• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New - Want to buy a Tarantula in spite.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Easy? Sure, once you get your moisture/ temp /ventilation correct, it will be easy. How often do you soak the substrate though? You don't want it too wet in there, you'll kill your Theraphosa with mold or mites. So you have to pay attention to ventilation, and how moist the substrate is, and whether it's too much or too little...because the spider needs to have good molting/living conditions. If you're using a heat mat you have to tape a thermostat to the mat, because you don't want it getting too hot in there either, or too cool. So then you have to take other things into consideration, like is there too much ventilation to keep the heat/moisture correct? Should you even use a heat mat, or should you heat up the whole room? These are the things that people over think or under think and screw up on, and kill their spiders because of. The only thing that prepares you for it is research and experience with moisture dependent spiders, and there are many of those with less demanding needs that people choose to start with, before they kill a $400 mature female blondie. Blondies are known for having molting issues in captivity. They're known for being on the more touchy end of the care spectrum. That's why we say it's not a starter spider. But as I said, if you really research, and really pay attention to your care, you could conceivably do just fine. I've never owned a blondie by the way, but I had a male stirmi mature and die naturally in my care. Blondies are awesome... It's a $400 dollar gamble though, if you find an adult blondie to buy, and there are plenty of big, pretty spiders that don't require heat mats and special moisture conditions, and could live through noob mistakes much easier. That's why we stress research, with any spider you buy. If you do buy one, I recommend a sling, so you can grow with the spider..it's often the best way to learn, and it won't be such a hit to the wallet if you screw up and lose one. Good luck:)

Iputtie

3 Year Member
Thank you, and based off of what you're telling me, I'll just get a Brachypelma smithi. But I'd really like some more info on the terrarium size, what to do with the terrarium what should I put in it, what to do with the substrate, even how to get a substrate! I mean, do you make it?... I need to get a heat map right? Cause it is cold in here. I just don't know where I can find all these factors, and details anywhere else..

SasyStace

3 Year Member
This entire post makes me uncomfortable :| but that's just me.. Welcome to the forum I am also from the US and Jaime's tarantula is AMAZING I have two slings soon to be juvis and many other purchases from her- nothing wrong with the template and shipping is perfect.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
what ever happened to doing your own due diligence? there is info in every direction you can look on the internet but yet he seems to want a step by step on every aspect... its not just you feeling that way sasystace!!! I feel bad for T's that end up with ppl like this guy! I mean come on man! there are noobs which I can completely understand because you gotta start somewhere but when you act like this you just don't need to own a T plain and simple

Latest posts