• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria picture thread

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Pokies in general tend to flee rather than stand their ground.
They are fast and as they are an old world genus, their venom tends to be nasty, so best not to get bitten. :)

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Ceratogyrus, those P.rufilata 2nd instars are massive. I've only got the P. Regalis recently, but will definitely expand my Pokie collection in the near future.

Here she is:

20140323_205005.jpg

Poec54

3 Year Member
At what age/size can sex be determined? I have no clue what to look for

You can vent sex Poecs pretty accurately at around 2". Males are obvious. Juvenile ornata males fade the fastest of any Poec. Dorsally they get more brown, the folium is black, and the carapace loses the two black stripes and becomes mostly one color. Males still have vivid contrast ventrally.

Young female ornata develop more contrast dorsally & their folium lightens. BTW, ornata have the worst reputation in group cages of any Poec. They can start cannibalizing at 2nd instar. Surprising, since the closely-related rufilata is one of the better ones.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
My P.metalica after having 2 legs amputated after a bad molt, she is fine and eating again after a few days.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421254293750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421254293750.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My P. Met sling molted a couple of days ago. As you can tell it's huge.... not:
IMG_6586_zpsbd5a2c69.jpg

It molted lightning fast. I had checked on it and it was webbing bottoms up, about 30 minutes later I checked again and noticed a few more legs in the web than there should be. I knew it was ready to molt, but the speed of the process was surprising.

The little guy/girl had its first post molt meal today. This is it hunting:
IMG_6592_zpsadac7c65.jpg

Latest posts