosure.

Thanks !

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome.
I'm new to the hobby as well, but from my positive interactions on this forum I have learned that the expert advice givers find photos super helpful.
Taking a couple of minutes to introduce yourself definitely can't hurt either ;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You said heat pad. That's the problem.
Your tarantula is obsessed with warmth. Turn off the heat pad and it'll likely return to normal behavior.

If you are comfortable in a t-shirt your tarantula will probably be comfortable too. You're better off raising the heat in the area where the enclosure is than trying to heat the enclosure directly.

Welcome to the hobby and forum.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, pictures please if you can/want to. That could help a lot.

Octanejunkie is right about tarantulas and heat. I have used heating pads attached to glass panels near their enclosures as well as heating cables around the enclosures and they definitely like to bask. For that reason I am looking at other heating methods in the tight cramped area I keep them in.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Matt Damon Gets Older 21012022064940.jpg

arachbiodude

If they don't eat and their care conditions are met, then that is their problem. I have Vietnamese tiger tarantula and Curly hair that never seem to eat. I put roaches and crickets in cage. Superworms turn to beetles and time ticks away.